Thread veins in lower leg what do you use?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi i'm new to this forum so apologies as I expect this has all been discussed many times.

I have a large number of what I call thread veins that are in clusters throughout my lower calf area.  I first got one when I was in my 20s but then they started to erupt more frequently from my 40s onwards.

I did see a consultant privately via Bupa and had an ultrasound scan but because they were not varicose Bupa would not treat them.  The consultant suggested having them injected but I would have to pay for the treatment myself.

I would be prepared to pay but new ones keep breaking out so I cannot see the point.

I use a herbal vein gel with horse chestnut and Hirudoid cream that the consultant recommended but neither do anything. What do others use>

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Forgot to mention they hurt like hell especially when new ones are coming through so disgusted that they are regarded as "cosmetic"
  • Posted

If you just have thread veins they can be treated with laser or sclerotherapy. If they are thin, laser should work but if bigger than four millimetres you may need sclerotherapy. This may have been what the consultant was talking about. On the other hand he probably does not do laser.  There are dozens of places that do laser treatment as so many people have them and want to get rid of them. I would shop around, laser can be quite pricey and you usually need more than one go. If they are causing you pain you could talk to your GP. 
  • Posted

Thread veins are very common and in fact all women get them to a greater or lesser extent. We think they are caused by the effect of oestrogen on the skin - some women get just a few - others get loads. There is little one can do to prevent them happening. However they can be treated either by injections (called sclerotherapy) where a small amount of a chemical is injected into the vein to make it shrivel up. The really tiny veins that are too small to inject can be treated with skin laser treatments. To get a reasonable clearance of veins depends on how many veins you have - most patients will need 2 or 3 treatments to start out with.

Unfortunately they will keep happening throughout life. Thread vein treatment is a bit like mowing the lawn or getting your hair cut - just needs doing from time to time. As a rough guide most patients will come for follow up treatment every year or two, depending on how many thread veins they make. 

Hope that's helpful. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.