Tinnitus??

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I first noticed ringing in my ears after taking amitriptyline for a week. I stopped and so did the tinnitus after a couple of weeks. For the last week or so it seems to have come back I am not saying it is really bad but seems to be getting worse everyday. I thought it was just my left ear but now it's both u couldn't notice it in the day or when watching TV but now I can. It's like an electrical buzz or white noise. Is it getting worse because I'm paranoid? I suffer from health anxiety and other anxiety symptoms. I'm stressing out will it go? Have a neurology appointment in June but have to go on holiday before then. Is there a cure?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

My hearing is also really sensitive can't cope with lots of noise!
    • Posted

My ears just don't feel right at all doctor says they look fine.
  • Posted

Hi Amy 75782. I dont think its the Amitriptline Amy, I have been on 10mg tablet that I take at night, and have done for the past Seven years, as it give me a good nights sleep. but its not because of the Tinnitus that I take the tablet.
  • Posted

Hi Amy, I have had a similar experience with generic Lipitor (Atorvastatin). I wish I could answer your question. It's a very scary and very unpleasant situation. We are given meds to help us, but instead we develop a disorder to plague us for how long?? The rest of our lives?? And we have to accept this?? The ones we put our trust in to help us have instead poisoned us. I say hold the doctors and the drug companies responsible.
  • Posted

There is no cure for Tinnitus. Unless it goes away on its own. some days are worse than others, try and avoid head colds or stress, as this will only make it worse.
  • Posted

There are drugs that can be ototoxic Amy. That doesn't mean that everyone who takes them has a problem with them. It's a possible and relatively rare reaction of some drugs and amitryptaline is one of them. You may just be one of the sensitive ones to that particular drug. There are hundreds of drugs that are potentially ototoxic and can cause tinnitus and / or hearing loss. I found this out the hard way.
  • Posted

I have suffered for five years now, first one then both. I attend the Tinnitus

clinic every six months,in the hope that some progress has been made in 

curing it.     NO !!!

I have never been offered any medication, I suppose the reason being ,how can they prescribe for an unknown problem.

DIY is my way of help.as you so rightly say ,daytime is no problem ,but  ,silence

presses the start up button. I buy Talking books tapes and C.Ds and use ear

phones.or Radio 4 ,just loud enough to hear above the TNT

Stress, I find ,is the major trouble maker.,which is virtually impossible to

avoid.I find that going away for a few days, my preference is the coast, the

TNT tends to disappear  ,which proves to me ,that ---no stress--- no TNT

There is no cure, as yet,so I am told, by those that know, 

Fortunately the problem is not terminal, just extremely annoying.

I know it is pointless telling you to try to ignore it, as we all deal with it ,not,

in our own way. 

Falling asleep is my main bug bear, so I do resort to a very low dose sleeping

tablet. I find that lack of sleep ,cause me stress,which the TNT loves

DO have a lovely holiday, which your TNT will not enjoy,because you will

not be thinking about it    

• Posted

HI Amy, has your tinnitus subsided yet ? I hope so ! I too have the same problem, but I just took one Amlodipine tablet, and then all hell broke loose !

I have had mine four months now, and no sign of a let up ! It really is a depressing condition to have, especially through no fault of our own . Although the tinnitus is a side effect of Amlodipine, it wasn't stated on the leaflet ! Beware everyone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.