Thoughts on Proton Radiation? I'm 56. Gleason of 3+3

Posted , 7 users are following.

Diagnosed in April. MRI done, consult with three doctors. One recommended RP. Two recommended Proton Therapy.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I also had 3+3 cancer and decided on Proton Radiation. I am now two years out from my treatment and could not be more pleased. I have had little or no effect from the treatment. It is a long process but I feel it is worth it. My wife called it radiation vacation since we were very active every day including sports. No loss of appetite and energy during the treatment. My PSA is now .45 and trends lower with every blood test. 
    • Posted

I am glad you are doing well! Thank you for the reply.
    • Posted

May I ask if you suffered impotence or incontinence from protontherapy?
    • Posted

Same with me. Just had TURP on June 1st and pathological report came back positive for prostate Ca Gleason 6 (3+3). Since I am fresh post TURP my urologist recommended to wait 3-4 months  before he will do prostate biopsy. Just to mention, I am 51 year old.
    • Posted

Ok, just my suggestion based only on what I have read and personal experience. Before you hop on the biopsy table, first get a 3T MRI. That way when it is time for the biopsy, they can do a targeted biopsy.
    • Posted

Oh, and between now and when you have the biopsy, even if you decide to do active surveillance, learn about all the different treatments available. My personal belief is HIFU because it does it use radiation. But that is just a personal choice and everyone must make their own decision.
    • Posted

I agree. Before any biopsy go for a MRI. Ideally 3T, if not then 1:5 T. Make sure that ten radiologist reviewing the film is very experienced in prostate imaging and isn't a general radiologist. This is vital. Also some centres insist on an endorectal coil being used to perform the MRI. I chose not to have the coil as it is very uncomfortable. A good radiologist can interpret a 1.5T image without a coil as good as an average radiologist can interpret a 3T scan
  • Posted

With that score, it could be argued that no immediate treatment is necessary. However you are relatively young, so it might be a long time living with the awareness that it could be a potential threat to life. I feel lucky that for several years, Active Surveillance has been all I've required, however, recently my psa went up from 8 to 12, so it gets harder to manage the anxiety. It certainly seems that full removal would be a hasty move. 
    • Posted

I agree with managing the anxiety. I have decided to get Proton Radiation. Then the real anxiety starts, hearing the PSA every 3 months.
    • Posted

as a general rule, 3+3 lends itself to active surveillance, BUT this assumes you have nothing else medically going on. If you do, and what you have may impact on the PCa then you should consider treatment. I am not saying be treated, I am saying look at the options. I would agree with those who say that at 3+3 radical surgery is overkill.
  • Posted

Ok, I am sure they all are good. I had mine at the University of Florida Proton Center in Jacksonville, Fl. They were great. They had activities going on almost daily for the patients and spouses. 
    • Posted

600 miles. I rented a nice apartment with pool, hot tub, and work out room. I also found that 6 others were in the building going through the same treatment so had people to associate with for dinner and entertainment. 
    • Posted

i recall you saying you were pleased with U Florida. May I ask

what was the cost?

why did you choose it over say MD Anderson, which I was considering, and 

what is the estimated time before further treatment, if any, may be required. I i ask because I understand most treatments are not " set and forget" but have a limited span of a certain number of years before more  treatment is needed.

• Posted

I visited both MD Anderson and UFProton Center. I chose UFPC since they seemed more aggressive to assist patients in adjusting to treatment and living in Jacksonville, Fl. for 2 months. They were very patient friendly with activities for both the patients and spouses. UFPC seemed like a smaller environment which I liked. I am sure both centers could and will do a great job. 

I made friends with a great guy from England that had a brain tumor. I found out that GB is sending many patients to UFPC since they do not have a center there. Many children with tumors are being sent from GB to UFPC.  

I had medicare and a secondary insurance policy and within 24 hours UFPC informed me I probably would not have to pay anything other than living expenses and they were correct. 

• Posted

Thank you for the reply. Good to hear that you are happy with the treatment. I have a good mind to visit UFPC for a look see before committing to it. Assuming of course that my biopsy confirms what the MRI indicated. The biopsy will take place in 3 weeks.

When did you have the treatment?

Did you suffer I continence or impotence as is common with " traditional" therapies?

• Posted

I am coming up on my 2 year period. If you decide on UFPC I had Dr. Nichols and nurse Tracy. Both were great. Looking forward to seeing them in August at my annual review.

I have had no adverse reactions. Even during the treatments the only problem was urinating frequently and I attribute that to all the water they want a patient to drink daily.  

• Posted

That is great news. Good for you. I am leaning to proton thereby given I read  that it often results in less incontinence and impotence which is almost a given in most surgeries or conventional radiation treatments. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.