TKR Brutal Surgery

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am 42 years old and I had TKR on 9/14/16. The level of pain I was in following the days of my surgery was indescribable. Sleep was out of the question, getting in and out the bed was a task in itself. I was in constant pain, the exercises were painful and I felt as if I would never make any progress. The first time I was able to get out the bed without someone guiding my foot, I was excited. One of the worst things I had to deal with was the constipation. I actually had to go back to the hospital to remove blockage, my advice is to start taking laxatives right away, the stool softners are not strong enough for all of the narcotics in your system. I started home therapy right away and felt at times that yhe therapist was pushing me to fast. I was in a lot of pain and just couldn't bend my leg like they thought I should. I am now 4 weeks post surgery, the pain has gotten much better, I take fewer pain pills if any throughout the day, I keep my leg iced and elevated as much as I can. I am in my 3rd week of outpatient therapy and making progress on my bend. They want you to COMFORTABLY bend at about 110° I am currently at 95° on a good day. This surgery is BRUTAL but do your exercises, push through the pain, take your meds and eventually things will get better....Marsha

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Im 51 and 15wk post tkr and like you i was shocked the amount of pain you go through.im now walking about unadid and off meds.b aware you will get bad spasms round about 10-12 wk these are just muscle spasms as they heal.mine was that bad i was on diazipan but mine only lasted a couple of wk.ive been told by my doctor im not quiet ready to go bak to work as i wrk in a busy school kitchen and am on sick till after new year but i feel great.i can bend 110 and fully straighten.you will get there but keep icing and elevation.good luck.x
  • Posted

Marsha

Can only concur. I'm 7 weeks post op and finally seeing the light. Pain in the early weeks was indescribable and sleep was impossible. I can now use stationary bike carefully and walk in the pool regularly. Still in pain but it's more manageable. Sleep is still elusive but getting a few hours now. Meds yes. Attention to constipation yes . Gentle pm for table exercise yes and it will improve. With it all ..

Hopefully

• Posted

Hi Marsha.  I'm 46 and 10 months out of TKR.  I had 6 previous surgeries on the same knee due to a car accident years ago.  I figured since I was "young", I'd breeze right through it...Not the case!  I agree, the feeling I had from the drugs and the constipation was the worst!  My Dr switched me to Tramodal and I will still occassionally take a 1/2 a pill if I am going to be on my 

feet all day or have a heavy day of exercise planned.  I was off Percocet in less than 2 weeks because it was so awlful.  You're doing great at 4 weeks!  I'm only about 110 degrees, (and also had to go through a MUA) which is close to what I was prior.  I had hoped for more, but I'm just happy to not be in pain.  I'm back to spinning on a daily basis & feel like I finally got my life back.  Best of luck to you!

• Posted

hi marsha 8674 danie from south africa and also had a tkr about a year ago and should have gone for the 2ng one 6 months later but all kind of gremlins crept in non related to the tkr but it had to be postponed twice, lol heart atack and stenting and the blood thinners was one dont remeber no 2 but the good news is i am booked for the 7th november, and yes as you say it is a brutal op and all the rest is true i had very little sleep for the first month after that it got better, my physio said i do only what i can do and ice rest elevate and pain meds

now i am walking without assistance  but the left leg does not allow to much heroisn lol, i have no problem with the one that has been done and trust that the 2nd one will go good as well, so hang in there girl its down hill now and just gets better regards danie 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.