THR left hip. How much excercise other than the ones issued by the hospital should I be doing?

Posted , 13 users are following.

i have had the excercise from the hospital but they are mainly sedentary . How much walking around should I be doing 9 days post op . Thank you 

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

As much as you can for short distances. When do you start therapy?
    • Posted

I agree, but be careful that you don't walk so far that you can't get back safely...nearly, nearly did that myself!  Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Steve , thanks for your reply. Physiotherapist won't start until 20th Feb. 

• Posted

At only 9 days out, I say that for the first few weeks you should only be walking as necessary between bed, bathroom and dining table. There is a LOT of healing that needs to happen before you can work on strengthening, and now is the time for rest.
    • Posted

That's highly conservative, and certainly not in line with most recommendations. Everyone is different, but the standard advice from physiotherapists is, with appropriate support as recommended ( crutches or sticks), as far as comfortably possible. 

• Posted

Yes, my surgeons are very conservative. They have observed fewer soft tissue injuries post-surgery with these recommendations. There is plenty of time for strengthening after initial healing is done. No reason to rush.
    • Posted

Sorry, but that really is contrary to all recommended medical practice. Doing so little / no exercise for weeks post op causes the soft tissue to start to heal without any flexibility, and increases the risk of damage. If people are being told by their own surgeons and pt to exercise, then they should follow those instructions. In this case Elainor had been told to exercise and to walk - she should therefore not be spending all her time in bed with forays to the bathroom and the dining room. 
    • Posted

Thanks AnnieK. I've tried to do a lot of that but I'm stir crazy at the moment. 

• Posted

Beth, of course, people should follow the directions of their surgeons. I never said not to. In her original post, Elainor said that the exercises given to her at her hospital were sedentary and asked for advice about how much moving around she should do. I answered based on my surgeon's recommendations and my experience, which is what she asked for. I am sure that she can, and will, do whatever she and her surgeon think is best.

• Posted

Depends how you are feeling really. I was pretty comfortable, so was going out for a walk every day. ( Though it was summer, and it was just great being out in the fresh air.) Wishing you all the best.
  • Posted

I did very little in the hospital. I only stayed 24 hours after the surgery so really didn't have time for much. I was supposed to come home with my daughter taking care of me and sad but she ended up in the ICU at another hospital and was there for 3 weeks. Good is she is good now. I ended up taking care of myself so it was a lot of walking and being forced to take care of myself. I was doing the hip exercises they gave me 4 x a day and cooking, cleaning etc for myself. Hardest part was the dogs wanting in and out all day and at night also. Good is I was forced to walk early and now it is six weeks from my my hip replacement and I was released by my dr on Friday. I am walking without the walker or canes. I go back to swimming and they gym on Wed. Bad is there were days I knew I had done too much and I hurt the next day. Just do what you can in moderation!!!

m0rningangel1

• Posted

Thanks m0rningangel1. Hope all is well with you and your daughter now. 
    • Posted

Melissa is doing much better. She is home with a nurse and on oxygen. She has to use a walker to be able to walk. She isn't allowed to be around people especially little people because a cold will put her right back in the hospital. She was in ICU ventilator for 21 days..Me I am walking without the use of anything. I have a wobble in my walk but the dr said that will go away soon and just keep walking. He released me Friday to do whatever..just waiting on my eye surgeon to release me and I get to go back to work in February!  Good thing before I get in the poor house!...Hang in there and I hope you are doing better!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.