Tightness in neck and chest, difficulty getting deep breath 3 weeks after vit b12 inject

Posted , 3 users are following.

anyone else have similar symptoms when next vit b12 is due ?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You certainly are not alone in noticing a return of some of the symptoms of B12 Deficiency in the run up to your next scheduled injection.

Can you say a bit more about yourself?

Are you in the UK?

On hydroxocobamalin?

What schedule of frequency?

Do you know your Folate level?

Do you have a diagnosis of P.A.?

If you are B12 Deficient what is your diet like?

I am not a medically qualified person but one who has had P.A. for 45 years.

• Posted

Hiya thanks for your reply.

Im a 38 year old female from Ireland .

My vitamin b12 level 197 - dr said it was fine and reluctantly prescribed injections because of my symptoms.

I don't know my folate level. I've started to take folic acid every day .

I do not have a diagnosis of pernisas anemia though I'm a carrier of hemochromatosis so my iron levels are always within range even when pregnant .

I've had 5 injections of hydroxocobalamin so far starting Oct 7th - Dec 15th - approx every 3 weeks.

Dr said one every 3 mths but the nurse said she'd give them more frequently to give me a boost for Christmas. 

My diet could be improved . I cook from scratch everyday but also eat 2 or 3 bars of chocolate and one can of coke per day . I don't drink alcohol nor do I smoke .

Dr diagnosed post natal depression when I went to him with my written list of symptoms which I've been experiencing for at least 3 -4 years. He didn't let me read the full list ! I'm not depressed so I asked for blood tests. When the results came back he reluctantly prescribed injections. I had lower levels of vit b12 previously (about 7 years ago )and had 5 monthly injections then but no follow up. 

My symptoms 

* a tight feeling across my stomach , at end of sternum and a feeling that I can't get my lungs full enough with oxygen .

* 3 day migraines 3 or 4 times a month

* pins and needles in my fingers and down side of my face 

* joint pain in fingers and hands

* sore calfs

* feeling off balance sometimes 

* sore tongue on and off

* forgetting my words mid sentence , inability to think clearly

* horizontal ridges in my toenails

* inability to yawn 

* tiredness

In the last 18 mths I've had chest X-ray,heart echo, 24hr heart monitor , Ecg , Brian CT and brain Mri - all clear 

• Posted

Wow! At the end of all that it looks to me as if you need more frequent injections of B12 as you fulfil all the criteria.

Treatment of cobalamin deficiency

Current clinical practice within the U.K is to treat cobalamin deficiency with hydroxocobalamin in the intramuscular form outlined in the British National Formulary, BNF, 

Standard initial therapy for patients without neurological involvement is 1000 µg intramuscularly (i.m.) three times a week for two weeks, then every three months. 

The BNF advises that for Pernicious anaemia and other macrocytic anaemias patients presenting with neurological symptoms should receive 1000 µg i.m. on alternative days until there is no further improvement, then 1 mg every 2 months.

However, the GWG recommends a pragmatic approach in patients with neurological symptoms by reviewing the need for continuation of alternative day therapy after three weeks of treatmentI obviously don't know what the guidelines are that are followed in Ireland but even we over here often have to fight our GPs to treat the symptoms instead of just reading their computer screens.

Thank goodness your nurse has a bit of sense and good on you for taking some folic acid as this is essential to process the B12.

Have you thought of self injecting or taking sublingual or spray B12?

My heart goes out to you and I wish you well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.