This is a phrase I've always questioned, what do you think?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi...I've always wondered about a phrase that when younger, haunted me.  The phrase is:  "Only the good die young".  I used to think if I didn't die young, I wasn't a good person.  Now, of course, being older, I realize what the saying means but I'm curious about what anyone out there thinks.  

Will you share with us, please.

warm thoughts,

Frustrated

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I found this as you picqued my curiosity:

'The long history of the saying began with the ancient version, 'Whom the gods love dies young,' and a touching story of how the proverb originated. As told by the Greek historian Herodotus in 'History' (c. 445 B.C.), the story concerns two especially favored youths who, replacing two missing oxen, hitched themselves to a cart and carried their mother to a festival for the goddess Hera. At the temple, the grateful mother asked Hera to reward her sons with the greatest gift anyone might receive, whereupon her sons lay down to sleep and never woke again."

The most recent version, 'The good die young,' can be traced back to William Wordsworth's 'The Excursion' and the lines, 'The good die first, And they whose hearts are dry as summer dust burn Burn to the socket'." From "Wise Words and Wives' Tales: The Origins, Meanings and Time-Honored Wisdom of Proverbs and Folk Sayings Olde and New" by Stuart Flexner and Doris Flexner'

What do you think it means? I used to think I'd die young but clearly not! lol

• Posted

Hi Georgia ~

Thank you for your response and in such great detail.  I didn't know all that you mentioned but of course it had to start somewhere.  Ha! the day of the internet it would seem that everyone just looks things up if they need information.  However, I'm from old school and forget this is at my hands and I just don't think about it all the time.

In any case, it is, in my opinion, better to talk about issues/questions than look it up as it has a coldness to it. I'm afraid that, unfortunately, the internet may supersede any human contact and sooner than we think.

With that said, I appreciate your time and thought into what you shared with me.  The question was really quite simple and not one to make people afraid.  You asked 'what do I think it means' in the question I originally had asked, I mentioned that when younger, I was afraid that if I didn't die young, I was not a good person.  I know I'm a good person but young kids think much different.

Thank you  once again, GeorgiaS

Frustrated

• Posted

I'm always looking things up and I've learnt so much, such as how to live on vastly reduced electricity in the home; how to make it a more healthy environment etc. I've found out so much about my health and how to improve it. I don't think I'd be as well as I am today without the information on the internet.

That said I'm still a great book lover and am always reading text books as I'm studying for a degree, although I still need the internet for that.

• Posted

For me this is just one of those phrases that have been around forever and really should not be taken too seriously. For example The Devil takes care of his own is another that my mother used to bandy about.  God helps those who help themselves, could me misconstrued as stealing, as another example.  These sayings should not really have any worrying effects on anyone.
    • Posted

Hi Elizabeth ~

Nicely worded!  I appreciate your response and in such a way that makes perfect sense.  My kids tease me and tell me I'm too naive and when things like this happens, I might have to agree with them...at times.

Anyway, thank you, again.

Frustrated

• Posted

Whenever I hear the saying 'Only the good die young', I always reply 'I am going to live forever then'. ;-)

I am not a bad person, but am not a saint either, and it is only said in jest.

I always think of this saying when someone I know has passed away....they are usually lovely people, taken from us at way before an acceptable age.

It does seem to be that the nasty people of this world seem to go on to live till a ripe old age, too.

• Posted

Friends of mine, who were very good people, died young and Jimmy Saville lived to a ripe old age! Case in point. eek

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.