three months post op and spent two weeks in hot weather !!! never again

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi all my footie friends, have not spoken to anyone past two weeks as i have been in spain.... feet still very sore and swollen everyday even though i had a wheelchair for the long days out... the plane made them swell and so did the spanish weather... however my toes still are giving me pain and the swelling just seems to be there everyday and is concerning me somewhat, even my ankles swell, i can not get any shoes on still and have spent my days in house slippers as the scare tissues still feels so soft and sensitive... this recovery just seems like it is going on forever when all  my post op footies seem to be enjoying life a bit better... feel so fed up today i thought this english weather might had made a difference but no.... lovely in the morning as soon as i start walking around the home the swelling shows it ugly face again sad

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hello Gillie,

Hope you still managed to have a good holiday. I think the fact that your feet still swell is quite normal. Not much fun at the time tho.

i am just over 4 weeks post op. Had bandages removed on Monday. Wound still scabby seems I,m taking a while to heal😟. No more surgical boot Yay.

managed to squeeze my foot into a trainer....OUCH.. Foot swollen and purple . Hope this is normal.

take care. Chin up. Keep smiling.😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

• Posted

hi carole thank you for your reply, ohooo your still early days of recovery and i wish you a speedy one... all what you have said with regards to the scabby stage and swollen and purple... that is normal dont worry, my foot at times even seemed blue !!! you have done so well to put your foot in a trainer, i am three months post op and still can not get my feet into any form of shoe it hurts too much, once the bandages go its all forward from now on but a slow forward form of recovery... much longer than i thought or was told by my surgeon, ohooo carole its been an emotional rollercoaster for me too, i have felt rock bottom with it all i must say, but my next holiday is not until next christmas 2016 to Goa India, i went last xmas it was wonderful but the bunions stopped me walking as much as i would of liked to, so hopefully by then this might be a forgotten nightmare lol.... but i will be making up for not buying all the lovely shoes i see there lol....

Keep strong and smiling and hears to happy feet again biggrin xx

• Posted

Oh Gillee stay strong. I too have been up and down. To start with I found the pain post op unbearable for the first 10 Days. I rarely even got out of bed during that time and I.m a pretty active person. I learnt at the 2 week stage that I had a fracture in my foot which could account for the amount of pain I was experiencing . That side of things is still on going. Been to the fracture clinic and now waiting to see an ankle& foot Doctor as there not sure if the fracture was there before the op which I find hard to believe  because I go to the gym 3 or 4 times a week so I think I would have known if there was a problem. Anyway I think things will be ok in the end.

Am always here if you need a chat. It's good to talk😀😀😀😀😀

• Posted

arhhhh bless ya, thank you carole for your kind message x and i hope all gets sorted quickly with the fracture.... things never easy in life at the mo... its so nice to speak to people who know what you are going through, when i tell people i have had foot surgery and even mention the word bunion !! it gets a laugh and a comment ohoooo wearing the wrong shoes was we !!! but i really dont think they understand how horrible and painful it is, i always reply no not for the wrong shoes actually it was from working 7 days a week on my feet all day, that seems to stop it dead !! lol...

I do wish you well carole and keep me posted as to how you get on, thank god we have this site for people who understand, message me any time always here x

• Posted

Thanks Gillee,

i know exactly what you mean about the weight that you mentioned on another post.Not only can I not fit into any of my shoes  but none of my clothes fit either😩 I,ve managed to eat my way through bucket loads of chocolates,cakes and ice cream. Comfort eating!! Really must sort myself out. Am actually looking forward to getting back to the gym. Not sure when that's going to be yet.

Keep smiling 😀😀🍹🍹🍸🍸🍷🍷.xxx cheers!

• Posted

Hi gilleegreen, I'm sorry to hear you have been having a lot of discomfort especially whilst you were on holiday. It's a pity you went to Spain when you did as I think even at 3 months there's still an awful lot of healing to still going on and the heat and the cabin pressure in the aircraft wouldn't help. I myself am now approaching 9 months post op and I can finally say YIPPEE as my left  foot is well and truly back to normal. The swelling and discolouration lasted at least 6 months with some days it also being uncomfortable to walk on. What I did whenever my foot was aching, swollen or whatever, was to go back to raising it up high on cushions and to sit like this for an hour more (or less) depending. It really helped a lot. I soaked my foot in warm water too and then rubbed E45 into the scar, getting a little 'rougher' each time with the rubbing to de-sensitise it. A baby's brush or something like that is also good to brush along the line of the scar which also does the same thing. Within days the sensitivity in my scar had gone. I lived in rubber Crocs like the ones surgeons wear too and boy they were a life saver! So comfortable with their shaped footbed and very roomy if you opt for a size bigger than normal. Hang on in there, honestly you are doing just fine. Just be a little more patient . Suddenly everything happens very quickly and before you know it all will be well and you feel so proud of yoursellf. Don't get disheartened, remember the worst is over. LadyPink
    • Posted

hi there, sorry for late reply, and thank you for reply... yes all what you are saying i can so relate to.... its a long road to recovery but we all get there in the end... i have taken on board your tips for the scar and will def try that i have a big tub of that cream in my bathroom lol.... you sound like your doing so well and its so nice to hear some good news with regards to this surgery.... infact i have some crocs in my loft from when i was in USA and my feet hurt so much due to the bunions i bought them just to get some comfort.... so out again they come lol..... thank you for kinds words and tips so much appreciated x
  • Posted

Gillee

i still swell up now, after 9 months.

so it's feet up, and also find a container that you can stand in, fill it with cold water (and ice if your mad enough) and stick you feet in for 10 mins plus, at least twice a day, then massage.

have you any exercises to follow? I found after flexing the feet up and down several times, along with walking (yes it hurt) brought the swelling down. When I don't walk a fair distance everyday, I have problems, even now.

16 weeks? Still very early days, a singleton would be in advance of you, but a double will find their recovery much much longer.

keep in there, ice ( feet up, holding a large g&t between them is an interesting position)  and if you can start walking around.

nice to have you back home,

caroline

xxx

• Posted

hi caroline x thanks for your reply always so appreciated, yes i guess i am just getting impatient, i did survive the holiday in house slippers and my partner got me a wheelchair for the steep roads... he has arms like popeye now lol... it was a nice holiday but the feet did get me down not being able to do too many things, even the hot sand hurt my feet but i got there in the end, your words of early days so helps me and gives me some reassurance that all is normal thank you, i am glad i am home out of the 39 degree heat... so i will continue to take it easy and feel in a better frame of mind to get my self sorted with the diet and well being again x

I hope your recovery continues, you sound such an active lady, i have had no information from the hospital with regards to excercises so i circulate my feet when i am sitting down and move my toes as much as i can just to keep them flexi, i am just waiting for the day i walk and say hey... that feels abit normal lol... i am sure it will come.

Keep me posted caroline on your progress, so lovely to speak to you again x

• Posted

I am 5 weeks post op.  I live in San Diego but the weather is the same as in Spain.  I don't have AC so my foot is the same as yours.  I cannot use any shoe so I am walking in the hot boot.

If i walk or not my foot is the same.  I don't know what to do.  My doc told me to use tenis shoe.  I cannot put my foot there.

In my case I walk inward, that is why I develop a bunion,  so I am afraid to walk with any support the bonethat is healing is not going to support my weight.  (I am 5.1 and my weight is 124 pounds) I preferer to use the plastic boot.

• Posted

hello my friend x ohooo i so know what you are going through, i can relate to what you are saying so much, like me i am 5.3 and i have put on so much weight during all this, if i was not crying i was eating it has affected me physically and emotionally, and yes both my feet swell no matter what i do, when i awake in the morning they are good, but as soon as i weight bare it shows it ugly face with fat toes and ankles no joke i know. also like you i can not get my foot into any shoe, i had to wear soft house slippers with the toes cut out for my holiday, i did get some looks from the spanish ladys i must say lol... and when i got off the plane omg.... my feet and ankles were terrible i had to have a wheelchair to walk, foot surgery is an horrible thing and people really dont understand what the recovery is like.

Please keep me posted as to how you are getting on and remember we are all here to help each other through our journey, feel free to message me when ever you are feeling low or just want a chat about things, always here to listen and help.

I wish you well my friend and soon we will all have happy feet again x

• Posted

Hi Gillee, pleased you managed to have a good holiday. Don't forget our feet swell in hot weather without a double bunion op.  As you know I had my first a op a couple of days before you on 8/5. The second on 29/6. I have a different experience in both feet. The second one is really painful, it feels like the  foot is collapsing where the bunion was. On my follow up, the cons said it may e a non union of the bone and advised the surgical shoe for another couple of weeks, with no follw up with him for 6 weeks. My first foot has pain and he thinks the screw may need to be removed, ? When.  Im still in orthopaedic velcro shoes. I really need to be at work by mid september as time is moving on.  I think I may ring the consultant for an earlier appointment. Ive started walking, albeit slow walking and did a mile the other day. Need to do this to assess whether I can walk at work. Still scared to drive for fear of having to do an emergency stop and braking. Im trying to be positive, its hard when you have been so active. Recovery is different for all of us. You will get there, just think positive and about your lovely holiday to india. Denise x
    • Posted

hi denise, yes nice holiday but so glad i am back could not stand any more of the swelling and hot feet plus the wheelchair and house slippers did not help lol.  I honestly think denise had i had the one foot done i certainly would not had gone back for the second, and the two are never the same, i have one sort of good foot and the other one is the nightmare, one foot looks slimmer than the other too, god it sounds like you are having a right time of it with the pain and now the screws possibly being removed, shame they dont tell us all what could happen prior to having it done, is all i was told is that i would be up and running in 6/8 weeks, yes if only.  I do know what you mean with the driving i am only driving local where the roads are quite but i will not tackle busy roads yet as too the fear of an emergency stop, the thought of it makes me feel sick, and yes being so active and now being like this is horrible it certainly makes you so appreciate when things are normal again, i so hope you get the help you deserve, this foot surgery is physically and emotionally upsetting if i was not crying i was eating which has not helped i felt terrible on holiday, old and fat !!!

I do wish you well with the follow up and shout as loud as you can then you get heard with the nhs, please keep me posted as to how you are getting on, always here to listen, and yes hopefully India will be much better even just wearing shoes will be good lol.

Take care Denise and keep strong too x

• Posted

Pleased you have the confidence to drive on the side roads, I might do the same. Take care, Denise x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.