Thoracic surgery chest pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there

Three weeks post op of first rib removal and scalectomy and having terrible chest pain a constant pain that just isn't easing up. It feels like a stabbing pain.

I have had 2 sessions of physio and battling a bit of a cough but not sure if this is what's causing this pain.

Pain level is at a 9-10.

Has anyone else experienced this?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm a year past my surgery and yes...that was one of the worst parts of recovery. It would hurt right into my back. Had to take morphine for the first three weeks with that. I think it's all the trauma and when they cut my too rib out. The bruising inside must be horrible.  It does suddenly start to pass sporadically and then finally is gone. I found that if I did too much the pain would come back worse. Ice packs seemed to help a lot with the meds. Now I must schedule my other side this winter. Not looking forward to it since the recovery was not pleasant. It was a good 6 months before I started to feel really good. It'll get better. 

• Posted

Hey there. I'm so sorry to hear that you are in pain. Get it checked out asap to put your mind at ease, and ask lots of questions!  My pain/ discomfort level felt more like g-forces pressing down on my chest (sneezing hurt!).  It kind of felt light my insides were not connected (that's the best way I can descrbe it). My airwaves are feeing kind of restricted. But it's bareable. My op was on the 14-Sept. I was in hospital for three night. I felt the most pain on day two and three when I first got home. Keep us posted xxx

• Posted

Nearly 6 weeks post op that stabbing pain your feeling is totally normal don't worry. It was hurrendous for me the worst ever the pain for me was like 10-11 lol. When I coughed was the worst couldn't cough or sneeze felt like my insides cracking, terrible pain. It will soon dissapear smile

• Posted

So glad someone else experienced this same pain! It was the worst I've ever experienced too. Thankfully it has finally subsided for me too

• Posted

Yep terrible ain't it lol. Glad yours has passed to smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.