Thoracic T9 disk removal

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a calcified disk (t9) and rib removed on 28 September 2015 I am still in a lot of pain and have numbness in my left area of stomach and burning pain in my right leg , can any one relate to this should be over it by now

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I'm two years on from cervical and first rib resection, all was well but over the last ten months all symptoms are back and the neck pain is agony, numbness in chest and pain in arm and fingers... GP is not really sure what to do, and surgeon says it's not possible for symptoms to come back!
    • Posted

Hi helbies,

Do you know what type of operation you had?

Was the whole of the first rib removed or just a segment?

Sometimes, the cut ends of the rib can press on the nerves again and this causes a return of the symptoms. Also know as "recurrence" of the TOS. It's not common, but it's certainly possible for symptoms to return.

It's best that you return to your operating physician (and explain again) or even better else get a second opinion from someone who knows a lot about TOS. This is not a diagnosis that's easy to make. It's also an operation that needs to be done by an experienced operator.

• Posted

That's disappointing, ask about Peck minor tenotomy. Peck minor is a secondary entrapment point and mimics TOS. peck minor Inserts on the anterior lateral portion of ribs 2-6 and comes together to form a tendon that attaches to the acromial process of the shoulder which is also part of the top of the shoulder blade(chest shoulder and back?) it's out patient. 2" insicion between the chest and shoulder and they cut the peck minor tendon. Google the symptoms; chest, sub-scapula, lower traps as well arm paint? Or he botched the surgery
  • Posted

Hi Sam,

I can't comment on all of your symptoms (epsecialy the burning pain in your right leg). You don't say if it was a first rib that was removed.

What I can say is that it takes about 3 years for the symptoms to subside after being operated for TOS on both sides. My surgery was 2 years ago and I still take Neurontin three times a day - this is to "settle the nerves down" while they are recovering.

• Posted

Nerves don't recover if the the atonal layer was damaged but look at my post above what your saying may be true but it doesn't make sense? Gabapentin is for nerve irritation, why are they still irritated there should be no nerve compression, no entrapment, and the swellings should be long gone??? Play with it stick your fingers into we're your peck minor is and push, try lifting your arm above your head might make it easier to trigger
    • Posted

Axonal layer or nerve sheath
  • Posted

They might have layed you in a bad position for surgery how long was it left and right Might have damaged a nerve during surgery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.