This headache just won't go away (Amitriptyline)

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi, Ive had a headache for the last 6 months every single day, Ive had a brain mri which they've ruled out a brain tumour, anyway the Doctors have started me on Amitrptyline every night 10mg, does anyone know when it will start working? Please help? 

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

About a week. You may need to go up to 20mg. I had it for neck pain. I have up on it due to the side effects. I was drowsy all the time. Dry mouth to but I could live with that. The wife said I snorted a lot too but can't say I noticed that myself lol
  • Posted

Hi,I have had daily bad headaches for 3 years now normally around 24 days a month, they put me on amitriptyline 10mg starting out for the first 4 weeks,the first 8 days I felt a bit better and was very happy so increased after time and believed it was making a difference until 5 weeks and all returned and from what I knew about amitriptyline I wanted to come off before I became dependent or got any sideaffects , I'm sorry I can't give you any answers at the moment and believe me I feel your pain,I have a hospital appointment end of May and will let you know if I have anymore answers,enjoy the weekend weather 😊
  • Posted

Thanks for replying, I take before I go to sleep will it work? I can live with the side effects. Thank you again
    • Posted

Yes they will. I would take it a couple of hours before you go to bed if you want it to help you sleep. The earlier you take the less drowsy you will be the next day if you get that some people don't.
    • Posted

Hey Tony, I can live with the drowsiness, I just want my headaches to go away! Do you have any idea how long it will take before they go away?

Thank you!

• Posted

It really varies, some say a week others a month. Sorry it's not straight forward it's just that type of drug.
    • Posted

Okay thank you ahh just wish the pain went!!!!!!!!1

Have a good day

• Posted

Hi Talha

I just got these tablets from my neurologist this week as I have a silent migrane with vertigo !

Please let us know how you get on with this it says on the net 4 weeks but that seems to long ??

• Posted

Thanks for replying Keith, I will let you know and you let me know as well please, when do you take them and how much MG? Thanks again
    • Posted

Hi

Just the 10 mg also I take it around 9:30pm I seem to have anxiety and panic attacks (nothing to do with this drug) not sure what's going on I have been off work 9 weeks

• Posted

Yep missing quite a lot as the pains just too much to do anything, I take mine at 11pm and I go to sleep at about 12pm,

Thank you

• Posted

Amitriptyline made me irritable and I felt a little anxious on it. I'm not sure if it was direct effect from the increase in noradenalin or because I felt drowsy.
    • Posted

Did they work? If so how long and when did you take them before they started working? 

Thanks

• Posted

Hiya. Talha, ..Amithriptilyne is  the only med I take for Fibro...gives me a great pain free sleep..- no pain at all...still feel a tad drowsy waking up...but that sleep is what makes this Fibro manageable for me..only get flare ups now..once  it was just constant  pain almost everywhere and sleepless nights..I take it 7pm before bed..it really does work wonders ( for me..that is,) we are all very different..I take 25 mg...never had it increased either ...started on 50mg but I was like a zombie...all the next day..dropped to 10mg for a while-still not too good but 25 mg is perfect for me.if 10 mg doesn't work, maybe you need it increased....it is actually an antidepressant that works excellent for pain..it numbs the nerve ends and stops the pain from jumping on to the next nerve..hence a very painful body...the antidepressant is probably a lil bonus as most of get depressed from time to time..yes it does knock me out to give me that great sleep which is just sooo needed, to be able to deal with the pain etc the next day..but once I'm up and dressed..I'm fine.....I really do still..16yrs down the track..have to be woken up in the morning....when I was first on them I was like a zombie..but it's like a miracle med for me... it takes a while to settle in, perhaps a couple ofmonths.....also, please remember that less stress is the key to Fibro....be blessed..have a lovely day..:-) xxx
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply, Does this med relieve all the pain? When I went for my brain MRI I was hoping it was a brain tumour as I am suffering a lot! I just wish it goes away, Hope this med works. Thanks again 
    • Posted

Morning Christine,I've been searching for 3 years now why and what my headaches are,I suffer minimum 24 days out of every month And every 10 days I get an enormous debilitating headache where I take sumatriptin, history of pain for me is 17 years ago I damaged the nerves in both legs and took until last year 400mg tramadol and 3600mg gabapentin daily but last year reduced to 100..150mg tramadol and 2100mg gabapentin, well I've been told the headaches maybe due to rebound headaches (previous meds) amongst other guesses, had scan all ok,then 14 months ago I started having a sensitive feeling on the left side of the back of my head and the last 7 months this is always with the headaches and pain is around the same side,the sensitivity has got worse to the stage of touching that spot (roughly 6inch x 2inch) gives me unbelievable pain,I took amitriptyline Xmas time but maybe not long enough as I feared it because was given it in the early days for my nerve pain in my legs (not a good time),question is and I am clutching at straws ,do I have what you have or any ideas of what I might have ,any advise would be much appreciated, my gabapentin sorts out the leg nerve pain and bad days I take morphine or liquid tramadol but the head pain just ruins my day,one other thing is that when I walk or keep busy the pain is not so severe but I can only walk 2 x 30 mins daily,also when I lay down and my head touches a cushion the pain is worsened but I must lay down as I can only sit for me 20 mins at a time (what a life 😀),I have my head read at the hospital end of May but don't want the normal "try this,take that" ,so information is the key,any help is welcomed and thanks for your time,hope you have a nice Sunday. ☺
    • Posted

Absolutely does for me..that's why I can sleep so well.i knew a women who took it for migraines too, works really well too, it's really incredible..have you thought of Botox for debilitating migraine, my sister in law had migraines daily for years..in the end her doctor told her the only thing left to try for her was Botox.....she has an injection every three months...no more migraines...apparently they give it to people who are spastic or just have it in their legs etc...they end up not getting thise horrid muscle spasms...so very painful they are......some have even walked normally from it .hope it helps....doesn't sound very conventional...but often remedies aren't..be blessed Tayha..:-) xx
    • Posted

Hiya duracell Dave...I've pretty much explained it all to talha71666..hooe it helps...:-) be blessed..
    • Posted

Yep think I'll try that if amitriptyline don't work, I'm having some joint pain aswell so thinking of having a blood test for lekumia or a fungus.

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Duracell Dave, like you, I had migraines that increased to the point where I had a spot on my temporal area and one at the back of my neck that was sore to touch and lie on with the pillow. Triptans stopped working and then finally I went to see a surgeon who injected 50iu into my right supra spinous and right temporal area. The injection itself triggered a six day migraine but thereafter I had a good improvement. The Botox wore off after seven weeks and then I finally opted for surgery with Dr Meuhlberger in Berlin. I am at day eight post surgery and all that number pins and needles feeling has gone - the throbbing sensation beside my ear has gone and I am eight days migraine free. The Botox test the surgeon performed I think is different from the neurologist Botox protocol (I think a neurologist puts 8 to 12 iu of Botox into a much larger number of spaces) as opposed to a much higher 50iu dose into the trigger areas. Anyway - just wanted to offer some hope. I finally see a very positive future ahead if me and am sorry I didn't see a surgeon sooner. I will post again in a month re final outcome of the surgery.
    • Posted

Thanks for that it quite cheered me up as these headaches are awful , I am seeing a surgeon in heidelberg university, its great there I had wires in my spine and a 9 year battery in my arse (I love saying that), when my mum rings I say I cant talk now mum as I have to recharge my arse smile enough of that, its a teaching hospital so things happen fast and the drs , nurses are super,like a private hospital,I told my wife about the botox she was grateful to hear a new spin on this nightmare, so its worth a try and I will ask when I'm in on the 21st may,I really dont want any meds as I'm on 100mg tramadol and 2100mg gabapentin,funny the gabapentin is given to people with headaches that why they think I have rebound headaches,but now you've given me hope once more I will look forward to next month and again many thanks,oh and my wife is german and we met while I worked in berlin , anyway have a nice sunny week, smile
    • Posted

Your response made me smile - I can see you are aptly named Duracell!!. Yes don't give up the hope. I had 40 years of migraines prior to getting this 9 day relief. It is still early days yet but all signs are very positive. I initially attended the migraine surgery centre in London to meet the surgeon, in case that is close to you. Let us know how you get on. Best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.