Third op revealed infection around the plate.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

I had my first bunionectomy December 2014, needed further surgery in July '15 on the same toe which needed more corrective surgery, this time having a fusion and realignment with plate and screws.

My third surgery took place this Tuesday. When the surgeon opened the scar he saw an infection which he flushed out and stitch me back up. This op was to take out the plate and screw, realignment and to close the gap between the toes, then put the 'metal work' back.

I'm now on antibiotics and have an outpatient appt tomorrow to find out what infection it is and further surgery to come.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Terri, you normally do not fuse a joint unless there is severe arthritis in the toe joint. Did your surgeon tell you this. It also shows on an x-ray. 
    • Posted

Hi,

yes I have arthritis in that toe. The X Ray showed that the fusion had worked.

• Posted

Well then it is fine. Just clarifying that a bunion is not the same. Priority is always that the patient has less or no pain afterwards. Great, so it worked for you.
    • Posted

First op bunionectomy,second was fusion and realignment, the third op should have been the last to correct the gap, but the surgery couldn't go ahead. So basically I'm still at square one!
    • Posted

A gap after a fusion? Fusion means joint screwed together so no gap. I do not quite understand that procedure

• Posted

Yes, a gap between big toe and next toe, the surgeon said he "off shot" it, leaving a gap which needed corrective surgery.
    • Posted

I have been a regular on here and have commented about my ops a lot!

First op bunionectomy 

Second op, corrective surgery along with fusion and realignment due to arthritis,which left me with a large gap between big toe and the next one as surgeon said he "off shot" it.

Third op to correct the large gap as I'm unable to wear any shoe only boots.

• Posted

Hi Terri, Sorry to hear about your foot. You have been so unlucky.  I have had bunion surgery and neuromas excised 8 mths ago and my big toe is still painful.  I can only wear boots or flats . After surgery the surgeon said that the toe was arthritic and he hoped it would work. I am seeing him again in March after from reading your mail. I feel that the pain could indicate that the surgery hasn't worked because pain remains. I hope your infection clears and correction takes place for you. I will let you know if I need fusion because I would love to hear your advice. Regards Filly.
    • Posted

Hi Filly, Thank you.

I would have the fusion again, it was painful but not really that bad, and my pain did indicate that something wasn't right.

Need the dressing changed twice this coming week, not looking forward to it, the knots removed on Friday and seeing my consultant then about what to do next.

It's just strange that if the surgeon on my second op didn't off shoot my toe, then I would not have known I had an infection!

It's one of this things that if you are not happy with the outcome of the surgery then we have to keep on letting our consultants know!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.