Thoughts on magnesium

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've read various artices about taking magnesium and also riboflavin as a supplement.  I am at my wits end having suffered headaches/migraines for nearly 40 years (still only 49), none of the prophylaxis drugs work and my only saviour is eletriptans when I get the pain.  Been to two neuros, without much success and numerous GP and alternative practitioners, but now feel I am completely on my own.  At the moment I have about 10-15 a month and am desperate to find some relief especially as the maximum amount of eletriptans to be taken is 10 a month and many times I go over that so am concerned what they are doing to me aswell. I am also a sufferer of cervical spondylosis, so that doesn't help either. Some people swear by magnesium and say it's more effective with riboflavin, does anyone out there have experience of it and also any possible side effects??

Thanks in advance smile

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear this.  My migraines only respond to botox which has eased them and their frequency.  It lasts for about 3 months and has to be repeated.  for me, life changing.  Good luck. 
    • Posted

I've read that botox works for some people, I'm willing to try anything so may consider that, thanks flexi31
    • Posted

You'r welcome.  Botox works simply by stopping the muscles contracting (which causes the pain), it will not, to my knowledge, do anything for someone who has aura , but lessening the pain and frequency is a major step forward.  Good luck. 
  • Posted

Be careful with the triptans , many doctors will only give you 6-8 a month . I was taking a lot of naratriptan due to it being the only thing to ease the migraine but when I decided to come off them as I was worrying about their long term effects I experienced the worst migraines possible. I honestly thought I was dieing and at times in the 4 days the migraine lasted I wished I would.

I'm now using a beta blocker called atanelol and I'm doing OK. All the best

• Posted

I just am allowed 12 tablets in any one prescription and at the moment ordering every month, the GPs never review my intake either.  I hate taking them because they're not doing me any good but when you're in pain and have to work what else can you do??  I have gone as long as 3 weeks without migraines sometimes and I find the eletriptan doesn't have any after effects, thankfully.

Glad the atenolol is working for you

• Posted

I was on 18 naratriptan a month for 5 yrs . I built my life around them . I got the wife to go to her gp and convince them she had migraines to get on naramig. It all started when I was taking too much time off work and I needed to work to pay bills . Vicious circle. I take 1 magnesium malate tablet a day which as helped 1250mg.
    • Posted

Oh blimey, that is desperation!!!  Hope you're more settled now.  Trouble is you do rely on these things because they give you relief and at the time you don't care about any side effects.

Thing I'll give the magnesium a go aswell as considering botox.

good luck

• Posted

Hi Nidge, I take a Naratritan daily, I suffer from Chronic migraines, when you withdrew from Naratritan, did your migraines reduce?

Thanks

• Posted

Hi.

Your story sounds very similar to mine. I am 47 and have had migraines for 40 years. I get at least 20 migraines a month for which I am prescribed sumatriptan 100mg although I am only prescribed 12 tablets a month so have to break them in half. I work for the NHS as a community midwife and a Health visitor and my migraines have impacted massively on my work capability and I have had to work hard to get them to change the sickness policy with regard to my situation. Since March I have been admitted to hospital 3 times with migraines so severe that I passed out. Having seen neurologists and my GP I decided to go to the National Migraine Centre in London. After my first consultation I had to go cold turkey on all pain relief and triptan medication for 5wks. It was hell but I did it. The thinking was medication overuse. I was allowed to take magnesium citrate 600mg daily and Venlafaxine twice daily. I had been prescribed Venlafaxine by my GP for anxiety and depression but the NMC said this is now given to migraine sufferers. I also had to make sure I ate 2hrly, drink at least 2 litres of water a day and got plenty of sleep. I seemed to do well and migraines decreased amazingly. However following an NMC appt on Friday I was told to continue on Venlafaxine, magnesium and I could restart the triptan medication but not take more than 10 a month.

Unfortunately I had such a severe migraine on Tuesday that I passed out, hit my head, was concussed and ended up in hospital. I was in bits and still am as feel I am back to square one.

The consultant at the hospital want me to see my GP to get subcutaneous triptan injections to use when I have severe migraines which I will try and get but my mood is now so low I just feel life is such hard work.

T

• Posted

You certainly sound worse than me, I have never passed out thankfully.

Thank you for your input it gives me a few things to think about.  I must admit I don't eat an awful lot and can go hours without eating, from getting up at 6am and having my tea at 6pm I might only have a 2 bananas, but I do drink a lot, maybe I should start snacking a bit through the day, trouble is I'm on a diet at the moment so trying to juggle the two could be tricky.

I apprecaite you teling me you story and I hope you get sorted soon, you sound as though you're really up against it at the moment

• Posted

Apparently eating 2hrly stops sugar rushes which can contribute to migraines when you suddenly eat after hours of it eating!!! You can eat fruit 2hrly just as long as you eat something. I do believe it has helped. I am trying to stay positive!
    • Posted

It's funny because I often have an urge to eat something sweet after I've had an attack, so maybe my body is saying it needs more.  I will have to make an effort, trouble is there's nothing worse than eating if you're not hungry. Good luck to you
    • Posted

Hi Nicki, feel for you, I went to the migrane clinic, they asked me to go cold turkey, but I could not withsatand the pain..

should I go cold turkey ?

• Posted

Hi Yorkie. I take magnesium in A multivitamin plus occasionally take the product "Calm" and it helps. Just know that this is also used for constipation issues, i.e. Milk of Magnesia. Maybe ask your doctor what is a good amount or how often. Laurie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.