TKR

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm almost 5 weeks post op and have loads of swelling in my foot and ankle. I try and keep it elevated and iced as much as I can. Anyone else have this?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Yes very normal just keep ur knee moving go to pt do your at home exercising 3x a day very important apparently I didn't move my knee enough! Gotta go for knee manipulation on Aug 15 hope all goes well for you!

• Posted

Sounds the normal, I'm 11 weeks post op and feeling like I've just turned a corner on the road to recovery, the first 6 weeks I thought I'd never get the bend on my knee which didn't seem to move from 70 as it was so swollen, I go to pt 3 times a week I'm now on cross trainer for 10 mins, stationary bike with an adjusted peddle on my operated leg for 10 mins and doing squats and various other exercises, at home in between I put on five songs everyday and do exercise to my music, only when home alone haha, I still ice and elevate 5 times a day, my bend is now well over 110, I'm sleeping better as well, I can't recommend enough the importance of the exercise just push thru that pain barrier as much as poss, good luck I wish you a speedy recovery 

• Posted

Yes I'm 4 weeks at this time top of my foot and ankle seem to swell,mostly at night,I started rubbing in upward position,iced more stretching toes point up this seems to help alot.Good Luck I've had 3 surgeryso in 5 years this one by far has been my hardest...

• Posted

Thank you

I've been doing the lunges and it feels like all is going to split. Another one my Physio said was standing on tip toes. Good luck to you too!

• Posted

Hi Dawnsusan, yes I suffered severely with this my feet looked like balloons .. both feet and legs had the same problem even tho I only had my right knee done.  I ended up being admitted back into hospital with the foot of the bed raised really high and was only allowed to leave bed to for the bathroom or to be showered.  I ended up buying a pair of Skecher thongs (flip flops if your in the States) with ribbed elastic straps and found them helpful as they would stretch to cope with my feet.  At nearly 10mths post op my feet have only now gone back to their normal size after being put on high dose cortisone at present am weaning off the cortisone so interested in seeing what happens after I stop taking it.  But I've also just stopped taking oxycontin and endone .. my dr said that my reaction to the swelling for both feet was due to the oxy???

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.