Tinnitus in left ear only

Posted , 19 users are following.

Hi there

I have had tinnitus in my left ear since last year and it has become louder/more noticeable. it is quite high pitched and constant. Never wavers or goes away.

Went to ENT and hearing test shows slight hearing loss in left ear also. I can hear for phone calls but I've noticed I find it hard to make out what people are saying if there is a lot of noise.

i have also had periods of lightheadedness and slight dizziness but I wouldn't go so far as to call this classic vertigo, more a spaced out feeling.

I also get regular headaches but not sure if these are connected. ENT is sending me for an MRI to rule out an acoustic neuroma. I'm pretty freaked out as I feel all my symptoms point to this.

Anyone with similar symptoms found another cit use??

2 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Next
  • Posted

**Another cause!

• Posted

Mine is similar. The GP thought it was all allergy related. Not sure I'm convinced.
    • Posted

How long did it last? I thr antidepressant and think it's those. Down as a side effect on the leaflet, but of course the GP says not. I also have anxiety!
    • Posted

I still have it but sometimes worse than at other times.  it seems to be when I'm tired or stressed that the noise is worse. I also have difficulty hearing conversation properly  - on the phone even harder.
    • Posted

I know what you mean. My ears feel hypersensitive to sound especially when it's noisy or the TV is loud and there is other stuff going on. When did yours start?
    • Posted

i have been having tittanus in my left ear for a week now and my heart has been beating fast and poundly. i went to gp and it turned out it was wax blockage and he made ear wash and took it out but im still having tittanus in my left ear and my heart is stil pounding fast anyone knows why 
  • Posted

Hi guys well I wish I could say I was on my own and you were not suffering but mine feel more prominent in my left ear but I also have it in my right ear, completed a hearing test, the right ear a little less then the left but overall not bad, mine appears to get worse if I am stresses or anxious, you worry about all sorts of things, ENT for me next and I am a little anxious as to what is next, I know one guy who has suffered with this for 8 years and I thought I was bad with over a year of suffering, hang in there Finlay it might not be as bad as you think, easy for me to say keep calm because as soon as I have to visit the Dr for anything I go into panic mode.
    • Posted

I'm afraid that I am trying to get on with life and ignore it as much as possible.  The GP surgery is so short staffed just now and chances are nothing can be done anyway.  Three other people I meet often have the same thing and nothing has made any difference.
    • Posted

I've been out all day didn't notice the tinnitus once probably through talking, radio etc. now I'm home it's back like I've been to a concert all day!!
    • Posted

I'm with you, Carol! Hearing loss and tinnitus in left ear only, and after all tests, the ENT said he can help with a hearing aid. Uh-uh, not yet. I also ignore as much as possible and find self-medication with cannabis and a bit of alcohol doesn't hurt either. But nothing beats my daily 30 mile bike rides!

• Posted

My tinnitus is central and I know what caused it - well one of two things anyway. When it first presented, things sounded strange. Anything llouder than normal background ambient sounds were distorted as though coming from a cheap transistor radio with nearly dud batteries. Certain types of music was uncomfortable to listed to, especially live piano. I'm not sure if that aspect actually got better or I just got used to it as this is 23 years ago now. But at times the tinnitus is very intrusive and nearly always a very high pitched ringing noise. I can usually tell when I'm going to get a headache as the ringing gets louder.

No idea about why you might have it only in one ear though.

• Posted

I was having chemo and also a IV antibiotic. Both have the propensity to cause hearing damage (so I was told when I told the Drs about the effect I was getting. They changed to a less toxic chemo and a different antibiotic.

So no I didn't know which one of two caused it. Seemed unimportant really as all that was important was to get the chemo to work, which it did eventually then more treatment for full remission (this was 20+ years ago now).

• Posted

Yes I'm glad the chemo worked, that's the most important thing. Seems sill for us to be moaning about a bit of tinnitus x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.