Tips for daily living with inguinal hernia?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Leaving aside for the moment the option of an operation, what tips and techniques do people have for making an inguinal hernia less painful and easier to live with? I've figured out that avoiding standing for long periods helps; what else? Exercises (what do you do)? Diet? Toilet habits? Other things? Any advice much appreciated.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Buy a hernia support (truss)!  Before operation I bought one by Oppo from Amazon which cost just under £20.  This kept the hernia reduced whilst doing any exercise, gardening etc.  A hernia will not heal and will tend to enlarge with time.  Otherwise, anything you can do to keep down the intra-abdominal pressure will help.  A regular bowel habit and avoiding constipation is good; adding a couple of tablespoons of ground linseed (flax) to your daily diet helps this and also provides Omega3.  I'm glad I had the operation 6 months ago; I'm not restricted now and don't have to stand on my head all day (only joking!).
    • Posted

Thanks so much colin95803. I've ordered a support garmet so your comments give me hope for its success! Will try linseed too.
  • Posted

I'd have to pretty much agree with everything colin said. By following those steps, you'll be able to live pretty much pain free. But just a warning . . .  It won't heal itself, and it'll only get bigger. And you won't feel that either. I lived with one for 12 years untill one day I woke up and I could tell that something had changed. There was some slight pain. It felt like there were three testicles and I had trouble peeing. It also triggered off a case of shingles around there. As it turned out, the hernia got so big, my bladder slid down through it. Now it became a urology issue which brtings about their invasive tactics and checks. My advice get it fixed when you could. Recovery isn't that bad Wear sweat pants, and just take it easy for a couple of weeks without heavy lifting. Good luck
    • Posted

Thanks ctrix1. 12 years! That's encouraging! But I note your warning about future possible complications.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.