thyroxine and contraceptive pill

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, 

I've been taking thyroxine for 5 years following a total thyroidectomy. Doses have varied in that time, just been upped to 150mg following my yearly oncology appointment as tsh is not suppressed enough. Have been on Yasmin contraceptive pill for around 15months following birth of daughter now 16months. Does anyone know if contraceptive interferes with tsh levels ? Previous to pregnancy I successfully took 125mg and was not on contraceptive pill. In the last 3 weeks I have been taking the higher dose the side effects I feel have increased 10 fold ! It is making me feel very depressed, I am constantly flatulent regardless of what I eat or drink ! I am unable to sleep at night even though I am exhausted because my mind just races and my brain will just not switch off. I have had the sleeping problem in the past and the wind problem during pregnancy when my dose was increased. I also have aches and pains in knees, back and shoulders and have little upper body strength or stamina. I am of a healthy weight and live a healthy lifestyle with average amount of exercise (mainly running around single handedly after my lively daughter!). I could just about cope with the side effects on the 125mg dose but on the 150mg I just want to cry, I feel so miserable! The Dr's say I have to suppress my tsh so the cancer doesn't come back but how can I be expected to live like this ? I am 26 years old and feel like an old women. I am too embarrassed to go to play groups with my daughter because of my wind problem and am finding the lack of sleep increasingly difficult, it is now effecting my daughter as I feel unable to cope with her. I have a gp appointment next week but would be very grateful for any advice or support anyone may have.

many thanks

k.

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi there katie....

Levothyroxine is made with Gluten.....you may have an intolerance. I do and could not take it. I had so many symptoms I finally had to take myself off of it because my doctors would not listen to me when I tolld them I cannot take it.

They were not that happy I went off of it but i changed doctgors and found myself a naturopathic doctor and am much happier. He took many labs and even checked my hormones. I am high on progestin which causes many smptoms in your body too. I was so low on t3 wheich meant the levothyroxine was lowering my tsh but my body was not converting the t4 to the t3 correctly. So not I am going on armour thyroid which includes them both.

I am awaiting my doctor now to give me that med. I finally feel like someone is listening to me. I felt like I was dying on Levothyroxine. I was bed ridden for two days and had a weight on me every time I took a step. my hands were so painful ...all my muscles ached and I was so weak.....Levothyroxine to me is a poison...it was literally poisoning me. After I quit taking it withing 3 days I felt better and symptoms relieved. i now do not feel like I am dying and do have some energy even.

I really wish you luck on your situation. but i had no idea that levothyroxine was made with Gluten. We already get so much of that in the american diet...You are probably being overloaded with it....It is something to look at.....I am glad I did...

Thanks...

Cameron

• Posted

Thanks for the post, Cameron! O-M-G!!!! I didn't know levothyroxin contains gluten!!! I was horribly sick on it for a year and a half- that crap didn't work at any dose for me!  I'm  finally feeling better now with the NDT. Anyone with thyroid disease should NOT!!! eat any amount of gluten int their diet because it triggers the autoimmune response that causes thyroid disease.
  • Posted

Hi I forgot that perhaps thedelivery system in the levothyroxine and that in your pill are working against each other. Ask your doctor about the delivery system in both. you may have to change your pill....

Good luck

Cameron

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.