Tingle Toes

Posted , 3 users are following.

Looking for wisdom and knowledge from the community at large.

First I'm 59 year old male with the 3 'H's, Hypertension, Hyperthyroid and Hyeroptics (farsightedness), I'm not over weight and an ex-smoker. 

What is happening:  Sit for a minute or two and left big toe side and top plus side and top of foot to ankle have numbed with cold burning pain.  The pain is intense until I stand up or lay flat. (It seem to be getting progressively worse over time (last 6 months) and spreading)  I'm due to be sitting on a plane for many hours (SFO to London) and I  don't think the airline would like it if I had to stand the whole flight. (both ways).  I have mentioned this to my GP and the response is 'back issues' and nothing more. That really helped! (sarc). So any ideas, I will be with out insurance in a little over a month do to being laid off (job off shored and out sourced.)

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi mauer, sorry to hear about that, sounds uncomfortable!

Do pain meds like acetaminophen help at all, as a short term solution?

The underlying problem may be neuropathic (nerves) or vascular (blood vessels). Since it seems only to be in a certain position (sitting), I would lean toward vascular, but don't know for certain of course. The cold sensation makes it sound more neuropathic. Could there be a pinched nerve in your lower back? What's your diet like? Are you another H too.... Hyperglycemic? Out of control blood sugars can cause similar symptoms. Have you tried a gluten-free diet, as that can solve a lot of people's foot pain.

I would get the GP to run some bloodwork, and possibly refer you to a neurologist for more investigation. You say it's "spreading" so the time to deal with it is now. You're only 59 and these kind of things are almost always best treated asap.

• Posted

drutter thank you for the response,

I stay away from Tylenol, I do use Ibuprofen and Ibuprofen has zero effect,

I just had a physical three months back with lots and lots blood work (That's when it was discovered that I was hyperthyroid).

I also had a EKG and an echo cardiogram because of HBP, heart and vascular all look good.    

So no to Hyperglycemia my GP would have found that out with the first blood work. 

I'm presently on a slew of medications for high blood presser and symptom control of hyperthyroid.

I also take 50K units a week of vitamin D because It was very low.   

The gluten idea is a very good idea, I have brother(s) and sister(s) who are very gluten intolerant. 

I eat very little wheat products but it would not be very hard  cutting that out even. Worth a try. 

Lastly..

I agree with you... It won't get any better sitting around (pun intended) wondering why,

Again thank you for the response,

• Posted

Hi Mauer,

What you describe correlates to the Tibial Nerve as it innervates the foot.

The Tibial Nerve comes off the Sciatic Nerve which is behind your buttock.

When you sit , you flex your knee...the Tibia Bone is the lower end of your knee, the larger bone towards the center. The other bone is the Fibula.,

When a nerve is compressed it protests by burning or tingling or pins and needles or numbness.

Perhaps icing your knee, and sitting with your knee extended.

If extending your knee does not help, look to the position of your ankle.

The compression is caused by inflammation. Therefore acetaminophen 500 mg no closer than every 6 hours for a few days may bring the inflammation down.

SFO LON how very nice.

kind regards

judith

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.