TKR Am I resting too much?

Posted , 15 users are following.

This is my sixth day after TKR and I always seem to be resting in bed. The pain is so bad that I can't sleep much. Should I be walking around the house more? Just going to the bathroom exhausts and drains me. This morning I had a shower and I couldn't wait to get back into bed. I try all the bed exercises but I am still not able to lift my leg up. I have tried the towel under the knee but the stabbing pain is really bad. 

Unfortunately because of allergies I'm not very good with pain killers.The main tablet makes me very sickly but I have another tablet to help combat that. 

I am very down today and keep crying. I just look at my knee and think 'What an earth have I gone and done?' 

I know I'm being a big softee but reading other peoples experiences on here does help as I know others are suffering too.

It's just that it's so hard to exercise when there is so much pain. 

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm so sorry you are feeling so down. As a 15 week tkr let me say you are feeling NORMAL for a new tkr! You will be so tired for several weeks! Please rest all you need to so your body will heal. Walk to the bathroom or another short distance every 45 min just to keep the knee moving. But rest, rest, rest in these early days. As I write this I am at the gym cycling. But in the first month I was just like you. God bless and good luck!

• Posted

Hi saralice, u r not being a big softee it is a huge surgery that u had and u can't go and try to do too much before u are able, don't push on the chance that u may hurt yourself. Truthfully I went to rehab after my surgery for 7 days and took it 1 Day at a time. U r so early on in your recovery and I still rest all the time and I'm 8 wks post op. Your body will let u know when it is ready to do more. Good luck and rest all u need to

• Posted

You cry all you need to its normal. I did the same. It will get better believe me. You're doing good to rest . Exexcise only if you can. With swelling it's difficult. I remember not being able to lift my leg but it came eventually don't worry. It's major surgery so be kind to yourself. After 2 weeks out I went to physio once a week which really helped. 3 months out now still exercise everyday. My partner had to shower me that first week as I was in so much pain. Stay positive and focused on your recovery.

• Posted

You will get there.im 6 wk i to a tkr and it waz the same for me the first few days .i found it so hard and lainfull walking with a zimmer frame but i persivered and ive got ther .i can walk a little bit without my crutches now and the pains a lot better apart from at night.ive been given stronger painkillers for nite time.my problem is getting out,ive been house bound since february since i fell .i had my surgery on the 1st july so im realy looming forward to being able to get out and about.dont get me wrong i do still have days when i cry and think y did i get it done but now im getting there im not as bad.good luck and just keep going u will get there.xx
  • Posted

Saralice - your post brought tears to my eyes because I remember that's exactly how I felt. Please don't worry it'll get better tho it seems like it won't. I was shocked at how little I could do those first few weeks and wondered if I made a mistake. But the body heals!! Hang in there one day at a time. I spent many days crying but im not now. Ten months out for me....that probably seems a life time away for you but time does go on.....hang in there...there is a light at the end!

• Posted

Thank you so much for your kind and encouraging posts. I am so lucky in that I have a wonderful partner who will do anything for me. He tries to keep me going. I also don't want any visitors yet as I will definitely not be good company. I do so hope my friends and lovely neighbours will understand. One kind neighbour has lent me a mobility scooter which his wife no longer uses. A visit to our local park, even though in pain,may boost my mood in a week or so. Its a long journey I know but hopefully worth it in the end.

• Posted

Hi its totally worth it in the end and once u feel up to it, go outside get fresh air, when u r ready have ppl come visit u. I still cry all the time but I know there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Just listen to your body and u will be surprised how just 1 Day u do something u weren't able to do the day before. Good luck with your recovery and if someone wants to do something for u that's ok too

• Posted

Nice to have the use of the mobility scooter. The outdoors will do your spirit a ton of good. Is it in the house so you can practice getting on and off. I drove a moped type scooter around for transportation (so not at all the same thing), but the doctor told me to wait at least 6 weeks. It required being able to bend my knees at least 90 degrees and to be able to quickly drop them to the ground and lift back into place for stopping and going. But that's what motivated me because I really wanted to get out, shop, see things other than my apartment or walking down the street.

• Posted

Hi saralice

I am exactly the same 6 days post op. I ha e just been to the physio and she said I have to rest. My knee is so painful and I can't lift it up yet. Don't panic it's a big op and I am for once am not going to push myself too hard.

Rest on your bed I am just going to get back on mine X X X X.

• Posted

Hi Saralice, I was excactly the same certainly at 6 days after. I thought Id lost all my independence and was in so much pain, like you I couldnt take prescription meds just paracetomol which did nothing. Ive realised now after 4 wks that it takes time and dont push yourself, this site and everyone on it has been a lifeline cos I felt so alone before I joined.I now have fairly good bend and straightening but have  difficulty walking outside tho Im on one crutch.You are bound to be tired you need to rest.Try to be patient, it really will get better!
  • Posted

I relate! I was much the same way early on in recovery. My depression began after I stopped taking opiods at around 2-1/2 weeks. You need the rest! Your body heals when you are sleeping. Elevate and ice as much as possible. It will get better, I promise. I'm at 6 weeks post op and still tired and resting after shower. I didn't feel more emotionally like myself until a few days ago. Take it very slow. God bless you.

• Posted

I just read your reply and it sounds like me - I'm almost 4 weeks post op and my knee is doing very well and I too got off the pain med at about 3 weeks and I'm doing fine on Advil / but I have a lot of anxiety and I'm not sure why and is it common?

• Posted

Your anxiety could be due to post op depression. I found out it's a real thing! I heard this happens when one loses a major body part. The depression was real for me at about 3 weeks and I still feel a little of it at 6 weeks. And/or your body may be withdrawing from the heavy meds. Whichever, you sound normal to me.

• Posted

Saralice, we all go thorugh this emotional roller coaster. 6 days post op is early - for me, I was still in the hospital and hadn't even been able to shower. But I had both knees replaced at the same time. They did have me up and walking around, but with a walker and always supervised at the hospital. I was supposed to be able to lift my legs before being discharged. I could hold one up, the other was really more difficult. I had to leave with legs braces on...there was no way I could even get into a vehicle. Keep in mind, this was in India (though I'm an American - I was working there at the time), but they brought me home on a stretcher in an ambulance. Can you imagine?

My living room sofa and chairs felt too low to the ground for me - I tried and realized it was not a good idea. So I hung out on my bed. From there I did my exercises, hung my legs off the side, lifted them, bent them and straightened them. The nice thing about being in my bed was I cat napped whenever I needed it. With the horrible sleep I was getting at night, I figured getting it whenever I could was good. Rest is important to healing. But depression is also something to be aware of.

Be sure to eat properly and drink lots of water. These too are crucial. I understand that the pain killers may make this difficult. Perhaps there's something you can take that doesn't upset your stomach. Using ice will help with pain before and after exercise.

-Mo

• Posted

1. No, you are not/resting/sleeping too much.  My doc told me that all the energy in your body is being directed toward healing.  Rest and sleep as much as your body tells you to do.

2, Down/Crying...  Post-Operative Depression.  Very common.

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-experience-or-wish-i-had-another-kidney-stone--524499

Hope this helps...

• Posted

Im 5 wk into tkr and everything going ok but keep getting cramp in my foot?x
    • Posted

Haven't heard that one.  Talk to your foot...tell it to stop doing that!  Seriously, have you tried applying heat or a warming jell?  Does it cramp all the time or after exercise?

• Posted

If it's just a muscle cramp, I'd use something like Aspercreme or Capsaisin followed by some gentle flexing...then elevate.  If this persists for more than a few days, see your doc or talk to your PT about it.  With no pain in your lower leg, I just don't see the connection...but they might.

• Posted

Dont see pt for 3 wks as last time she came she told me my calf was still to swollen n had more blood tests.the cramps have only just started the past few days.x
    • Posted

If your calf is still swollen, the foot could indicate a worsening condition.  See your doc...ASAP.
    • Posted

Ive seen my local doctor and hes doing blood test as i can get into see my consultant until 19th august.x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.