Thyroid removing surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I am in US and diabetic with type 2. Recently my endo felt my thyroid nodules size is large and suggested to do a sonogram.

Under Sonogram it the size came out is follows.

Right nodule - 1.5 cm

Left nodule - 1.03 cm

Doctor suggested an FNA Bioposy. The result of Biospy is below

Right - Indeterminate - Atypia of Undetermined Significance (Bethesda Category III)

Left - Suspicious for Malignancy (Bethesda Category V)

My Endo thinks left is suspicious so he wants the whole thyroid glands removed. Next Tuesday is my appointment with Surgeon.

Have few questions

1. What are the chances of the nodule being Cancer

2. If the whole thyroid glands are removed how will be normal life? I can live a normal life

3. Will there be an issue of increasing weight

I am very scared and worried

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Helllo Aruba, I have read many posts here. So many people never feel the same after a thyroidectomy. You will be dependent on thyroid medication and constant blood monitoring for the rest of your life.

After the many posts I've seen, I would never have my thyroid removed, under any circumstances. There is no BIOIDENTICAL medication, and many people are never the same once their thyroid is removed. 

I have a severe case of thyroid disease and the meds have been so impossible to regulate and toxic, that I finally gave up with the prescription meds and am perusing a natural route. It's a ton of work to go natural, but the meds nearly killed me. 

With thyroid disease, weight is an ongoing issue, as is autoimmune disease.  Honestly, weight gain is the least of the health problems you encounter with thyroid disease.

From my perspective your nodules are fairly small. REALLY, 1cm is small. I've been living with a large cyst of 4cm, and I'm always surprised when doc's can't find it. I was able to shrink it, so it isn't as large, and was able to dissolve the calories portion with mineral (boron) therapy.You might be able to try some meds to see if taking the stress off your thyroid gland shrinks the cysts. Really, your cysts are very small. The fact that you don't seem to have any hypothyroid symptoms could indicate you're in the early stages of the disease. This is wonderful, as it's always easier to reverse disease early on.

For surgery, It is customary to remove half a thyroid gland or whole, but you'll have a rough time trying to find a surgeon who'll remove only the nodule. I met a woman who found a surgeon who would remove only the nodule, but it took her a long time to find one. I've never met anyone else or heard of anyone getting only the cysts removed. Thyroid surgery is extremely delicate, messy, bloody, and there are many risks including damage to vocal chords. 

After years of of my health being destroyed by the thyroid meds, I would never submit to a lifetime of these meds.

What you can do, is monitor the growth of your nodules. If they are not growing rapidly, you certainly have time to try to shrink them with medication or natural means. Everything I've seen of radioactive treatment and testing is that radioactive iodine is harmful to your thyroid gland, this should be obvious, but radioactivity is still used for some reason.

it is possible to shrink cysts by natural medicine or TCM. 

Hope this his helps give you some ideas of options. Good luck! 

• Posted

Hi MtViewCatherine, hi I just reading your post regarding to Aruba about what you suggest to not have thyroid remove ,may I ask are you a patient on this board and did you have your thyroid removed ,can you really reduce the thyroid swelling with Natura ,I am about to have surgeon to remove left side of my thyroid soon of course I have no choice,I love to hear from you with advice thank you
    • Posted

Hung, I have extreme thyroid disease. Both sides of my family, industrial bromine exposure. Undiagnosed for decades. I've spent the last 5 years trying to get the meds right. None work. I used acupuncture to maintain while the meds were killing me. Found a lot of supplements, even non prescription thyroid meds that are more effective than the prescription meds.

My mother had her thyroid removed after a half century of improper diagnosis and treatment. Her health declined steadily since removal, as she is elderly and is unable to advocate for herself. She was often misdiagnosed and treated with other meds, rather than treating the thyroid problem. She got so bad that we nearly lost her, so I moved her in with me and have her on a completely holistic regimen, and she is doing better. 

I'm doing diet, herbs, supplements, amino acids, acupuncture.

My mom also does the above, but I have her on ThyroGold. Not only is she still alive after nearly losing her last April, but she's doing much better!

You really have to address the causes of thyroid disease, which are immune disorder, toxicity and nutritional deficiency. You can cut out whatever you want, but if you don't address the cause, the problem still exists. Right?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.