Thinking I have a disease now

Posted , 2 users are following.

I came across an article online about someone having MND(motor neurone disease) and since then I have felt sick to my stomach and worried thinking what if I have it because I have had body twitches mainly legs, waking up in the night gasping for air and generally feeling unwell for a long time now. Im 27 btw. I have seen neurology and they like everyone has said its anxiety. The nhs website said sufferers can wake in the night due to lack of oxygen and its made me think does that mean me waking up gasping is a symptom of it. I feel scared but also daft for allowing my mind to think this way which causes me to feel ill. But what if I do generally have some disease? How can I feel ill ie dizzy, nauseous, faint, spaced out, twitches and palpitations and nothing be wrong?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Stop reading or searching anything unless its meditations or calming mindfullness. Anyone with anxiety will absorb and manifest symptoms its some perk of having anxiety. I just read an article abiut how they found some info that depression and anxiety is from malfunctioning brain cells. So maybe in the next decade something bigger and better will come to light to helo us all. It is just to severe to be some negative thought that we can control, i believe there is something behind it. Anyway close the book, close the app, go keep busy. Half the info is misunderstood or just incorrect to begin with.
    • Posted

See my reply to Moo88. Remember the brain has control of every part of the body through electrical signals. It can control the secretion of hormones by the endocrine glands, it can divert blood flow, it can make the heart beat fast or slow. It can cause muscles to twitch. It can even reduce or increase the body's level of immunity to diseases. Thus the brain can become a direct or indirect cause of physical symptoms and even physical illness! The brain is in turn controlled by our thoughts. So our own thoughts could be the cause of the malady. Imagining a physical illness will aggravate the situation because now the brain will try to duplicate the symptoms of the imagined illness, leading to a conviction that one does have the illness.
  • Posted

It is practically impossible to zero in on an illness from symptoms since there is a plethora of illnesses producing the same symptoms. To add to the problem the brain plays a role in producing physical symptoms without a physical cause. For example, giddiness, palpitations, chest pain, tremors, breathlessness, muscle twitches, low or high blood pressure, increase in blood cholesterol level, fast or irregular heart beats, nausea, and even peptic ulcer, all apparently physical symptoms can be produced or promoted by the brain. In such cases physical tests always give normal results. Such conditions are known as psychosomatic. Hence one must never conclude one has a physical illness unless it is revealed by tests. Also one must rely on tests to diagnose the illness once it is shown to exist. Until then one can assume the symptoms to be of mental origin and feel happy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.