thoracic curve to the left

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi wondering if anyone else has had this. My 14 yr old daughter has recently been diagnosed with scoliosis, she has a 42 degree curve to the left in T4-T7. Left sided curves seem to be very unusual and I am wondering if anyone else has any experience of having one so high up.She has had MRI and xrays and is due to have CT scan and more xrays before her surgery which will be in the next few months. I believe they intend to insert rods and fuse her thoracic spine. She is extremely sporty, plays a lot of netball and does a lot of dancing, will she still be able to carry on. Any advice would be very welcome.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi traceyjc - my daughter has just come out of hospital after having surgery to correct her curved spine.  It was very nerve wracking and hard to see my daughter after the surgery as she was quite nauseuos after the anaesthetic but after five days in hospital she is recovering really well.  A little stiff at times but each day gets beter.  She is really looking forward to wearing her nice dresses in the summer now she has a straight back. 

After all the worry of surgery and the tough moments of seeing her in pain, I can actually say the benefits from the surgery are well worth it.

When is your daughter due her operation?

All the best

-x-

• Posted

Hi , my daughter is 10 and has an upper curve of 36 degrees , we are trying a brace and Schroth Therapy to try and stop the progression of the curve, I know your daughter has a curve of 42, we are trying to avoid surgery, I am not sure whether you have no choice other than surgery . I just thought you would like to know , as I am not sure what the threshold for surgery is.

I am only saying this as your daughter may still have some growing to do.

• Posted

I have just realised I put T4-T7 and it should say T1-T7 oops.

Gcorry3 glad your daughter is recovering well, we are still waiting for all the final CT scans and xrays then we should be given a date for the op, they say it will be in the next few months.

Stevie13 We haven't really been given any other options of treatment. Her curve is very acute and this seems to be a concern for the doctors. They don't think she will grow much more maybe another centimetre or so and this shouldn't be a problem apparently.

• Posted

Hi Tracey - I myself am in a very similar situation to your daughter! I have a left curve in my thoracic spine (6months ago it was 50' so it'll be around 53 now) and I have got my surgery scheduled for July 8th of this year. 

The fusion will mean that she doesn't do any sport for 3-6months, and no contact sports for around a year, but sports like netball are okay to go back to eventually. Dancing may prove slightly harder as the fused part of her spine will not be able to bend but as long as she is careful about what she does then hopefully it would be ok (after her spine has fully heled of course!)

I am very aware how hard it has been for me so if she or you ever want to talk I am always here and willing to answer any questions you may have! Feel free to message me smile

Good luck to you both! Everything will be ok soon enough smile

Izzie x

• Posted

Hi there, yes she will. I have a high left handed thoracic curve over 45 degrees. I am 50 now and had spinal fusion and Harrington rod fitted 38 years ago. I compete and train horses professionally, and have always enjoyed sport. Only thing I can't do is a forwards roll !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.