tiredness

Posted , 12 users are following.

I am nearly 19 weeks post operation and think I am doing very well. I have been looking after my two grandchildren these school holidays and been taking them to the park and going long walks with them. So far so good. The only thing is the tiredness . After tea I am shattered. This is even when I haven't had the children like at weekend or if I haven't been out at all during the day. I wonder if anyone else is still like this. I am going to a party Saturday and know I will be feeling tired befoe I go. Will have to have a rest in the afternoon. X

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Joan - I'm constantly tired (am 29 weeks post op) and put it down to being back at work but I too am tired at the weekend as well. Not sure if it's all down to recovery of if my body is telling me it's time to give up work!!! I think if you feel tired have a nap if you can just to recharge your batteries. Sounds as though you are doing a lot so perhaps just have few 40 winks when you feel tired 😴😴
  • Posted

Allow yourself to have this rest before you go to the party. Do not feel guiilty about it.

If you are really tired can you learn to say no to things sometimes?

Maybe you just have to accept that you are slowing down.

Happens to us all.

Hope you enjoy the party.

Sarah xxx

• Posted

Hi Joan,

Join the club!

Six weeks today, and feel like the walking dead a good part of the day. Some of it could be sleep deprivation. But in any event, I do feel your pain. I trust that our energetic bodies will return. Wow....16 weeks, still no picnic. 

Last night  felt like the day after surgery....throbbing, no sleep, and keeping off narcotics....oye vey. Need totrust in the universe, or think of it as Jesus in the desert!

Anyways..this is such a great site. Many Thanks!

Lee

• Posted

Very normal, 

Joan.  Your body is still healing and we still have to think very hard about everything we do with a new knee.  It does take about a year to fully get over it.

I'm in a very bad way with my 2nd TKR (11 months now) and am going back into hospital next month to have it opened up again.  I would so love to be able to get out and about like you are.  I can't straighten my knee, so every step is difficult and painful.

Just take your time and try not to over-do it ;-)

Patsy

• Posted

Had my TKR July 1st and like you and others here I feeling the need for early nights and occasional naps. Again as everyone says I think you have to just listen to your body be good to yourself and take the rest you feel you need and not worry about it.
  • Posted

Hi Joan. If am sixteen weeks now and back to doing everything I can manage, I was at physio on Monday and said I felt  I was slow progress  bend is over 100 but not quite straight  leg yet and i can't sleep .  It is uncomfortable  when I stop doing anything.  So I am trying to slow down a bit and rest in between which I find hard to do,  so  please rest before you go out and enjoy your party .  I'm flying to tenerife on Wednesday  for much needed rest.  I also have 2 elderly parents in their nineties living with me so my life not straight forward,   
  • Posted

I would suggest seeing your primary care Dr and having blood work done. You lost a lot of blood during the surgery even though it might not have been enough to warrant a transfusion. If your iron level is low to start with its hard to rebuild it to a normal level unless you are eating iron rich foods at in unusually high quantities. Its unwise to start on iron pills without Dr's advice as they can produce unnecessary unwanted side effects. It takes the body time to rid itself of some of the byproducts of surgery and 19 weeks isn't a real good measuring stick for that. Eat healthy, drink more than the usual amts of water and rest. You may have taken on a bit too much taking care of the grandkids way too soon in the process. That will keep you drained
  • Posted

Hi Joan - I am 19 weeks too. I am still on pain relief and anti-inflammatory. I get very tired pm and put it down to the meds. I have tried not to take them, but I get in pain. Especially now my unopertated leg is giving me grief. I have that permanently strapped to give me time for healing the new knee. I am going to have to relent and get it done as it is slowing me down.
  • Posted

I'm 22 weeks po new knee cap and metal trochlea. Only in last 2/3 weeks has knee begun to feel easier, as I'm suffering from muscle wastage and its taking alot of effort to build these back up. I too dont sleep well, knee still feels funny at night and am also suffering menopausal sweats......what a combination lol! I'm still signed off work, don't think I could keep my eyes open after lunchtime and slightest exertion wears me out. I think/know if I could sleep better I'd feel better during day. Am going to docs tomorrow to see if she'll give me sleeping tablets, in the hope they'll get me back into a normal sleep pattern. Fingers crossed! 

I was prescribed antidepressants a few weeks back because I think everything was getting me down, but so far have managed to resist taking them. Sleep deprivation can do strange things to you! 

• Posted

Forgot to also say......I have 19 month old granddaughter and I can't yet look after her on my own in the house, never mind going out on long walks with her. Dont take too much on, I think this operation is brutal and although we all want a quick recovery I don't think any of us on this forum realised how much it would take out of us and the length of time it would take to once again feel "normal". As far as I can see there's not one person on this forum who has been lucky and is having aa quick recovery.......if there was then they wouldn't be needing the advice and comfort offered by people on this forum! 
  • Posted

Hi joan I know what you mean ! I'm 14 week. Post op from tkr and I'm back at work tues I work on primary school and I'm panicking because I too get tired I have been going to gym and increasing my walking to try and prepare and like you have had my grandson some days and looked after his lab puppy while they've been on hols but I'm knackered !!! Iv been out with my 84 yr old mum today for lunch and a bit of shopping and I'm. Sat here now like iv just run a marathon aching and shattered I just hope I can manage to last a full week at work !!
  • Posted

I will be at 13 weeks tomorrow and am back pretty much back to normal activities, but i do get sleepy in the afternoons especially if I have taken a long walk in the morning which I try to do.

It does sound as if you are doing a lot. Our grandkids are 10 and 12 now but I used to find  I was exhausted after a weekend of them when they were younger.

• Posted

Hey I'm looking forwards to get my knees fixed so I can function going to my primary care to see what I need got injections cortisone but it helped for a week primary has to give the surgeon permission to do the procedure. Cause the has been doing research with my ex ray. They can't figure why I can walk after I had my Back Fusion and my 2 hips replaced. Then he said we will have to do surgery Down the Road. Like now Doc. I'm so happy you've had success.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.