Tinnitus

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been taking Irbesartan and Amlodopine for high blood pressure.

Does the Amlodopine make tinnitus worse?

I have it in one ear, and it seems to worsen at night.

I stopped Amlodopine for a day or two and it seemed to help reduce the ear noise.

The Doctor is advising me to take both but I think I may need to change, my blood pressure has dropped a little.

I suspect am suffering from stress.

Has anybody else taken both medications and had similar experiences?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi

irbesartan is a form of candersartan which the doctors doubled for me after coming off Amlodopine for reduction of blood pressure. The latter is better at reduction at BP but has serious side effects. and SHOULD BE struck off for 95 % of patients because the side effects include serious joint pain , the inabity to walk, face wealts, not sleeeping at night, irregular runs to the toilet to pass water and more. I can get tinnatus after a 10 days abroad and return on a plane .. Nothing is prescrbed to me at least

GAD

• Posted

Mike - are you on aspirin as well, for blood thinning purposes.  My husband has heart failure diagnosed after he nearly died in a congestive heart failure episode. Our local GP had told him & myself there was nothing wrong with him when I had questioned why we was not well only a couple of weeks earlier. He is also on Irbesartan, was on different medication earlier, irbesartan the better medication for him. BUT right from the following day after his heart failure diagnoses, he was complaining of a tree full of cicadas in his ears. Nothing they could do we were told, learn to live with it. Three years later, had series of severe headaches sore throat, local GP (new) decided to try him on Nexium, put him on 40mg dosage for a start, has now dropped to 20mg dosage, cicadas stopped within a couple of days. I reported to chemist as unexpected side effect. A few months later visited cardiologist, the usual question came, are you on any new medication, husband about to say no, when I said Nexium, Oh yes he said, I read about that in a chemists internal newsletter, we are trying it in the cardio ward to see if it helps, it seems to, he went on to ask how it was helping my husband, how long it took to work, was he still taking it. I nearly fell off my chair.
  • Posted

Hi mike57757

I developed tinnitus about 5 months ago, came from nowhere! GP took me off Ramapril and it went away for a couple of weeks, now on Indapamide and it's back! It's awful, it is worse if I have been drinking alcohol but it is there nearly every morning and every time it's quiet during the day. I wonder if most bp meds cause this , good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.