TKR on right knee and left knee is complaining

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone, I am new on this forum. I had my TKR on the right knee at the end of April. My left knee is now complaining and the ankle on that leg is very swollen. The doc thought I had a blood clot and sent me off for a DVT scan. Turns out I have a Baker's cyst. Says it will go away on it 's own in 2-3weeks, which is almost up and that leg is still causing me problems. Has this happened to anyone else?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Baker's cysts don't often just go away in two or three weeks!  I had one for about ten years . . fortunately, it never burst.  I'm hoping it wont come back after my TKR but apparently it is a possibility!  my right knee did complain while I was putting so much weight on it just after the TKR on the left leg, but it has settled down again now. doubtless one day I will need a TKR on that one as well . . hope it's not soon!  Both my ankles are now swollen and very, very painful. Not sure if it has anything to do with the op or not . . . . 

• Posted

Oh goodness! The consultant who gave me the results of the DVT scan said if it hadn't gone away in 2-3 weeks to go see my GP. Just told me to take paracetomol. Goodness, didn't he realise I  am on a stack of painkillers 'cos of the TKR! I will let you know how it goes. Sorry to hear you had yours for 10 years.
    • Posted

Yes, but I was lucky with my Baker's cyst.  It was quite big, and you could see the bulge at the back of the knee, but it didn't really give me a great deal of pain . . there does seem to be quite a lot of difference in how they affect you . probably depends on where it is etc. . .I wouldn't really have known it was there except for a report when they did a scan looking for a dvt, like you.. .

• Posted

Hi Elaine.

i have had a ruptured Baker's Cyst and

I sympathise with you! It took about a month to clear up. I also had a TKR on the leg about 9mth later and my other knee has deteriorated since :0(

• Posted

Hi nicky. Good to hear yours cleared up in a month. Did the ankle swell on the leg that had the Baker's cyst? and if so did it go down once the Baker's cyst had cleared. Any tips on hurrying it away?
  • Posted

I had the cyst because the knee was damaged (I did it climbing Ben Nevis for charity) and the ankle was puffy,too. This type of cyst is an over production of the fluid that keeps a normal joint lubricated. If the joint is damaged,your body makes more of this fluid to try to protect and heal it. I think the only way to reduce swelling is the usual exercise,hydration,good diet etc and time,I'm afraid!
  • Posted

6 weeks on and this Baker's cyst and the swelling in the ankle on that leg has not gone away! The knee on this leg is giving up the ghost despite having it strapped up and on pain relief and anti inflammatory. Is it too soon to have another TKR when the other one is only 19 weeks post op?

• Posted

Have you tried compression bandaging and elevation for the ankle and calf?  If there is fluid in there from a Baker's cyst then bandaging the knee will make the problem worse. I had a cyst which ruptured and caused swelling in both the calf and ankle I was sent for therapy where I learned to wrap firmly from the foot to below the knee and elevate it whenenever possible to help absorption of the fluid. That worked but then the cyst refilled so next time I went and had it drained by the ortho surgeon. It just kept coming back - when the cyst was empty the knee would be more painful because there was no cushioning, Eventually I had arthroscopic surgery and the knee has been ok since then - that was maybe 5 years ago.
    • Posted

Thanks for this info Joan. I don't bandage the knee I use Kinesio tape to strap and it doesn't go around the back of the knee.  haven't tried compression bandaging, but I do elevate when I can. However, it is a bit difficult as the other knee with the tkr needs its exercise. Not an easy situation.
    • Posted

You could just try wrapping and elevating when you sit down in the evenings - and you can put an elastic bandage on the ankle during the daytime as walking with that on will help disperse the fluid.

Have you asked your surgeon about another TKR and if so, does he agree it is time?  Some people get them both done at once so I think it is pretty much up to you to decide what you can tolerate.

• Posted

I didn't realise that walking with a bandage on would disperse the fluid - why don't they explain these things at the time sad I will do that. I do elevate, but not with a bandage - I will try that. Thanks for your advice joan.
  • Posted

I am erring on the side of... it needs doing, lets get it over with and let me get my life back. I have a great surgeon and when he discharged me for the right TKR he said 'see you soon for the left' so he knows I need it done. There are days I feel ready and then I have a bad day and think 'no'. Mainly my 'bad' days are down to the knee that needs doing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.