Threadworm - reinfestation by migration back inside

Posted , 3 users are following.

I read in the main article on this site the following: "Eggs must be swallowed and exposed to digestive juices in the upper intestinal tract. Infection or re-infection can occur by directly swallowing, or by inhaling and then swallowing, the eggs. Occasionally, infection may occur when the eggs hatch on the mucosa and the larvae migrate back up the rectum"

Regarding the last sentence I bolded, what is the timing of this process? If the pinworm lays an egg during the night, and it is sitting in the mucosa around the anus, how long before it can hatch and migrate back up?  If you immediately take a shower when you get up and wash carefully, is this unlikely to happen? Just how long would you have to leave the eggs in place around the anus before they could hatch and crawl back up?

Further - as I understand it, you start out being infected by a set of eggs you pick up somewhere. Those eggs hatch in your intestine, mature, mate, and then lay eggs - a process of something like a month or more. So even if you are re-infested by eggs from your own anus hatching and crawling back inside, there should be a month delay before those worms can start causing symptoms (itching due to laying of eggs).  Is that true?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I cured myself from pinworms over a 3 week period. I approached it the same way I got rid of fleas on my cats. Flea meds don’t kill the adults and eggs, they have to be treated separately.

The key for me, I think, was removing the eggs that had been laid during the night! Put some hydrogen peroxide on a paper towel (leave a roll in the bathroom). Every morning, before going to bathroom, wipe very well. Dig around in there (sounds gross but works). The 1st day, I had tons of eggs and a couple of worms come off on paper towel (didn’t even need a magnifying glass). The 2nd day, many eggs. 3rd day, less and so on. Each day, there were less eggs. Finally, they were gone. If I felt itchy during the day, I’d wipe with the peroxide paper towel.

I also took baths with some hydrogen peroxide in the water- to help kill any lingering eggs.

Took Reese’s Pinworm meds every Sunday for 3 weeks (3 doses). This is killing the adults in the intestines.

Practice good hygiene so that you do not get re-infested from eggs in the house or yard. My doctor told me that I probably got them from the soil and I garden daily. A couple of ideas are: sleep in 2 pair of undies so bed sheets are not affected, spray crotch of undies with Lysol before putting in hamper, scrub nails after gardening, peroxide in washer, etc.

Some other observations I have made:

Some people have suggested putting vaseline on butt so female cannot lay eggs. I think this is kinda dangerous. That female needs air and is desperate to lay her eggs. She may travel up the digestive system to another opening…the nose/mouth. I want her to stay in my gut so the medication can work. 

I’ve taken an alternative type approach to healing for decades. I’ve found that herbal remedies are simply not strong enough if what you are trying to fix is strong. Pinworms appear to be very strong since some people are posting that they have had them for years.  I took MSM and garlic as an adjunct to the Reese’s meds. Maybe they helped, who knows? 

I’ve studied gut health for a long time and have a healthy gut. I eat low carb, no sugar, take probiotics. Pinworms ARE NOT the same thing as the bacteria in our gut and seem to feed on fecal matter (see Dr.Greene article below). So, approaching the killing off of pinworms with only diet doesn’t really make sense.

• Posted

You mention you saw many eggs ... but they are supposed to be microscopic. Do you believe that assertion to be incorrect? I've heard others suggest that visible white 'dots' may be newly hatched eggs? 

You also mention "Some people have suggested putting vaseline on butt so female cannot lay eggs. I think this is kinda dangerous. That female needs air and is desperate to lay her eggs. She may travel up the digestive system to another opening…the nose/mouth. I want her to stay in my gut so the medication can work. ". I read that it takes a long time (few hours) for the female to get to the butt to lay eggs; is it really feasible that she could turn back and then get all the way through the stomach, throat, etc, to the mouth?  I don't think they have the inteligence to think ahead and 'predict' there may be vaseline on the butt. 

I did try putting vaseline on the butt but I found it made the butt itch intensly. At first, I thought the itch was due to the worms - the classic pinworm symptom - but one night I stopped putting the vaseline on and there was ZERO sensation. So for quite some time, I'm willing to believe that the feeling I had of pinworms wiggling in my butt was in fact intense itching due to the vaseline! window.post_1482112259596_8 = function(win,msg){

win.postMessage(msg,"*"wink;

}window.post_1482112261348_35 = function(win,msg){

win.postMessage(msg,"*"wink;

}

• Posted

I thought they were microscopic too. But I could see a couple worms clearly on the paper towel and tiny little balls (off white) which I wasn't sure what they were. Bits of the paper towel? Cloth from my underwear? 

However, those tiny balls diminished every day until there were none. So, I now know that there was something there - that I could clearly see. The only thing I can conclude is they were eggs.

I have no idea how long it takes for a female to move thru the body but nature is pretty intelligent and if her main job is to lay eggs, well, she will find a way.

For me, I would do everything to keep the pinworms contained in my gut so that they do NOT migrate elsehwhere, which seems much harder to treat.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.