Tinnitus

Posted , 5 users are following.

i suffer with tinnitus which started some 20 plus years back when i had my first Meniere's attack. For  much of the time i manage to tune out to the tinnitus as it is at quite a low level but just before an attack the level of my tinnitus escalates dramatically and as distressing as it is it does give me a minute's warning at most that an attack is imminent. 

My question is 'do other Meniere's sufferers have tinnitus permanently?' And if so how long does it take your tinnitus to return to its normal level after an attack? 

I had an attack two days ago and i am still finding the level of my tinnitus quite distressing albeit much much quieter than it is just before an imminent attack.

does anyone else find tinnitus a problem? 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hello Linda,

I have had tinnitus for 4 years as a constant. When it's quiet, it is obviously more noticable. I take a herbal sleeping pill every night and it settles me. This way I don't have nightmares. My "soundtrack" can become louder prior to an attack, so it's a good warning but not always. Music is a wonderful calmer for me and I travel with it throughout my life. My aunt had Meniere's with all the trimmings for 30 years until she died aged 95. My granmother (not diagnosed) had it for the same amount of time and lived to be 100. One of my cousins now has it and he's only 55. This problem in my family has to be a genetic fault. We have all learned  to live with it the best we can. After having survived ovarian cancer, this problem is a snip!

Cheers and best of luck,

Lulu

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Mine is constant but I ended up totally losing my hearing in one ear. Like you I have put a connection between the loud roaring followed by a vertigo episode. I quit drinking caffeine and I honestly think it has really lowered the volume quite a bit...or something has...I'm on a few medications.
    • Posted

I very seldom drink coffee but do drink alcohol which i have read can be a trigger so I am going to try and cut this out to see if it makes any difference. What medications do you take for your menieres?
  • Posted

My tinnitus is always the same level which is quiet loud ,when I have a meniers attack which can last for weeks . what medication do you take
    • Posted

I am on Betahistine but think I am going to see visit GP and see if i can try something else which might prove more effective. If  I  can get to the Sturgeron ( travel sickness pills) in time i try and take a couple before an attack to ease some of the spinning  but in the rare occasions i manage to do this I  still end up on the floor vomitting for hours on end but they do limit the spinning. It is four days after my last attack and my tinnitus has now reached a more tolerable level. 
    • Posted

Yes I take that, not much help tho, I take 16g 3 times a day, someone in my support group said her doctor doubled the dose and is much better going to as my doctor if I can but its a nightmare trying to get an appointment
    • Posted

Yes I know what you mean. I haven't seen anyone about my Menieres in over twenty years so maybe time to see if i can see the relevant consultant. 
    • Posted

I go back t ENT end off august have been offered injections into the ears. Gonna give it a try, this vertigo is really getting me vdown
  • Posted

Hi Linda, i'm quite new to Menieres (makes it sound like a social club!) the first attack lasted for only a couple of months but was horrendous I was allmost a gonner with awfull suicidal thoughts and quite loud, constant Tinnitus, then it went away completely, I was fine, well enough to resume a normal life again and well enough also to go back to work, then it returned, ten times worse that before, I was no longer able to do anything, I was living alone as I had just broke up with my then girlfriend who didnt have time for my problems ( selfish I know but thats just how some people are ) I had just lost my job which made things alot worse for me and I allmost took my life yet again.

Allmost five months now since the second attack started and most of the serious symptoms have disapated with the help of some strong anti-depressants and Procorperazine which helps a bit with the ballance issues ( not much allbeit ) Im getting a bit more help from the doctors and government ( with finances ) than before, still not able to work, tire out very easily and when that happens I also get dizzy and dissorientated and need a sit down every ten minutes ish.

From what I gather from all the research Ive done on our condition and things people and doctors have told me and things Ive read on sites like these is that no two Menieres sufferers have the same symptoms, they are all relatively similar but thats about it. My life now is a case of waiting for the next attack, theres no point in me writting down things so I can know when the next attack is going to happen as my problem affects my memory and consentration along with a multitude of mental, neurological and psycological, I would only loose any notes of forget where they are, sorry I do go on a bit but thats only cause I dont realy have anyone to talk to apart from people on here or the doctor or the psyciatrist or the councilour, such is what my life has become, guess I should just find a hobby as im going to have this problem for 'many years', sorry about the pun!!

• Posted

Hi Duncan, 

thank you for your reply, it is good to talk to other Meniere's sufferers and share experiences. I haven't done so until a few days ago when i registered on here.

i believe you are right though in that the disease can take different paths and no two sufferers will be the same. It is a very distressing condition but it is important to stay positive. During my attacks which last for hours i have had very negative thoughts but we come through these and once out the ither side we have to make the most of life within our limitations. It is the same with any illness. 

Few people have heard of Menieres let alone understand, even my GP who is a lovely guy has no real understanding of this condition. 

i can and have gone years with an almost normal life and then out of the blue have an attack that renders me immobile for six hours or more. There is nothing anyone can do, you just need to grin and bear it to get through it. I have friends with Parkinsons, M.S.band  other awful diseases and try and think on the bright side. As awful as though it is, it could be a whole lit worse. Please try and stay positive. The awful side of Meniere's is not with us always. Take care Linda 

• Posted

I have tinnitus and meniers both the same thing I suppose are you on Facebook there is a great support group called tinnitus if you can join it has helped me alot
    • Posted

Thank you Poppy, i didn't know that, i'll check it out. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.