think I might be FIRED due to illness from Diabetes & Hypertension. 28yr old female STRESSED & DEPRE

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm 5'8ft 139lb 28yr old insulin-dependent diabetic Female, diagnosed at age 21 (I was 120 lbs back then). I also suffer from PCOS and hirsutism/amenorrhoea as a result. I also was diagnosed with major depression. After my mom died last Xmas, I was diagnosed with Hypertension and I've missed a lot of work this year due to being hospitalized twice because of HTN and episodes where my ankles/feet swell, my left arm hurts & the vein swells, I feel like I can't breathe/pressure on chest, the room is spinning, dizziness, nausea, disorientation, extreme drowsiness, weak/tired, hands shaking, feeling like my body is "vibrating/pulsing", blurry vision, headache, strange vaginal bleeding/spotting after episodes brought on by stress/anxiety.This bleeding would last for weeks, still is currently. I have also collapsed as well. My blood pressure would consistently be 151/120, 148/118 etc o dint know how high it would reach during my episodes because I was too disoriented to check.

I take insulin & amaryl for my DM, coreg, crestor, enalapril plavix for HTN as prescribed by the hospital. My GP put me on approvel, but both that and enalapril failed to control my HTN, so I was put on Twynsta last week and it has brought my BP down (highest I get is 121/98). The side effects seem extremely strong though.

My bosses/ the company that I work for, they seem very angry about me missing so much work on/off this year. I tried very hard to get better fast, I was their top worker, but I feel very much a failure & horrid because I couldn't just bounce back, I kept having these relapses/episodes and my medication would be changed. I haven't been to work within the last month, and I think I'm going to be fired. I'm very stressed out, trying to force myself to get better but I feel overwhelmed sad my employers don't give much regard to my conditions at all. I know I've missed a lot of work but I'm trying to get better/more functional. I'm very stressed/anxious sad sad sad I think I'm going to get fired soon sad

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Is there a trade union where you work? You should make enquiries of the relevant Union to join if there isn't. Then you should receive advice, support and representation. Good luck.

• Posted

Yes there is a union with the company I work for and union fees have been deducted from my salary for the last 5 years or so. I really hadn't thought of that as an option at all. I've always been made to feel as though I'm 100% in the wrong. My immediate boss called me on the phone & told me "many people have diabetes and aren't sick" when I had been out sick, totally disregarding my other condition or the fact that I was hospitalised for it. Even though I submitted certification from the general hospital & private hospital he acted as though he didn't know I was warded in a meeting with HR. The HR head for our division told me that they once had a director who expected employees to "work until they're within an inch of their life regardless of medical conditions" and that I'm "lucky he's not the director anymore" 😨 he also said that "many employees are diabetic" 😕 no matter how many times I tried to explain my situation. I guess because i don't look the part, they also threatened that I could go before the company's medical board (I have no fears of such as my situation is legitimate, I have no idea how to prove this as the hospitals medical certs, and my GP medical certs seemingly isn't sufficient 😢wink

I had over 3 months vacation leave which I wasn't allowed to access as my boss wanted to go on 2 months vacation and needed me to get better ASAP to cover for him. I was told by the same HR person when I needed time off after my second hospitalisation that I should get my GP to sign me off. But my boss was making a lot of complaints about how he needed me back ASAP so I went back out after under 2 weeks. They said that I was taking too many days off and should come out as soon as I could. I hadn't gotten to do my holter test & echo test. I was still not 100% well, on a battery of new pills and then I relapsed and had new episodes. I just felt like my body was worn down & I was struggling to function as I normally used to it like anyone else. When I fell back sick, they attacked me saying that I was being disruptive to productivity. So I had no idea what to do! 😢😦 it was like, I was being punished for being sick & being on certified sick leave, so when I had no choice but to push myself to come out & be better immediately. Then when I did push myself my body kept failing me 💔

I don't know how people recover in one fell swoop, I wish I could do that but I'm having a really difficult time getting things under control while juggling everything else. I hadn't thought of speaking to the union as I was under the impression that I was in the wrong completely and honestly just ashamed 😢

• Posted

You are being discriminated against on the grounds of ill health. Are you in the UK.? What Union are you in? Make it a priority to contact your Union. If the local officer is not helpful then contact the regional paid official at your union's head office. This is also bullying and harassment . Your company will have policies and procedures for dealing with sickness, bullying and harassment, grievances and disciplinaries. Get copies from HR. You have nothing to be ashamed of. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.