Three weeks post TKR Help!

Posted , 11 users are following.

I never expected the level of pain.  I never cry but I think I have every day since my op.  Can't even think that I will ever walk unaided again. I'm doing my Physio as I should, last week for 1st time went back to hospital for Physio appt, and he pushed my knee back more than I could, and especially since then its hurts so much more. The pain seems to be more round the back and side of the knee.   Is this normal?  When does it get any better??   Thank you 

2 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Dear Lucie,

Bless you!!! I know just how you feel, as will every single other person on this forum. It is such early days for you and yes the pain you describe is normal. Keep taking all your pain medications as and when you should, use ice, lots of ice and keep your leg elevated when sitting.

Trust me, you will get there, even now if you look back and see where you have come from in a mere 3 weeks, you'll be surprised.

Rest as much as possible and visit the forum often. Mostly the advice is spot on . . . . . . . .  And we are all here for you.

Tricia 

• Posted

Hi there, thanks for your answer. I rang my Gp this morning and got one of my pain meds doubled. I reckon if I can get to week 6/8 and have a better Rom then I can tail them off.
  • Posted

Lucie

You are just three weeks post op there are still some tough times to go through. I am 14 weeks post op on both knees done same time. You will have good day and you will have bad days. Just remember to do your exercises, ice the swelling, heat the stiffness, and give yourself a break. You will heal at your own pace be at peace with this.

• Posted

Wow!! 2 together! OMG!

You must be brave. I think I was expecting a lot more from my recovery. I had a hip replacement 8 yrs ago and that was a doddle! I've come to realise I need to ease up on myself. Best wishes to you

• Posted

Knees are more painful than hips, my physio told me that.

hats off to Tana for coping with both knees at the same time, it must have been hard the first few weeks!

• Posted

I have to telling myself, it's only been a week ago today.......I do well with the bending and stretching just can't get that quad muscle to lift .....now that I'm back raking the pain meds it will help me work thru that pain....
    • Posted

Just tell yourself you won't do any harm, that's the hard bit, knowing the difference between hurt and harm.

If a physio has told you to do certain exercises, it won't harm your knee.

Don't overdo it though and get too exhausted, a weeks nothing where recovery is concerned, but you've got the worst week over with :-)

• Posted

The first day after surgery when I tried to lift my leg and could not get that quad muscle to work I was scared to death.  I learned the importance of doing "quad sets"........with your legs straight, tighten and hold the muscle just above your knee. Repeat and hold x20 three times a day!  

Next to bending..........the most important exercise you will do.

• Posted

First off. Are you taking pain meds.  You should be on as high a dose as you were in hospital.  If you are not, get your doctor as a matter of priority, to write a prescription.  That is so important.  If you can't get the pain under control, you will not be able to progress. Your physio knows, from your nots of the operation, what your knee can do.  Unfortunately for you to do it consciously, it is going to cause you pain. After leaving your session you should have been advised to ice and elevate.  If you can't cope with the ice (which at the moment is best) try heat, if nothing else you may find it soothing.  At 3 weeks you should be ready for the static bike. Saddle as high as possible and the gears on the lightest, if you can't get your leg all the way round, then do half revolutions for a little while, then with the good leg, push the pedal all the way round with your bad leg going along for the ride.  Pain can be so debilitating and overriding, which is why it is so important to get it under control. Are you able to chat with your doctor, talk about the pain, if your sleep is affected ask for night aids as well, nothing worse than going to bed and can't sleep for the pain.  The more st important thing to keep in your mind at all times.  It will get better. It may take weeks or a little longer, be patient and strong minded, there may be times when you just want to cry all day, every day.  That is natural too.  For some reason, this operation seems to cause depression, which when you think about it, what you have been through is enough to make a strong man cry. You still have the anaesthetic in your system, working its way out, but still there all the same. Buy some essential oils, they can be mood enlightening. If your scar has completely healed, find a hydropool, the water is warm and shallow, if not a gym with a swimming pool (even a jacuzzi) where you can just float. With just the water supporting your knee,you will be able to relax and may find your knee bends better than you imagined. Once you get a little more confident try other exercises.  You must keep on bending, straightening and lifting your leg, the main muscles in your thighs are the hardest to work on; flat surface (even the bed) tighten you thigh muscles and keeping it as straight as possible lift and hold, doesn't have to be much to start with, but you do have to work at it.  Think of the exercises you do at home as homework set for you by the physio.  They are going to make sure you are doing things right, it is up to you to keep at it.  You can do it.  Keep saying that to yourself.  Don't over do things. Treat every small achievement as a great milestone and congratulate yourself.

Pain is invisible, no-one can see it, no-one feel it other than you. We can understand what you are going through, so you are not alone.  On here you let it flow out of you, there will always be someone to help you, listen to you. But only you can work the knee.  Don't despair.  You will turn the corner.

• Posted

I needed to read this today. Thank you. I'm 6 1/2 weeks po. I had manipulation done on 4/27. Did agressive pt the same day as manipulation and next 2 days. Friday I was 101 in bend. Then the weekend. Sat morning my knee was so tight and I was in a so much pain. Not sure why but for manipulation my pain meds were changed from what I was taking to something different. Unfortunately they didn't even touch the pain. Did what i could for exercises over the weekend. Waited 2 full days to finally get the same meds I was taking before. Went to pt yesterday without any meds. It was terrible. I could only bend to 65. So discouraged. Yesterday I think I cried most of the day. I so want the pre op person back. This morning I wake and my knee is so still. My pt person really pushes me. Often to tears. I have never had depression before but if I were to guess this is it. I feel right now I'm never will get the old me back.
    • Posted

One more question about about pain meds....I take one oxycodone 5mg every 4 to 6 but also have hydrcodone 575....which one is stronger
    • Posted

Linlee,

you are depressed due to pain.  Get that pain under control.

• Posted

Oh Lucie,

The physio has to push the bend on your knee, or you will be back in hospital on a passive excersice machine.

If you don't get enough bend and straightness now,your knee would heal up with you having a permanent limp.

Yes it hurts such a lot but it's for your own good, and everyone who has this surgery has to get through this bit.

As everyone else says, take your pain meds regularly, take them before physio.

Sleep with a cushion between your knees on your side if you can.

Use your arms and upper body strength to turn over in bed.

And, ice,ice,ice. 20 mins in every hour, have you got ice packs in the freezer all the time?

It does get better, honestly, it really does.

You had major surgery, and you're feeling really down, it will go.

You will be normal, I know it's hard to imagine, but the pain does go.

We've all been there, some have higher pain thresholds, some lower.

Be brave,you will get therexxx

• Posted

Thanks very much, I've actually spoken to my doctor this morning and he is doubling the strongest pain killer that I take. I have ice pack on as I type! I'm going to try push the knee more each day, even a tiny bit. Don't want a Mua at all. I've got a fair bit of strength in it, can raise the leg right over my head when laid on bed. It's just the pain of pushing it back.Thanks again
    • Posted

I had MUA after 6 months it didn't do my knee any good apart from a couple of weeks
    • Posted

But if you see a youtube video showing what they do in an MUA, you'll see that if they can force your knee into the extreme movements, it means your knee can actually do it.

You have to keep pushing on, it hurts like hell, but your knee can do it.

• Posted

What did you do? Did you get the rom needed? My pt told me yesterday I'll probably walk with a limp rest of my life. I'm very discouraged. I did what I could over the weekend without pain meds. Had to wait for dr to call meds in. Meds given to me after manipulation didn't work. My pt called me a liar that I did any exercises. Yes I'm thinking about getting another pt person. Just don't no where to turn. What to do next.
    • Posted

When did you have your operation.  Depending on that, do you really need a therapist to tell you what to do.  You should know by now what you need to do. If not, there are plenty of people on here who can guide you.  To say that you will always walk with a limp is a bit harsh. For the time being forget your ROM and concentrate on getting your muscles strong and working properly, if you can put weight on your leg, then the likliehood of you limping is slim. thinkl baby steps and learn how to walk from scratch, walk up and down stairs in a slow and deliberate manner, the trick is to always think about the movement you are doinng, whether sitting on the floor exercising, to walking down the road, to climbing up and down the stairs, even sitting down at the table, on a bus, in a car you can do exercises.  Everything is do-able, if you need meds then take them, if you are in pain, the pain can impede your movement.  So long as you stay positive you will see an improvement, just have a little faith in your own abilities and make sure you give yourself credit. Dont look at what you have not done, look at what you did today that you couldn't do yesterday.  If you have to take notes, do so.

Stay positive, be brave and think "I can do this"

• Posted

I'm 6 weeks po. My knee has become stiff again. I'm doing what I'm supposed to do. I just don't know. Staying positive is tough sometimes. I've always had pain tolerance but this has totally kicked my butt. My husband and I are very active people. This has put a damper on our lives.
    • Posted

Think more like 6 months than 6 weeks Linlee. You WILL get there, truly you will but it is going to take time.
    • Posted

I'm sure it has put a damper on your lives. As it has ours.  

I get stiffness too........just when I think it's almost gone.  I try to loosen it up by moving and maybe a bit of heat (15 min max to back of knee).  

We we have a big coming up middle of June and I am beginning to get nervous😥

• Posted

My husband is a drag racer and our first race is in 2 weeks. We will travel in a motor home so the travel part should be ok. Days are long with lots of walking at the races. We are looking for a golf cart I can travel around in. Just had no idea what the recovery time would be. My Dr said after my surgery he did more scraping than he thought. Supposed to get other knee done. Ha imagine that. Dr said he wouldn't even consider doing it before a yr. That's when I totally realized this wasn't going to be a cake walk....
    • Posted

Be very careful trying to keep up with the crowd. This is where people make themselves ill. Make the weekend come to you, so to speak. Youl may have to tell your husband he's going to have to be a big boy and go it alone, even if you are there and in the motorhome. Do what you are capable of, then quit. Be sure and stay hydrated. Being out in the heat without fluids (stay away from alcohol and caffeine as much as possible)
    • Posted

Thank you for your advice. The last thing I want is to be 5 hrs away from home and in pain without being able to control it. I will just have to see how I am in 2 weeks. I've already cancelled 2 day trips with him. I haven't had a glass of wine in 6 weeks. ....lol. Thank you again. You give great advice. I always read your posts...
    • Posted

Where are the races going to be held? I am assuming you are in the US. Standing on your wet especially in the heat can be brutal and cause severe painful muscle cramps.
    • Posted

Races are in NJ. I'm in NY. I'm going to have to think this one out. It would be from Thursday thru Sunday.Plus I have to make sure I do my exercises I'm supposed to be doing during that time. You may be right on this. He might just have to do without his crew chief that weekend. ....:-(
    • Posted

A quick update on me. I had manipulation done on 4 / 27. Dr prescribed pt 5 days a week for 2 weeks. 4/27,28,29 were very tough. Sat morning I woke and could hardly walk. Yesterday went to pt and my flexion was only 40! It was 101 of friday. Not sure why I thought it was 65. Pt guy called my Dr to let him no. Dr called back today while i was there and said he worked my leg to hard. And took me out of pt until Friday. He wants a couple days for my knee to settle down. I worked my knee twice today before pt and I measured 65. Increased 25 from yesterday with just my workout. And it wasn't over the top aggressive. So the jamming he was doing last week in my opinion probably isn't necessary.
    • Posted

You need to stay home....listen to your body.  I am finding you can't rush this.  Think of all that healing that is taking place.
    • Posted

i have been pushing it back as far as i can Suzy, but because of the nerve damage in my knee i struggle to get higher than 70-80 

im having a bone scan next week. My surgeons team have told me my joint is too small so i have to have TKR redone when my other knee has healed from two ligament ops 

• Posted

I just re-read what I wrote.....I should go back to crayons and a tablet. That was supposed to say."standing on your feet". It came out to sound like you were incontinent. Then read your post about your Dr. Guess you could tell him it wasn't being worked hard so much as being put away wet. Then even my sentence would have made a little more sense.
    • Posted

Linlee, how are you doing today? I'm just over 3 weeks, and still think I shouldn't have had it done! Is anything getting any better for you? I have doubled up on 1 of my pain meds and the last 3 nights I have had a wonderful sleep!

You're in America aren't you? I'm in England, I'm Yorkshire.

Best wishes

• Posted

Hi Lucie yes I'm in NY. I think I'm doing a little bi better today. Been out of pt since Tues. Dr pulled me because they were too aggressive. I've been doing things at home. Bike, stretching, strengthening, and heel slides. Not to the point I'm crying. ..like pt. I almost think I could do this on my own. Ah sleep. ..better. When I do wake doesn't take that long to go back to sleep. How are you doing. And I still say what was I thinking about doing this...I'm 7 wks po tomorrow. I'm told 12 weeks is the turning point. When things start getting better. Hang in there. You are very early. All the stuff I've been through I'm still better than I was a week ago...xx
    • Posted

I'm 9 days out and I was hoping to be off.walker but I'm not....how long before I can go to a cane or crutch?
    • Posted

Be patient. You will know when You have strength and security to know you can move on. Going from one step to next is great but can be dangerous if you're not fully ready. Just keep the process steady and you'll move on. Don't try and set a timetable based on others recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.