TKR MONDAY 30TH NOV

Posted , 16 users are following.

All set for my TKR tomorrow 30th Nov - it may sound strange to some people but after such a long wait for this - I am really looking forward to this operation !! I have to be at the hostital at 7am and haave been told that I am first on the list as type 2 diabetic - I am not worried about the pain post op as  cant be much worse than the pain this knee has dished out so far.  Wish me luck - they are keeping me in for 5 days so will communicate again  next weekend, with some positive comments I hope. best to all wishes Jude 

4 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Good luck! I too was 1st on the list, but only because there was no diabetic patients.On Wednesday, I will have reached the end of week 5, & this time around (mine was a revision) I am very pleased with the progress, I'm sure because I was SO positive. I had one setback, when I tried to do too much, so take the recovery nice & steady, & you will get there! - Veronica
  • Posted

Good Luck Jude!

I wiil keep my fingers crossed for you.

Love Grace

• Posted

Good Luck - You will probably be one of the first ones. I was last - didn't go in until 4pm - had been waiting since 7am. I'm 7 weeks post TKR and it's really worth it. x
  • Posted

happy you are finally getting this thing done so you can get on with your life. Just be sure and not get caught up with the hustle a nd bustle of the season and overdo it. Good luck and hope you are one of the 95% that blows through the process with no complication. Keep us advised of your progress and you'll be greeting eve t tone with a big Ho, Ho, Hi on Christmas and no a Woe, Woe, Woe
  • Posted

hi Jude

Wishing you all the best for tomorrow.  I know what you mean about looking forward to the Op.  I felt the same before my first TKR in Dec 2912, as it had taken so long to get to the point where the consultant had done an arthroscopy and realised what a bad state my knees were actually in.

However, I was not prepared for the pain, etc afterwards...or the fact that 5 months later I would need a manipulation.  It was only after that that I really started to make progress.  My second TKR has not been a bundle of fun either, but I hope that I am in the minority.

Think positively, do what they instruct you to do and you will work through it.  There will be up and down days, but I'm really glad that I had my first knee done now.

Patsy

• Posted

Hi there, Jude!

I was really ready, too, for my surgeries! I completely get how you are feeling about looking forward to getting it DONE!

The best thing that helped me was to stay calm, take each minute as it came and NOT WORRY! Staying positive will cause those natural endorphins to kick in, and your pain and discomfort will be less. Also, especially while you are in the hospital take advantage of the availability of your pain medication. DO NOT try to tough it out! Stay hydrated. This will help lessen your pain level as well.

You may have lots of swelling. You may not. I had both knees done this year (TKR) and had two very different experiences with them.

You are definitely right about it being SO GREAT to eventually be without all the pain you have been experiencing for many years! Sure, there is PAIN with ANY surgery, but the surgical pain is "pain with a purpose" because it is indicating that REPAIRS HAVE BEEN MADE! In my mind I tried to visualize any post-surgical pain that I had and see my body BEING MENDED. I tried to imagine the old pain being cut out by by surgeon and replaced with all the needed repair parts so that I was ready to be on my way to recovery.

It worked! It also gave me lots of positive thoughts to think about, and as I began to move better, walk a few steps with help, use the bathroom, develop a better appetite and then get discharged to go home, I felt like I had much progress. Each bit of progress led to MORE success.

I took things slowly but surely. Moving made me stronger so that I could move more. Staying positive made each hour better. Keeping a journal helped me keep track of all the good things I had accomplished that day.

I am VERY GLAD the "pointless pain" is over! Knowing that you are actively doing something to help get rid of that "pointless pain" will make you feel very good!

Sending prayers of strength, calm, and courage to you today! Please let us know how everything goes!

Stay positive!

• Posted

Cheryl I love your attitude. That's a great way of looking at the post op pain and I will keep it in mind should I get lucky and have my op in December. Thank you! biggrin
    • Posted

Cheryl. Wow what an amazing attitude. I hope that I will be able to be as positive as you are. My surgery is on Dec 3 and second is booked for mid March Reading the posts the last few weeks I am a little concerned that they are so close together Oh well one day at a time. Thanks for being so encouraging. I am sure Jude and the rest of us facing this surgery are all grateful for all of the encouraging posters such as you and can't forget OFG. Thanks again everyone for your posts
    • Posted

Thank you for the kind words!

Please keep us up to date about your surgery! You will do just fine!

• Posted

Thanks so much, Bev!

December and March will work well. After a couple months things get much easier with the first surgery. It is just good to get the next one because then BOTH will be done!

Let us know how things go! Sending prayers of calm and confidence and positive feelings for Dec. 3rd!!!

• Posted

Thanks so much. My husband will help me through. He is so good to me. Whatever comes,comes not much we can do about it besides follow orders and listen to all of the good advice given on these great posts thanks so much
  • Posted

Good luck Jude...I know what you mean as well. ..I wasn't nervous or worried just wanted the knee to be better after so long. You'll be great but as they have all said...Don't try to do too much too soon and most importantly listen to your body and don't let anyone tell you that you need to at a certain place (bend etc) by a certain time. ..best wishes Donna
  • Posted

Hi,Jude,I am also in for a tkr revision tomorrow! My original op was 2 years ago almost to the day,however,it needs replacing because the unit they put in was too big and I have had problems ever since. I wish you well and look forward to reading your posts in the coming weeks.
    • Posted

Good luck with the revision Nicky. Mine is at 4+ weeks, & doing a lot better than 1st time around! Only one physio so far due to a good bend, next one is Tuesday. It's stiff/painful & still swollen - but just "feels" right. I'll be thinking of you! - V

eronica

• Posted

All the best to you Nicky. Wishing you a successful surgery and pain free as possible

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.