Thigh Pain/ Discomfort

Posted , 8 users are following.

Greetings all, I am nine weeks post RTHR and am experiencing slight pain and discomfort in my right thigh and difficulty walking upon standing from a sitting position. The pain and discomfort last for a few steps after which it feels ok. I am currently not using any assisted devices for walking. Has anyone experienced similar symptoms? Are these normal healing issues which will dissipate over time? Any thoughts?   

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ranger Jack (great handle)!

The pain and discomfort you describe - getting underway after sitting is very familiar. I think it is partly that the muscles and other soft tissue tighten up fairly quickly when you sit for any period of time. Does it ease up after walking a bit?

This might also be the IT band that I have spoken about in other posts - may be worth speaking to a PT about this as it is very simple to resolve although you need to be really committed to the exercises to resolve it.

It takes quite a while for the connective tissues to heal fully and as one of their functions is to hold the hip in the right place, it is really worthwhile respecting their healing time.

I am at 5 months and still get 'resistance' when getting up from a sitting position for a while (esp getting out of the car). But it is getting easier and I feel about 80% or as close as I can get until my other hip is replaced!

Patience has never been my strongest suit but this journey has taught me a lot about that virtue.

Good luck and let us know how you fare.

L

• Posted

Thank you for your detailed and sincere response. Best regards, RJ
  • Posted

Did this pain just start? Are you sitting more lately? Or moving more? I had fascia sticking to my quad which was extremely painful upon walking, but it was right after surgery not at several weeks after.pt resolved my problem.
    • Posted

Thank you for your prompt response. The pain started upon returning to my normal routine which includes daily stationary biking for 30 minutes. I was hoping by now all would be healed. However, at 67 yo, everything takes more time. Best regards, RJ 
  • Posted

RJ,

I am 13 1/2 weeks post and have the exact same issue.  I now stand up for several seconds before moving and once I get started the pain resolves quickly .... and more and more quickly as time is passing.  All good.

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your experience. I feel better already. Best regards, RJ.
  • Posted

Hi Ranger Jack....yes everything you are experiencing is "par for the course"...Even now-14 weeks out- after sitting for a while, say an hour or so, when I first get up it is a little difficult and slightly painful to "get started" and as you say, after three steps or so, it goes away or gets much easier.  I think the muscles,etc, get stiff and then just need to loosen up.  I had the posterier method and many muscles and stuff needed to be cut and stretched etc...my doctor said it is going ok (altho some people have healed sooner than me) and to give it another month or so and I should have much more noticeably good results. 

You did not mention if you have "lower back issues" as well ( I do) if so, those issues certainly go into play as we try to navigate around.  But I would say that for 9 weeks out you are doing great.

• Posted

Thank you for the informative and inspiring comments. Best regards, RJ.
    • Posted

hi R.J.

great responses !  it takes time and we do get impatient and frustrated when we realize that we "are not there" yet - 

How is your gait? are you able  to walk without a limp? eventhough it is great to hear that you are not using any walking aids at the moment, if you are still limping please continue to use a cane - it is so easy to go to the default pre-op mode - 

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Renee, hug felt great. Gait is good, no limp, completing a mile walk in 18 minutes. No soreness, just that awkwardness after siting a while. Thank you for your kind response and encouragement. Best regards, RJ
  • Posted

Hi I sympathise, I have had the exact same thing it got so much better at around 12 weeks, but up to that point I was wondering if it would ever go.  Now I have no trouble (other than back pain) I do loads of squats so wondering if this helped.  I have also taken the arms off my office chair at work so I force use of my muscles. Hope it resolves itself as mine did - eventually.
    • Posted

Thank you. Its very encouraging to know that 12 weeks seems to be the healing threshhold. I too suffered from back pain during the first six weeks. Upon release from most restrictions by the surgeon, I resumed chair yoga to gain flexibility and strenght. I highly recommend it for back pain and muscle relaxation. Best wishes, RJ  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.