Time in cast for Scarf/akin

Posted , 4 users are following.

My left foot was done last October and was in cast for six weeks. My right foot has recently been done, I went for cast change and xray last week and they said we'll see you in three weeks, so that means I'll have been in a cast for over seven weeks, is this normal??, its cumbersome and màking the Osteoarthritis in my hip worse than ever.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Like you I was in cast last October for 6 weeks. Othe foot done in February and due to appointment schedules the cast came off after just over 5 weeks. I asked was that too early and they said anything from 5 to 7 weeks was fine. It doesn't help you when this causes other problems but they don't think of that. 
  • Posted

Although I didn't have scarf I had lapidus involving a bone fusion.  I had my first foot done the same way and got out of my boot cast at six weeks.  I had second op done in Feb for second foot and went at six weeks expecting to get the cast off but was told that the bone hadn't fused, back in 2 weeks, same again, in total 13 weeks in boot cast.  Each foot and operation is different it is important to remember that.  I am only now able to walk but with a slight limp.  Good luck.
  • Posted

Thank you, can't wait to get it off!!! I'm having the lapidus preceedure soon on the other foot as the first op didn't work, bones have drifted, lovely, not!!
  • Posted

Hi Jane I  double bunion surgery 5 months ago scarf/akin was never put in a cast as all, {i am in Australia} I am now worried as my big toes are driftig towards the others and I can not put the balls of my feet flat on the ground as I have a pullling senation under big toes and second toes. I am wondering by putting your foot in  a cast was this to hold your big toe in place so that it sets correct. I an a little concerned about mine I am waiting to hear back fro the surgeon with an applointment date.
    • Posted

Hi Pauline, I don't know if a cast makes a difference. I was in one last October for my first Scarf/Akin but I had a fractured first metatarsal as well, that's why I thought they'd put a cast on! But the op didn't work and next time it's the Lapidus procedure. My right foot cast is coming off this Friday. I might ask why they put some in a cast and some in bandages. Both times though they did the cast so that the big toe is slightly raised, meaning that there's no way the toe can move.
    • Posted

Hi Jane thanks for your reply. I live in Tasmania Australia  am so frustrated as my toes are drifting and can not put foot flat. I am so worried that oit has not worked probaly trying to get the message across is hard to the doctors I am now waiting to hear from the surgeon witha n appointment date. They swell so  much still and juts been 5 months
    • Posted

My first op last October still swells, especially if I've walked too much, my consultant said full recovery is about 18 months. It's a long journey ! Ascfor the drifting yep it does happen, we're the unlucky ones. I have a noticeable bunion back on last October's procedure, it's dishearten ing but I'm determined to have lovely feet ( I've never worn a pair of sandals), good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.