Thoracic pain / leg numbness pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a T5 compression fracture in January, braced for 4.5 months, now I have varied levels of back pain radiating through shoulder blades to the chest wall, with left leg numbness with shooting pains from hip to toe for which I am prescribed MST.

I lie awake most nights until 2-3 am and lucky if I get 3-4 hours sleep intermittent after that.

I don't want to upset my wife as she has put up with this ailment for so long that now when she says how you feeling I simply respond with a stock response of "mild pain'" or "coping" when inside I'm struggle to stop myself saying the truth which is that 80% of the time I'm basically holding it together and that I think over read myself to tears most nights.

And hell when I get some pain relief she thinks I have OCD because I'm restless with the time

Anyone out there tackle this problem of wanted to be honest but protect your wife and children from repeating "I'm in agony"

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

@Paul529 we are all very good at hiding our pain. Even from our spouses. Personally I get so tired of hearing myself say how bad I hurt that I don't say it very often. In fact one day I was in the hospital getting ready for a procedure and the nurse asked me if I had any pain well I automatically said no without thinking. So later when another nurse asked me if I had paid I told them yes I did because I was unable to take my pain meds that morning. Well my inconsistency made them think I was drug seeking. And it did make me look pretty bad. Needless to say they did not give me any pain meds.

• Posted

@amkoffee that is exactly it right there, sick of hearing my own voice saying I'm in pain.

My wife is of course always checking because I did manage to carry on working for two weeks in pain with the spinal fracture because the A&E suspected a sole rib fracture on the chest X-Ray initially so now she's cautious of of I say my pains a 4 she doubles it, heart is in the right place and I value her support, just shielding her a bit I suppose as I know it must be frustrating for spouses/family not to be able to take the pain away or "fix it"

• Posted

If I say anything to my husband about my pain he wants to try to fix me. And of course there is no fixing me. Fortunately he doesn't ask very often

• Posted

I am open about my pain. I feel better if I am. If I hide it, the pain is worse because I am dealing with trying to hide it and it just makes my pain worse. Just try to be open and I think it may help your pain. Try drinking a lot of ginger root. Cut off the skin, cut it in chunks and put it in a mug with water and heat it in the microwave. You can add stevie for sweetness and lemon or honey. It helps with inflammation and pain. It helps with arthritis pain. It helps indigestion and ma y other things. I am in pain right now so I do understand what you're going through. I hope you feel better. Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.