Things that have helped me to get better, but not perfect :)

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Everyone!  Thank you for all that you share.  It means a lot to me.  Recently someone here asked me to tell about what has helped me to change from  bedridden to somewhat functioning.  In response I wrote a super long message.  Unfortunately, my long message was moderated, and I haven't seen it reappear.  So, I have decided to write again.  However, this time I will just mention a few things and then follow up with a message later.

My doctor prescribed for me cyanocobalamin immunizations.  This is B vitamins in common language.  It makes a difference for me.  Some people don't absorb b vitamins from food well.

I noticed a difference when I finally was able to  (most of the time), stop pushing myself to work even when my body was saying NO WAY.  And to stop feeling guilty about it.  This whole issue has been a big one for me.   I just recently had an experience in which I felt that I was caught in a situation in which I had to go way past my limits.   The result was that I ended up sick. 

It took me a long time to decide to do it. I know it is hard, but I feel that it made a difference when I decided to go completely off of sweets.  I don't know what to do about this one.  I want to let myself have a little bit, but I'm afraid that I won't be able to stop with just a little bit, so the being off of them works really well for me.

Hope this helps someone!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I'm very pleased for you that you have found something to help, Dawn.  My doctor did a blood test regarding Vitamin B12 because my mother was deficient in it and had to have shots.  However, my test showed normal levels, so that was that.  I do use B12 bilingual tablets and my vitamins are loaded with B's.  

I agree with you that it is difficut to go off sweets completely.  I can manage for several weeks, but then I fall off the wagon.  I will think about what you wrote regarding going off all sweets completely.  I've never been one to eat a lot of them, but perhaps even a little is not good.  Worth cosidering.  

Again, I'm glad you are feeling better.  

• Posted

Hi PHillis, I remember you from other postings!  My posting is just about things that I've noticed have made a difference.  I'm no longer bed-ridden, but I still struggle and have some bed-ridden days.  Other times I have some pretty great days.  I'm just thankful to not be bed-ridden all of the time!  I think the person who asked me what has helped was new to having ME/CFS.

• Posted

Hi Dawn,

I'm not sure I understand why sweets are a problem? If you're telling me that not eating sweets and to start taking Vitamin B will help I'll start immediately, in fact I'll try anything to make me feel better!!!

Regards

Paul

• Posted

Hi Paul,

Yes, I think most of us would do almost anything to recover!  I hear you!

I have not made a full recovery.  I am just listing the things that I have noticed have helped me some.  I don't fully know why going off of sugar made a difference for me.

• Posted

Hi Dawn,

May I share my favorite dessert without added sugar and no measurements? Add as much or as little as you like.

Cooked squash/sweet potatoes/yams (not spaghetti squash), any combo, alone or combined, it doesn't matter.  

Top with blueberries and cherries

Sprinkled with cinnamon and a touch of nutmeg.

Mix all together.  Warm them all up in the micro and serve with cream or thick milk, I use goats milk.  

It reminds me of grandma's rice pudding.  Especially the stringier squashes, the tecture is like rice.  

If I have left over cooked buckwheat hot cerial, I mix it with them too for added nutrition. 

• Posted

Thanks Dee!  You know, some doctors say that the anti-inflammatory properties of cherries and blueberries are particularly good for those with ME or Fibro!

• Posted

I don't see an MD anymore, instead a ND for real help.  She suggested eating only dark fruits in limited amounts. Cherries, blackberries, blue etc.)  The best antiinflamatory for me is staying away from anything light in color foods like sugar, white potatoes, and most all fruit.  However, I have noticed that maple syrup and molassass do not trigger the inflamation for me, but I still only have miniscule amounts.

I have Celiacs and Polymyositis and am trying to heal with food alone. I refuse to live my life going to MD's who have failed miserably over the years.  Nutrition is the key to wellness, I do believe that!  

Looking forward to hearing more about antiinflamatory living!

• Posted

Yes, that helps! I've often wondered if the sugar could be contributing. But, as I am so addicted, I find it daunting to try and wean off. Your posts have helped me to understand I don't have to keep pushing myself then feel guilty when I can accomplish what I want. I want to have a life, but work is all I seem to be able to manage. That is not a life. But, for now, I just need to be gentle with myself and turn it over to the universe. On the B shots. Was it just one shot or several? Could you take B vitamins and get the same result? I've tried B vitamins but didn't feel any different. Also, are you often hungry? I feel hungry all the time! My friends say I have a tapeworm. lol Also, is your blood pressure low? Mine is and always has been. 

Thank you for your contributions!

• Posted

Good on you for being kind to your you!  

If you are hungry, eat, but eat healthy food, meat and cruciferous veggies and snack on nuts and seeds and some dark fruit.  I cannot say it loud enough, STAY AWAY FROM PROCESSED FOODS!!!

I have CD, I always had low BP, low iron, low energy, depression, hallucinations came later rashes . . . I was put in the mental ward and never tested for CD because I was labeled with a MI.  I know now that MI is a manifestation of a physical illness and most illness can be well treated with the food we eat.  

We need to stop eating processed food, it is killing the nations. "Garbage in Garbage Out", EX: US politics.  One of the possible president's brags about eating fast food and how healthy he is, but I beg to differ. Look at how he thinks. Garbage in, garbage out 😱  

Just saying. 

• Posted

Since some people have an absorbtion problem with b vitamins, the shots are better for them (if their doc with prescribe, that is).

I was also so very addicted to sugar! 

And yes to the low blood pressure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.