Tinnitus that Leads to Anxiety Attacks

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been extremely concerned about my health lately.

Just the other night, I was lying in bed trying to fall asleep at 11 p.m. I wasn't restless, I wasn't stressed or nervous, I wasn't hungry or thirsty, and it seemed like a normal night. My body began to relax, and I could feel that I was slowly starting to fall asleep. I began to notice a ringing in my ears. The room was very quiet. The more I focused on the ringing, the louder it got. I then began to feel my heart race. I could hear it beating so fast! Suddenly, my skin began to get pins and needles that would prick me with every beat of my heart. And the faster it got, the more the pins and needles began to blend into a burning sensation all over my body. I could even see zooming dots pricking my vision (my eyes were closed because I was trying to sleep).

I quickly ripped my eyes open and started to move. I sat up in bed and began rubbing my face and tried to shake my body out. The burning/pricks went away slowly, but that God-awful ringing just wouldn't quit! I quickly grabbed my phone from my bed side table and tried to turn on some music in hopes to drown out the ringing. I turned on some quiet music so that I wouldn't wake up my family. I went on my phone for a while and looked through social media to try to distract my mind from the ringing. Once it went away, I attempted to fall asleep. I noticed if I rubbed my ears, the ringing wouldn't take over. So, I fell asleep like that. Rubbing my ears.

I woke up again at 4:00 in the morning. I couldn't fall asleep again because the ringing returned! In fear of having those awful pin-pricks/burning return, I tried all my old tricks. Go on my phone until it went away, and then rub my ears. I fell asleep again and woke up exhausted at 10 am.

?I discussed my terrible night with both of my parents. My father simply brushed me off, saying that we would see a doctor if it kept happening. He said I was just worrying too much. My mother, on the other hand, mentioned Tinnitus.

?I decided to Google Tinnitus and look further into it. I came up with many results.

?I believe that I have Tinnitus. And the Tinnitus is causing these terrible anxiety attacks. The anxiety attacks cause the pin-pricks/burning and accelerated heart beat.

?I just don't know how to stop this! This has happened to me three times now. Sleep doesn't come easy, and I am desperate. My parents are willing to take me to a doctor, but I don't know if this is a quick at home fix or not.

?Please give me some information about therapy or medication I can take to help this go away.

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Morgan9279,

I am not a medically qualified person but have suffered Tinnitus on and off for many years.

I think your first step must be to see your own doctor as the cause may be evident to him and the remedy simple.

I also think that worrying about it only increases the amount you notice it.

Please get medical advice...

• Posted

I agree!  Medical advice is needed, preferably ENT (Ear Nose tha Throat doctor).

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clnical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

Hello, I have suffered with tinnitus for the past six months ! I too experience prickling in the veins, and throbbing/ pulsating arteries, along with other distressing symptons, which I have when my tinnitus is at its loudest !  I believe it was Amlodipine that caused my tinnitus, and I think that, maybe, the circulation problem I am having is also an effect of the drug.! I have seen a Neurologist, and am now booked in for an MRI . I think you too should seek expert advice . I hope you feel better quickly.
    • Posted

It is possible that the Amlodipine will have affected your levels of vitamins B12 and B6 and Tinnitus is one of the symptoms of B12 deficiency and also Pernicious Anaemia.

Have you had your serum B12 and Folate levels checked?

• Posted

Thank you for your reply clivealive . No I haven't had any tests done yet, but I am vegetarian, so with a bit of luck it could be that! Be good if it was, at least there could be a cure then ! I think tinnitus is a nasty thing to have to deal with and, hopefully, everyone will be cured before too long.

• Posted

As a vegetarian you should perhaps be looking at supplementing B12 but before you do so have a serum B12 blood test and Folate test taken to establish that you are deficient.

Sadly many doctors "shrug off" vitamin disorders but if you start off by saying you are vegetarian and say what symptoms you are having which can include:-

Extreme tiredness or fatigue.

A lack of energy or lethargy.

Being out of breath.

Feeling faint.

Headache.

Ringing in the ears (tinnitus)

Lack of appetite.

then he or she might sit up and take notice and depending on the results of the test offer a course of injections of B12 which may well continue for the rest of your life.

I've had P.A. for 45 years and I'm still "clivvealive" at 75

• Posted

You are doing well - keep up the good work !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.