TKR and spinal block

Posted , 22 users are following.

HI everyone,

i'm having my knee replacement in 10 days time and have been advised on friday it will be by spinal block and a sedative.I'm a little nervous of having it done this way although it looks like the recovery time ect is much better.has anyone had their op this way and if so how was it..many thanks

3 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Lou

I can TKR with an extensive synovectomy and some other stuff 14 weeks ago with an epidural (spinal blockage) and sedation. It worked well and also provided extra painkiller in my leg for some time afterwards. I was up and out of bed 24 hours later as is the norm. Positive experience here. Good luck with your op. MM x

• Posted

Hi, I had mine with a spinal and sedation and I was also very worried and almost cancelled because of it. But, the spinal was very easily done and the sedation felt like a general. I woke up thinking they'd put me under. It took a good 12 hrs for the feeling to come back into both my legs which was strange. A lot longer than a previous epidural I'd had.

It's not as bad as it sounds and you'll be fine. Be brave and good luck

Julia x

• Posted

Thank you,i really dislike general so im ok with having it done this way,you have put my mind at ease x

• Posted

I think most people have the spinal block now. I had my op 17 weeks ago and had spinal with a bit of general just to knock me out. I was told by my consultant that he didn't want me conscious as my op would be longer and much trickier than a normal TKR...it lasted 4 hours so I'm glad I listened. Recovery was brilliant, I felt fine as soon as I woke. Nothing to worry about, all you'll feel is a bit of pressure on the spine and a little trickle as it goes in x
  • Posted

Hi Lou,

Please don't be nervous of this procedure, it is fantastic and has a much quicker recovery time.  I was so afraid when this procedure was suggested to me and almost made myself ill worrying about it. When the anaesthetist came to my room to finalise details with me just prior to my op, I confided my worst fears with him, he assured me that I had nothing to worry about and that I would be given a sedative along with the spinal block.  They took me into the little room adjacent to the theatre and I sat on the edge of the bed whilst they checked my back, he then told me that after a tiny prick (which I didn't even feel)  my legs would begin to feel quite heavy. I remember starting to feel this and then knew nothing more until I was back in recovery room, and very shortly after taken to my bed and given a light meal. I just couldn't believe I had just come through a major op and felt so well. It took a few hours for the numb feeling in my legs to wear off and was so pleased I had gone ahead with the spinal block and sedation.  Hope this eases your worries.

Dorothy

• Posted

Oh Dorothy,that is just what i needed to hear,thank you for easing my mind.Just cant wait now to get it done x
    • Posted

My pleasure Lou,  pleased it has been of some help to you.  Best wishes to you for the coming days and weeks.
  • Posted

It seems to by country. In the US it is almost exclusive general. I don't know anyone in my area that has had a spinal. Moist are using the femoral wire for pain relief

Just before surgery they insert a wire in the femoral artery and start a drip that numbs the leg and then it's hooked to a self serve pump for extra distribution. Thats left in 24 to 48 hours. In the meantime they start on the or a l meds so you don't have the massive escalation in pain. I go to a medical school and the surgeon is an associate professor and instructor. He always has 2 or3 residents trailing him as does the anestheology professor.

• Posted

Hi everyone, 

I have had 3 TKR  in last 18 months and so a 4th.

I have always had a spinal block and it is great ,no after effects of ikky feeling

dont be nervous.

you will be fine

just  have them sedate you before you go into room and see the tools the use.

in last surgery i was still up when igot into OR i asked if they just left Home Depot

you will be just fine

• Posted

I have general and never have side effects. I did with the older stuff.....some naseau. With the drug they administer these days they have all but eliminated that. Sometimes abdominal surgery is different but they don't ordinarily give spinal for that anyway. I ate a full meal within 2 hours after surgery the last 2 times. I have been told spinal block is a less expensive way to go so may be why hospitals are using it to a greater degree. Seems like cost is playing a bigger role than it should in a lot of things medically. I encourage people to ask questions and be their own decision makers when given the opportunity. As for me, I want nothing to do with the spinal. The 1st tkr they were using a spin a l block for pain abatement and some how it got shut off. I was without pain meds for over 6 hours until I screamed and ranted loud enough for them to really have to check it out. Then they had to pump morphine in me iv every 15 minutes for relief. I was so knocked out they couldn't get me up for PT for 24 hrs. My 4 day stay turned into 12. As our MD nephew says, you have to be your own best advocate when it comes to your health. Thursday I have my 11th surgery on this leg and all have been general anesthesia. A couple of advantages I have, I am not extremely overweight nor am I a smoker. Also , I haven't any organic or diabetic conditions which often times play into the methods used.
    • Posted

I think in the UK now all knee and hip surgery are done in the main this way,as its a safer option,i have no other health issues so am really looking forward to no General ..
  • Posted

Spinal and sedation definitely the way to do it. I was a little nervous on the way to the theatre but it was absolutely fine and I have no knowledge of the actual op.
  • Posted

Hello Lou don't be worried. They will do a spinal tap, but you won't know anything about it. They give you a sedative before that and you will knocked out. They do spinal tap, I was told because we have involuntary movement of our limbs during surgery sometimes and they do not take a chance of your leg moving at the wrong time and mess up stuff.
  • Posted

Hi Lou

I am in Chicago 8 weeks post op on right and 2 weeks post op on left

I had the spinal and a light sedative

Felt nothing first op heard everything and was even asking questions not realizing where u was at second op was out didn't hear a thing

Woke up from both not feeling my legs for a couple of hours

After the pain med was available thru the IV

Have to say this is the way to go

Never regretted getting TKR can see the improvement although little each day

Looking forward to the day when I can finally ride my bike with my husband after years of dust collecting on it

Maybe I will get a new bike to celebrate?

Good luck to you

• Posted

Good luck on your surgery.i had it done in Dec. same as you, I was sick about it. It was wonderful and will do it for the 2nd one soon. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.