Thyroid and unexplained infertility

Posted , 4 users are following.

My husband and I have been ttc for 3 years. Fertility clinic has us on ivf waiting list. As part of the tests prior to speaking to consultant they checked my thyroid levels. Tsh last year was 3.4, free t4 was 12. Concerned that we still aren't pregnant and through advice from acupuncturist (who noted some symptoms which she thought could point to thyroid) I went back for new tests, tsh 3.6 free t4 was 13. Could any of these results suggest any reason why we are not pregnant yet? My symptoms noted by acupuncturist are enlarged scalloped tongue, fatigue, low mood. Other symptoms I've noted are low basal body temp (average 38.5-36.0 pre ov, 36.2-36.6 post ov). And my heart rate is generally at 58-60bpm. I'm always cold, even though everyone else in the room is hot, I've put on easily a stone in weight in the last 18 months even though my diet and lifestyle are better than they ever were (cut out alcohol bad snacks fizzy juice and caffeine), my mood is very shaky at times and I can feel emotional and tired. Nhs GP just advised me I was depressed due to not getting pregnant and suggested counselling. Can someone shed some light on my results??

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

My tsh was low and I was diagnosed with under active thyroid. Go get a 2nd opinion.
  • Posted

I may be wrong, but thought that the optimal Tsh to conceive was between 1-2. Whilst your t4 is in range it is a little on the low side. If you're tired as well this is usually a good indicator that you're underactive.

I would see an endocrinologist as they deal with this stuff all the time - get a second opinion.

• Posted

Hello Weejen:

My name is Shelly and I m a nurse in the USA. I have Hashimoto's thyroid  disease since 1987.

My sister has thyroid disease also and her Iron was low.  Get your  Iron & Ferritin levels tested.  She took an Iron supplement recommended by her doctor and had twins years of trying to get pregnant.  Ferritin is a component of Iron and helps the thyroid. Also get B-12 level tested.

Symptoms of HYPO (low thyroid are)  feeling sleepy,  low temp  and low pulse,  energy,  problems with your periods, bruisng,  weight gain, feels cold, depressed,  muscle aches, acne, loss of hair, dry skin, britttle nails.   There are more these are commn ones.

It is also wise to get your TSH down below 3.0 so you may need Levothyroxine a medication to help replace the thyroid hormone.

Normal TSH is 0.45 to 4.50 but doctors  like it in the 1.0  to 2.9 range for ldeal results.

I hope this helps.

Shelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.