Tingling numb lower face after lip biopsy has anyone else experienced and did it recover

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I had biopsy Wednesday night the dr took only two glands the anesthetist talked to recover nurses in whispers at length making sure she turned Her back to me (thought that was strange). After 48hrs I've spoken to Dr who said he'd seen nerve but hadn't cut into it do not severed. May have 'disrupted' it but shouldn't affect whole of lower face! He said not up worry unduly but would like to know probable outcome. I must say He told me numbness risk was to local area to biopsy. If I'd have known could affect whole of lower face I wouldn't have gone ahead. Anyone else gone through this? Be very grateful for news on outcome and what I should do re dr if perminate. Thanks

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Debra 

I did not have a biopsy of my lip. But I did have my lower right saliva gland removed, I was also told this may cause numbness of my face, it did,but it also went away, it took a while say around eight weeks or so. I was quite worried about the outcome, I'm sure this will be the same for you more so because your nerve was not damaged. I can only hope they have assured  you that no nerve damage was done. So all the very best wishes for a speedy recovery.:-)

• Posted

Thank you so much for such a positive and a quick reply I'll sleep better tonight! :-) 
  • Posted

Hi Debra,

I did not have the lip biopsy my was diagnosed by a blood test. What other symptoms are you having at the moment? Hope you feel better soon x

• Posted

Hi Mandy blood tests were inconclusive so advised biopsy. Main symptons are dry eyes nose mouth and skin. Was having painful joints and headaches but that's eased now as dryness now less severe. Trying to eat less sugar don't know if helps. How are your symptons?
    • Posted

Hi Debra,

My symptoms are still being a pain, the main issue I have right now is the dry eyes and mouth. Throat is better now that I got rid of the thrush. The other issue is the Fatigue. X

• Posted

Hi Mandy, could I ask you how did you get rid of thrush in throat? I would be very grateful if you could let me know 🎀
    • Posted

Hi Maureen,

Dr gave me tablets to take, 1 tablet per day over 14 days made a world of difference x

• Posted

Ouch! Didn't know that can come with it you! How uncomfortable!
    • Posted

Hi Debra,

i was told by the Rheumatologist that Sjorgrens suffers are prone to thrush in the mouth,throat and even Gut, so watch out for the coated tongue.

regards, mandy x

• Posted

I had my submandibular salivary gland removed last June. Immediately afterwards I had a very lop sided smile and a feeling of slight numbness. My surgeon had warned me and it would have been on the consent form you signed. I was told mine would come back and it did in about four months. I suggest discussing with your surgeon.
    • Posted

Thanks sue that's helpful to know. Hope things going ok for you. I didn't know it could be whole lower face. reading up on it it may be damage from multiple deep injections rather than incision. Less than 1% is permanent. I wonder if that was in the consent form that local could do this as I knew risk of numbness in area of biopsy only. As consultant said would only be small area I went ahead. Two or three months of feeling like I've just come out of dentist is hard but cross fingers it will go away. I'm going back Tuesday

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.