Thoracic spine herniation, are these normal side effects?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I recently found out I have a bulging small herniation at T7-8 with slight cord flattening. There is also a small left-sided disc / osteophyte at T5-6 with effacement central thecal sac. I found this out about 2 weeks ago, and I get pretty bad anxiety as it is... so I'm wondering if these side effects are similiar to anyone else's or if anyone can relate to how I'm feeling? I have been getting burning neck pain, headaches (I get chronic migraines so that's actually somewhat normal for me), some rib pain on the left side where the herniation is, chest pain and sometimes it feels difficult to breathe in...like shallow breathing, muscle pain in the arms and just weird feelings like heat almost, and shocks. Before I got the MRI that showed what's going on, I was only getting some neck pain and mostly chest pain (which is why I got the MRI to begin with), and some random muscle pains in my arms but nothing like how I feel it now. Since I found out about the herniation, I feel as if everything has heightened. I don't know if it's because I am hyper aware of what is going on and it's my anxiety? Or if this is completely normal when you have a herniation in your spine. Since I've never dealt with this before, I obviously don't know. I have also been feeling EXHAUSTED and sometimes lightheaded, but mainly just very very tired..the past 2 days. Once again, could be my mind and my anxiety..where my mind is so exhausted that I'm getting physically tired. But what if the herniation is getting worse? These feelings are so bizarre to me. I am seeing a physical therapist in 2 days and have been getting help from my cousin who's a PT, and today I've been paying loads of attention to how I sit, stand, everything. I'm very aware of it all.

Anyways, I realize this is very long...but if anyone can relate, please comment. I need some opinions...I feel like I'm going absolutely bonkers.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

These are my same symptons starting when I had scs implant trial. The doctors however said my mru only showed minimal changes. They have told me they don't know why I have these symptons and they never heard of them. Sending me to pc doc, saying arthritis then to internal doc to be checked for hernia. My back is leaning to one side now. Looks and feels like pulled muscles all the way to upper stmach and I also have had breathing problems every since my trial and I know it is not imagination or nerves no matter how they address me. All I know is I never had a back problem or breathing problem before the implant which was very painful and left me very bruised. I also had severe muscle spasms after, which went all the way around to upper abdomen and esphagus and chest. More symptons but too long to go into. What started you symptoms?

• Posted

I'm sorry for the delay! That is insane! My symptoms started very randomly and abruptly, honestly. I started having this pinching pain in my back and then chest pains. And now I've been dealing with acid reflux, which I don't know if that's a cause of the herniation.

• Posted

I also had the pinching from my vertebrae out to shoulder blade from the SCS trial which never stopped but pinching would also move around to neck, and lower back into legs all the while I'm having breathing problems like it is my lungs. To date I have had

Visit to er where heart was ok lungs clear, two more heart test ( as no one understood THIS IS NOT MY HEART, RATHER, SOMETHING HAPPENED AT SCS TRIAL!)3 mri of neck, another er visit and cat scan of nec,. 1 mri of thorac, a chest xray and a neurologist and no one knows what is wrong. The nuerolgist pa. recomended chiropractor which suggested to me same thing I always realized, that my whole spine has shifted out of alignment. Even my throat and neck look and feel different. Neck pain comes and goes. Alleve has seemed to help some, maybe inflammation as I already take narcotics and gabapentin for nerve pain?? I think my next move is a brachial plexus mri to show one scapula bone up out of place causing constriction on blood vessels and nerves there. I am nervous about going to chiropractor from what I have read, I dont need anymore pain. I know the pain and anxiety that you feel also frustration that no one listens to us and we should be experts on our own bodies by now. Prayers and love to you and all the people on this blog with chronic pain issues. God bless us all! May we find the righr doctors with some right answers!

• Posted

Oh, I also had the hernia and gasto checked out because that is what the pain doctor thought that was why my stomach was extended?? O forgot to mention rhat immediately after trial I was sick on stomach and it continued into up into esophagus rrslly baf for next 2 weeks. I felt silly telling them, but it felt ad if my esophagus and moved!. Well they didnt know or seen , any symptom like that,.smile

• Posted

Yes , I also had acid reflux severely aboutweek after Surgery and a feeling like my esophagus was moved out of place in upper chest (sternum area has raised area now also ). I believe somehow my pine shifted causing neck to shift mor forward, as I see changes there too! For 8 months I have e been trying to find out what happened?? Still no answers. My muscles have spasmed bad causing pinching to move around from neck, head, andomenand ribs, to lower and down legs? Any one get any answers? Kinda sounds like disc moving?? Any input from the SCS trial croud who experieced bad side effects after,? Oh also allthat tape blistered me.

• Posted

I get my MRI this Thursday. Been having thoracic back pain mainly while sleeping for the past year. Chiropractor said it was arthritis and I did 6 weeks of PT. It was getting worse so doc is sending me to get an MRI. I've. Even reading online so much of what the problem could be and I know I'm anxious for the test however I noticed last night while resting and looking at my cell phone a loud noise spooked me and I had a very weird electrical sensation in my spine in the very spot it's hurting. It's like my body responded to the noise And sent out an electrical shock that centered on that part. I didn't get that spooked either. I think my heart just raced up a little bit. But today I'm noticing all kinds of extra weird sensations and I don't know if it's because I'm scared about what they may find on the MRI or what. It's like my nervous system has become extra sensitive. So yes I have an idea of what you are talking about.

• Posted

Sorry for the delay! That makes COMPLETE sense. I've been getting those shock symptoms as well! It's VERY odd. It's as if your body knows!

• Posted

I know this is an old post, but Saraanne8, have you been able to control your acid reflux/ silent reflux symptoms. The reason I ask is because my situation is similar to yours. I experienced thoracic back pain before I started suffering from what I think might be silent reflux. Never had these problems in my life till now. Makes me wonder if they related to each other.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.