Tibolone and perimenopause

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi New to this forum in regards to perimenopause. I am interested in knowing if any one has taken tibolone and helped them with mood lift especially anxiety. I am 45 years old and suffer from perimenopause symptoms in regards to nausea, not hungry at all and anxiety / low mood. I have taken AD for nearly 2 years but it did not help me at all. So I was wondering if tibolone helps and how long it takes for it to start helping if it does.

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Takes at least 4 weeks to get into your system and helps with symptoms but unfortunately for me it stops working after a while I think it's when my body gets used to it so I half the tablet and take half in a morning and half in the evening bit after about a week it stops working again Im totally fed up at the moment I think my dose needs to be upped but not sure if there is a higher dose will have to see what doctor has to say when I can get an appointment x good luck

• Posted

thanks Shirely. I am taking half a tablet at night. Do keep posted regarding the progress. Did it help with emotiomal side like low mood and emotions 
  • Posted

Hi I have been on Tibolone for 2 years now. I still get the odd hot flash but my mood was lifted. I now only feel low or anxious when I wake up in the morning and can sometimes feel nauseous but this seems to ware off after half an hour or so.  I don't think it really kicked in for about 3 months.

• Posted

thsnks for sharing this information. I feel the same in the morning as well. wonder this pregnancy sickness in the morning is part of perimenopause
  • Posted

Hi Shirley and Caro just wondering how things are with you both following from our last week help you gave me about tibilone. I have had it for 1 week but I guess it is too early to say anything. 
    • Posted

Yes I saw the practice nurse for my 3 monthly HRT review and all was good blood pressure good told her I had issues with hot flashes on an evening and told her I had upped my dose to an extra half and she said not to as still it's not working very well after 6 months she thinks I've built up an immunity to it but until I see my gynaecologyist in have to carry on as I am but I am starts to just take the 2.5mg on an evening and see if it works she dI'd say that I have to make sure I take it at the same time every day which is not hard to do as I take it at 9 pm I am sleeping better again but will see what happens then in the new year if I haven't had an appointment to see gynaecologyist then I we have a visit to my doctor x good luck with it and let me know how you get on

• Posted

thanks shirley. Hope 2017 brings in some answers to us. I will keep you posted as well as I am taking halg a tablet in evening as well
  • Posted

Hi I was quite erratic about when I took my pill and I didn't sleep well initially. Whan I told my doctor she insisted I too the pill in the morning because it gave you a bit of a kick start.  I you took it at night you would get a kick start when you were trying to sleep which would interfer with your sleep? I always take it around 9 am now and sleep pretty well except the morning anxiety which can wake me early.

• Posted

sorry to ask question but do symptoms like nausea or morning sickness bother you at any stage and how long have you been taking tibilone now? thanks though for sharing this information. 
    • Posted

I have not suffered with morning sickness at all but sometimes feel like I've got a bad hangover in a morning

Been taking tibolone for 6 months now

• Posted

I been sleeping better since taking it at night I guess we all different
    • Posted

Hi I have been taking it for 2 years.  I get anxiety and a low mood when I wake up I also somtimes feel nauseaus, sometime a sort of shock feelingas if startled.
    • Posted

thanks Shirley how about low mood or anxiety flat feeling were these any of the issues you had sorry for asking so many questions. Did tibilone help out with these issues. I do not get night sweats or hot flushes but I cannot sleep more that 5 hours at night and then all these emotional issues are driving me crazy and antidepressants for 2 years did not help out as well. I am peri menopause at the moment. so really looking for some solution with these issues. Thanks once again. Makes one feel not alone
    • Posted

Hi Shirley yes it's interesting I wonder what other people's experiences are I would so like to eliminate the anxiety and low mood in the morning if taking it at night would do that Iwill definitly switch. Anyone got any thoughts on this?

• Posted

I feel a guilt all the time I'm a bit depressed and do have anxiety sometime ... I wish I didn't suffer with hot sweats but I do and any activitys I do leave me real hot and sweaty underneath so need to change all the time even if I do house work I sweat bad having a shower is worse as it takes forever to cool down enough to get ready I'm in peri at the moment I just hope it gets easier

• Posted

The nurse said it ok to take in an evening as long as it's at the same time every night x I'm going to Google it and see if I get anywere

• Posted

Hi just an update date on taking tibolone on an evening. .. it's been about a week now that I changed the time taking my medication I now the the dose of 2.5mg at 9 pm and last night the hot flashes didn't come at 9 pm like they normally do i did have a couple in the night but I didn't have to throw the quilt off as they was quite mild and I had a better night sleep so it will be a good day today the hot flushes have seemed to of stopped during the day unless I do something strenuous so upto now again all good

Happy Christmas xx

• Posted

Hi Shirley how have you been with tibolone. I have had it for 2 weeks with half a tablet. I will give it 4 weeks before I decide anything about the dose. A little anxious still at times so trying to keep my self busy. Also periods are due as well so waiting for them as well with leg cramps and fatigue as well. Thanks once again and Merry Christmas.
    • Posted

I think the gynae doctor wants to start it slowly so I will see another gynae in Jan and will have half a tablet for 1 month to make further decision.  I am not sure if it has really kicked in at this stage
    • Posted

I'm surprised only half as if it's your 1st time on tibolone it's quite difficult as well to cut the tiny tablets in half I have a tablet cutter but cannot seem to get it right in the middle anyway see how you get on I been good for just over a week taking mine on an evening but I noticed last night I had quite a few hot flushes not sure if it was caused by the red wine I had so will see how I go x

• Posted

hope your have a better sleep tonight. yes it is very hard to cut them down. It takes a bit of effort to do it and have few days supply. will keep posted

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.