Tight chest and high heart rate

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi ladies

Thought I'd come here and vent.

Well on my peri journey I've had loads of unbelievable symptoms like lots of you have.

The last few days I've had a fast heart rate and a tight chest. I didn't want to go to the doctor because I feel they think I'm a nuisance.

However yesterday I made an appointment in the morning. It was not my doctor. I explained to her how I felt and told her I knew it was anxiety related.

I told her I am having cbt sessions too.

She checked my pulse and it was 127bpm. She said to me no wonder you felt terrible. She put me on beta blockers. She was very angry with my doctor for not being more helpful. She didn't actually make me feel like I'm mad. The fast heartbeat and feeling wired is awful. I'm on propomolol beta blockers,a low dose. A slight improvement perhaps. Fingers crossed. Take care ladies xx

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Would it be possible for her to become your regular doctor?  She sounds really helpful!
    • Posted

Michelle...I think that would be a VERY good idea!!!  Some male doctors blow off women and heart issues!!  I had that happen to me!!  I thank God for my Neurolotist...he saved my life, and sent me to a Cardiologist, and sent me to a new GP, as the one I was going to was worthless!!!  You just tell them you WANT her to be your regular doctor from now on!!
    • Posted

That should say Neurologist
    • Posted

Thankyou for your reply. Actually I have a neurologist booked for 4 September. I had a battle to get that referral! Got it because of my face tingling and my burning mouth syndrome. How are you getting on? Xx
    • Posted

Oh so glad to hear that!!  I'm hanging in there.  I'm only a couple of weeks on the Imuran, and so far not feeling any help, but it most likely takes a while to work.  Having a prett bad flare up, but I see the doctor next week, so we will see.  I think we have the right meds working on the organs, that is a help!  Feet and legs still not great though.  But, we are working on it all.  What a crazy thing this is!  You take care of yourself, and don't take anything from those doctors!  LOL  You will feel so much better when you have good ones!  I do have good ones now, and they really are working together to get me fixed up!  That is important...that they talk to each other, and work together for you!! 

• Posted

Hi Michelle.Sorry you have had a rough few days hun. Thank god you saw another doctor that was actually helpful! I take propranalol 80mg in the morning & have done for years for anxiety. I'm sure this will help your feeling of fast heart/tight chest which will in turn calm you a bit & make you feel less "wired" too. 127bpm is abnormal. Maybe you could ask to see this doctor for any future appointments you need. She sounds much more receptive. Take care & let me know how you get on with the propranalol. xxx

• Posted

btw, propranalol will also have the benefit of keeping your blood pressure a bit lower; I know you've had high readings recently but your regular doc didn't seem bothered with (no surprise there with your useles regular doctor) so that will be an added benefit for you. I have got on fine with propranalol over the many years I have been on them. 1 80mg capsule a day is a low dose but still has benefit of reducing heart rate/bp/helping anxiety. I was prescribed them solely for anxiety, but they also keep my bp at a normal level (I don't have bp problems, but when read I am around 120/80- 130/90 tops so I may be on the high side without them). xxxx

• Posted

Hi looloo

I've been told to take 2x10mg in a day. She said it was a low dose. A little too low perhaps? My blood pressure is more on the low side. It can be 90/62,never high. The doctor said that reading is not too low to go on them. The doctor that I saw was a lady probably 50 ish. I'm ringing on Monday to see if I can change to her. I've heard good reports about propranolol. I was feeling soon wired with high pulse. I've been out for lunch with hubby and did a 2 mile coast walk. Had a terrible headache but tried to ignore it. It was nice. Got another cbt appointment this week. You are so good to keep your spirits high with everything on your plate . Big hug xx

• Posted

Thankyou Michelle. Glad you enjoyed some time out with hubby. My propranalol are slow release - i wonder if its different dosing with them compared to yours?.... I have been on 2 a day many many years ago when anxiety at its worst, but been on 1 x 80mg for long time now. Hope your cbt goes well this week hun. big hug back. xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.