tiredness on antripline

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all could someone help, ive been on 10mg amitriptyline for 6 days for

depression i feel its working but when does the tiredness stop i slept from 11pm to 7am and still feel tired does anyone have any advise plz

0 likes, 106 replies

106 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi

Takes around 6 weeks to get full effect of taking amitriptyline I'm afraid tiredness is a side effect I take 40mpg per night around the same time 8.30 pm its a good drug for me as I suffer from chronic pain it will get better but it's one of the side effects but I feel it's worth it as I can have a very good night sleep without it I was not sleeping at all hang in there

Best of luck

• Posted

Thank you for replying, doesnt the tiredness go away in the 6 days ive felt tired 4 the next day, whats the point of having it for sleep when ur tired the next day ?
    • Posted

Yes it's like having a hangover effect but you will get use to it the trouble is people don't give it enough time too work I also take tramadol too which makes me tired too also another side effect is Weight gain some people pile on the pounds others don't at all try and take it the same time every night I started on 30mg then went up too 40 mg you will feel less tired after a while just give the drug time to get used to your system
    • Posted

Ive lost weight on them, thank you ill bare with them, if i take one early evening like now lol can i still go out i dont want to be stuck in all evening lol
    • Posted

Dunno about drinking I've gave that up years ago you may fall asleep on a night out lol but your only on a low dose so I can't see any problem
    • Posted

Lol i dont drink either , i meant to see friends, or out but with no drinking lol
  • Posted

I take it for migraines. It takes a while to work out what the best time is for the best sleep. As well as timing, i also found it better on an empty stomach. Seems to kick in quicker and i wake up fresher. 
  • Posted

I have just come off an 11 year stint on ami, and have noticed that I no longer get the "dry-eye" which I found made mornings a lot harder. It is surprising how dry eyes can make you feel more tired.  If you think this is what is happening, dry some drops or eye mist to see if that helps in the morning, before you get out of bed.
  • Posted

I've been on 25ng fir 16 years niw..great night sleep no lain..can handle anything the next day..as I've had a great sleep...it takes a wile so stuck with it..I was started on a higher dies..grr...like a zombie all the next day...reduced it till it worked good.apI could sleep fro. 7pm till 20m the next day even now...but once you make the effort to get up showered and dressed..I'm absolutely fine all day...I take the meds a hour befire bed...then I have to be woken...so i get up straight away knowing I'll be ok..once up..but gotta say I'm dead to the world when I'm woken and it's just too easy to stay in bed..as I go off to sleep straight away....so give them a go...the were/are originally used for  treating depression, because it numbs the nerve end where we have such pain..it stops the pain from travelling to the next nerve...then throughout the body...it's great for pain and I guess me taking it I get the benifits of an antidepressant...could be why I never have had depression..:-) hang in there Julie..keep blogging anf be infirmed..and encouraged,,we all know how you feel....have a lovely day..be blessed.:-) xxx
  • Posted

Amitryptyline is certainly a very effective drug for long term chronic pain. I have been taking the drug for 25 years with a nightly dose of 50mg. I sleep well and wake up refreshed. I am fortunate because it is known for two very common side-effects on most people ie; dry mouth and drowsiness first thing in the morning. I suffer neither of these effects. 
  • Posted

Hi, it does get easier but as the others have said it takes time. I take mine about 7pm and then I dont feel too drowsy the next morning xx
    • Posted

Hi thanks hunni, i dont feel to bad this morning, seems to come and go, hanging in there x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.