TIA while asleep

Posted , 2 users are following.

My Dad told me he woke up very confused a couple of days ago.  He describes it as not knowing where he was, feeling confused, uncoordinated and unable to put his clothes on.  He told me he sat on the edge of his bed until his head cleared then he managed to get dressed.  He is 89 and has a few risk factors but is very active for his age.  He wants to wait to see if it happens again before he see his GP but from what I've read, he may not have another TIA but a stroke instead.  I will have to tell him all I have read today and persuade him and my GP surgery that he has to be seen as an emergency.  He is very stubborn and the GP surgery entrenged in RULES.  Any tips?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You're right - a TIA can be a precursor to a full stroke.  He should see his GP, if only to be prescribed a low dose daily aspirin to help give him some protection him for the future.
    • Posted

Funny you should say that Mrs O!  He has been taking an asprin every day for years but recently - as his skin gets thinner - he has been getting huge bruises.  He stopped taking the asprin a few days before he had that event the other day.  He has a doctor's appointment on 20 April (that's the way it is around here) but is seeing the practice pharmacist on Tuesday and he will mention it to her.  I've also read that there are alternatives to asprin so am trying to persuade him to ask her about this.  He is so stubborn and won't be pushed into anything - so determined to keep his independence.  Thanks so much for your reply.  Christine
    • Posted

Yes, Christine, there are alternatives to asprin. Our son had a stroke a couple of years ago and is on Clopidogrel which I understand works similarly to asprin.  However, his wasn't a TIA but a clot to the brain.  He was also prescribed statins - not because he had raised cholesterol but because it is apparently routine procedure following stroke.  Arnica is the best treatment for his bruises, and if his skin is drying as well as thinning, Doublebase Cream is excellent - available both on prescription and over-the-counter.
    • Posted

Thanks for the info.  I'll let him know.

He sees the doc on 20 April but he saw a practice nurse yesterday who took his blood pressure and told him he definitely hadn't had a stroke.  I hope the doc will arrange some more tests!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.