Tingling and numbness in fingers and hands

Posted , 4 users are following.

Diagnosed with PMR & GCA in December, 2015, I am down to 40mg prednisone together with 20mg methotextrate.  Have only been on the methotextrate for 3 weeks and down to 40mg of prednisone for 2 days from 42.5mg so far so good.  Apart from the normal side effects of prednisone, I am experiencing numbness in the tips of my fingers which spreads down into my hands.  Mostly on the left side which is where my GCA is worse.  However, sometimes I have it on my right side as well.  I have no strength in my hands and am dropping things.  I have spoken to both my GP & Rheumy and they have not any answers.  One would presume it is to do with blood/oxygen flow, does anyone else have this problem and if so any answers would be appreciated. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yes mine was B12 deficiency. It could also be Carpel Tunnel Syndrome, which goes with the PMR quite frequently.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply Penelope, I have had both wrists operated on for carpal tunnel around 3 years ago, I do believe it can recur so was going to ask for another test for this.  Will keep in touch. 
  • Posted

Hello Sharon, I'm sorry I can't help you with this one but about a year prior to my pmr diagnosis I developed an odd intermittent pain in my left wrist. Preds and the pain went away. I'm now down to 5.5mg and the pain/sensation has returned. I will speak with my dr about this and I will expect some sort of answer. If this continues please do not simply accept don't knows from your clinicians, get them to at least do a few tests etc. All the best, tina

• Posted

Thank youTina, I really appreciate your support.  I will certainly be asking my doctors to look into it more.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.