Throat pain and lpr

Posted , 8 users are following.

I don't know what to do anymore. After 2 weeks on famotidine, the pain on my throat is still there. I have been on PPI's and they made my throat more sore. Famotidine decreased the pain but how long will it take to resolve the LPR symptoms completely? Help!

4 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

LPR symptoms are more to do with reflux than acid. Whereas H2 blockers like famotidine and PPIs reduce acid they may not be as effective at reducing reflux. Even in reducing acid, the drugs can take a few weeks before you begin to see the effect - since some of the symptoms will be from oesophagitis which needs to heal.
    • Posted

What do we do to reduce reflux then? My nexium doesn't seem to be working anymore. 
    • Posted

Reflux really needs to be managed by lifestyle. Drugs probably won't help (except to make the reflux less damaging).

That means losing weight if necessary, stopping smoking if applicable, avoiding overfilling your stomach by eating little and often, avoiding exercise after food that will compress the stomach, avoiding tight clothing leaving at least 3 hours between last meal and going to bed, raising the bedhead 6 to 8 inches on blocks.

See the section on Reflux in the www DownWithAcid org uk book/website.

If all else fails and you cannot reduce reflux, there is reflux reduction surgery.

• Posted

Thank you for your response. I appreciate it. I have been sick since January, and have lost almost 40 pounds since then. I quit smoking last year, can hardly eat anything, but I'm sure I could be eating better than I am, it just seems everything makes me sick now. I do sit straight up after eating, and don't sleep for hours afterwards. Still getting sore throat and bloating anyway. This is scaring me to no end, can't control it. My PPI does seem to be cutting it anymore, having to take other things with it. Any suggestions? 
    • Posted

They need to check why and once they do you will probably have the option to do the stretta therapy or the reflux reduction surgery.
    • Posted

Stretta therapy is a minimally invasive endoscopic procedure for the treatment of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
    • Posted

From the www DownWithAcid org uk book:

The manufacturers state, "We do not position Stretta as competitive treatment with surgery – but instead a less invasive bridge that allows some patients for whom medications are not completely effective to avoid surgery and its potential complications, or if someone has had surgery allows them an option other than additional surgery."

You canread about the procedure in the book.

• Posted

Thank you Barrett's, you are very helpful, and I really appreciate it! 
  • Posted

Hi Shugirl

The one thing I have learnt from the problems with LPR and Oesophagitis is that you have to have Patience as the healing process is very slow but hopefully we shall all get there some day.

• Posted

Thank you barretts and rob. I'm just frustrated because I have already made major changes on my diet and have finally found a med where I do not have an adverse reaction to yet the improvement on my condition is barely there. I hate it when my neck tightens everytime I eat or drink.
  • Posted

Ask your ENT about taking Sucralfate and Dexilant. After about 6 years on PPI's that didn't seem to help, I went to another ENT and he started me on these Meds and so far they seem to be helping. Of course not everyone reacts the same to Meds. But you got nothing to loose for asking about em. Get off foods with acid. Have patience, and Good Luck .
  • Posted

Try eating slower and try not to take in so much air when you swallow. Chew your food really well before swallowing. It's the every day simple things we tend to take for granted.

Take care,

Mack 

• Posted

Thanks mack. Some days are better but today, the throat pain is just terrible. And its not responding to gaviscon when it normally does. Today is a letdown. I was so hopeful yesterday because I was 90% asymptomatic. I don't know what went wrong. I duplicated everything I did yesterday.
    • Posted

Don' t get discourage we all have days that are better than others. I've told my wife on occasions " I think I've got it whipped I feel really great". The next day  it's back to the same o same o. But I'm still going at it strong and I know I will win this battle. I didn't get this way over night and It's not going to be cured over night. I've probably done everything wrong most of my life and now it's just caught up with me.

Mack

• Posted

Don' t get discourage we all have days that are better than others. I've told my wife on occasions " I think I've got it whipped I feel really great". The next day  it's back to the same o same o. But I'm still going at it strong and I know I will win this battle. I didn't get this way over night and It's not going to be cured over night. I've probably done everything wrong most of my life and now it's just caught up with me.

Mack

• Posted

Same thing with me...I think I am getting better, then the next day I'm back to the same bloat, stomach hurts, sore throat, and it makes it hard to swallow or eat and drink anything. My PPI and Gaviscon don't seem to be working anymore either. Endoscopy and colonoscopy aren't until the 10th of May. Hope I can't make it until then. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.