tietze syndrome

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was told i had this syndrome back in Dec. 2014. The pain was horrible but then got better after 2 mths. After that i was able to walk and do dishes and cook meals for my family. I developed a lump on second part of sternum but my collar bones ( mostly my left side ) feels like it is streaching. It causes alot of pain again. I thought i knew all about this syndrome from all the research i did online but now im wondering if anyone has has things happen to them. Has your collar bones felt as if they are swelling up? Sometimes i wonder if my skin will be able to keep streaching over them...thats just how it feels i suppose. Im just ready to be me again...i realy thought i was getting better.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

​Hi, I am sorry for you, dear. I don’t have any real advice for you, but I read this pain can be aggravated by activity and exercise. So don’t push yourself much. When we start feeling little better, we don’t wait to restart our original life. But disease is still hiding there, waiting for a chance to attack you back. So take it slowly. Hope you start feeling better soon.
    • Posted

Yes i know...darn it. After 2 mths of sitting on the couch i felt better so i started working at a daycare in the baby room. After my first week the pain started coming back so i took medical leave then just told them i could only do it a few days a week. Even when i dont lift the babies i still feel the pain just from being up and down most of the day.
  • Posted

Hi there,

I haven't had pain in my collar-bone but the 3rd rib cartilage on right side is the troublesome one swollen and painful. I use that as my pain guide...

Have you had a bone scan done to check collar-bone?

• Posted

Well i had a catscan and 4 chest exrays because of the lump i developed on my second part of my sternum. The docs said they didnt see any inflammation or anything more serious so they said it was tietzes. It just feels like my collar bone is streatching out on the left side and sometimes on the right. At times it goes into my armpits but the collar bone is my biggest pain.
    • Posted

Yes it's so surprising and frustrating that something so severe doesn't show up on any scans. My bone-scan showed slight indications of inflammation but that's about it. Sometimes I think it would be easier to see a broken bone...!

Are you taking any meds?

• Posted

No im not taking anything. They gave me tramadol 50 mg but it made my stomach upset and i was so tired. So i quit taking them. Are you on any medications that have blocked the pain?
    • Posted

Yes I finally started taking Amytriptaline low dose for nerve pain and Diclofenac anti-inflammatory which has proven to be the best one yet... Previous 4 did more damage than good, to my stomach.

You may want to ask for a different pain-killer because you need one. I believe Tramadol is one of the best ones out there before you get into the heavy-hitter narcotics which can be pretty addictive from what I hear. Ask you doc and emphasize the seriousness of the pain. You need something! But no-matter what when taking these meds, you have to baby your stomach to keep it running right because it WILL suffer from the meds. Start taking a fiber supplement, a gentle laxative, and very important anti-acids. But the preventative ones... Omeprazole, Prilosec. Maybe Prevacic and Nexium. May want to look those two up.

Hope this helps a little. Unfortunately hindsight is 20/20.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.