Thyroid reactions

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi 

im looking for some help, I have an under active Thyroid and the same as most people I'm on levothyroxine 50mg, after having many symptoms for years and many trips to the doctors. I just want to know if other suffers have the same problem as me when eating certain foods, they seem to react to my medication and I feel my throat start to close, I tend to think this is more likely that my medication don't like what I'm eating, I'm keeping a food diary and its things like Bread, cakes, hot chocolate, ham, Ryvita, I keep a healthy diet and only eat bread, cakes chocolate occasionally, the sensation stops after a few hours but it's uncomfortable, I'm also sweating throughout the day and night and wake up every couple of hours then take forever to get back to sleep leaving me exhausted on a long day at work, anyone else get the awe and any recommendations with the sleeping thing would be brilliant neutral

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi there. Think we may have spoken elsewhere but the symptoms you describe and also your thyroid isdue can all be related to auto immune disease. I don't personalky have thyroid isdues but many do. If I were you I would ask for blood tests to look at ana crp and esr levels. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Margret

I don't think I have asked about this before, thanks for the reply I'm looking up stuff about autoimmune as we speak and keeping a food diary so I can see if anything triggers it off

Many Thanks

• Posted

Lots of things going on here.  So you are on Levo and don't feel better. You need to find a medication that has T4 like the Levo but also T3   This is a very complicated disease with a million reasons why you aren't better. But if your body could convert T4 to T3 so your body could use that converted hormone...and if your dose were correct for your body... you would feel better. 

Secondly you you have a food allergy of some sort or an allergy to the fillers in your medication tablets. That needs to e resolved soon. Your throat closing up is an allergic reaction. There are blood tests that can determine what your gut is reacting to but your typical allergist may not do food allergies.  Look for someone who can test for food allergies. I'm guessing wheat so you might want to eliminate that until you figure this out. Good luck to you!

• Posted

Thanks Terry I'm due back to the doctors in 2 weeks personally I think it's an allergy as well so I'm keeping a diary for the next 2weeks to see what I can pick up myself, thanks for the reply

• Posted

Hi, 

It's possible that you need to be Gluten Free, some Under Active Thyroid  sufferes are intolerant to wheat. I had the same with the throat closing with wheat after the menopause 16 years ago, I have been off Gluten ever since. My Under Active Thyroid was diagnosed after a blood test around 8 years ago but I manage it myself with Vitamins, Minerals and Kelp because I have no symptoms to speak of.

• Posted

Try taking your Levo at night it helped me to get a better nights sleep. I was exausted all day and awake half the night ( when i took Levo in the morning) when i switched to taking it at night i did sleep better and fealt better in the day.
  • Posted

Hi

Thyroid medication is in mcg not mg

You have a food allergy that is not related to hypothyroidism. You can narrow this down by studing the ingredients of everything you ingest. Beware, food allergy responses can increase in intensity. You should discuss an Epipen with your physician.

If you are taking Levothyroxine, you must have a physician, hopefully an endocrinologist.

What are your thyroid levels...the sweating and difficulty sleeping tells me that you need a new thyroid blood test.

Did you know that you are not supposed to eat or drink anything for 2 hours after you take Levothyroxine? If you eat or drink, what you ingest interfers with the Levothyroxine and reduces it's effectiveness.

kind regards

• Posted

I had a similar issue with my throat but it wasn't an allergy of any kind it was inflammation in my throat. I kept believing I had polyps but nothing in there and no food intolerance.

• Posted

the sleep thing...my neurologist prescribed

melatonin3 mg two hours before bedtime

because our brain naturally bring on melatonin in preparation for sleep...but all of our lights and screens inhibit this release....

I sleep betterth

• Posted

got wonked...

I sleep better than I ever have...and I am over the hlll...lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.