TKR op.

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have followed this knee forum with interest and learned loads.

I'm awaiting my first TKR, I have to have both knees operated on separately. I had my pre-operative  assessment nearly seven weeks  ago but still have not had a date given me for my surgery despite being available   at  short notice.  

I'm 76 yrs and concerned  I will need  another  pre-op.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Yes, spoke to the secretary a couple of weeks ago. She said she 'would have a word' and get back to me.  Haven't heard from them since. neutral
  • Posted

My pre-op had expired by the time of surgery as my op got cancelled, blood tests stood but had to go back for mrsa swabs. That literally took seconds.

Give them a chase Margaret. Unfortunately I've learnt the hard way that unless I hound them, I don't get anywhere. I need follow up surgery, consultant said it had to be done in 12 weeks but his secretary said waiting list was 5 months. Even though he stressed medically that it had to be done within 12 weeks, she made it clear that it was unlikely. I actually ending up complaining to the hospital, they looked into it and a date miraculously appeared.

We shouldn't have to chase but sometimes it's necessary xx

• Posted

I think you will have to have another pre op as thr blood samples need doing again after 6 weeks but a lot of the other stuff will be the same so it shouldn't be as long????
  • Posted

They don't normally like the tests to be much more than a couple of weeks before...probably because of the MRSA ones.
  • Posted

I'm 78 and have had to have a series of surgeries over the past w years due to need in a knee revision, broken leg, staph infection. As I write this I am in the hospital starting recovery from having a new prosthesis put in on Thursday. First we are all so different and our conditions vary from so many reasons. I had my 1st one at age 66 and struggled. It seems to have gone easier except for complications caused by staph. They should tell you your biggest concerns are infections and blood clots but truly they are v÷y rare. I don't think age age is as big of factor as people make it out to be providing your heart lungs and kidneys are healthy. Try to build up your quads and back as much as possible before the surgery. Lose weight if you tend to be too heavy
    • Posted

Thank you folks for your comments. 

I think I will give it one more week and then 'rattle some bars'.

Do wish you well OFG, you certainly have been through the mill over the years.  Blessings.

• Posted

Thanks so much

Everything seems to be going well. Early this morning the stopped the fluid iv,s, pulled the catheter, pulled the nerve block, removed the drain from the incision and changed the dressing so I'm now completely without any s upport system. I can lift my leg about 3" by myself. I've been up to the bathroom 3 or 4 times and walked 70-80 ft. One time out of the room. As usual everything I so is wearing me out quickly. I was sitting here typing this on my phone and went sound to sleep. They are transferring me to a private room soon but they will have to do all the moving

• Posted

Hi. I had my pre op and hadn't been given a date , then hospital rang on the Monday and asked me to go tues for another pre op as bloods and swabs had expired but ECG was still

In date and op was set for the fri xx. Good luck ! I'm sure you will hear soon .I'm now 6 week post op and feeling good !Xx

• Posted

Margaret your story is similar to mine though perhaps not so confused.

I saw the consultant for the second time on May 1st.  Operation discussed and told I would have the op at the other hospital as that was were the operations for ortho were done now.  Told his waiting list was about six months.  I was therefore amazed when two weeks later I had a letter for pre op appointment.  I rang up to alter the appointment as we were away on that day and to also ask why I was having it in May when the op would likely be November.   Told that they always do pre ops three months early  as that people with knee and hip problems often had other things wrong and they liked to get the other things sorted.  She said I was down for op in July.  I said I could not do that as we were away last two weeks in July so she pencilled me in for first week in August.

I have now been for my pre op only to be told that I cannot have this on 1st August, as she had checked up on flights and we are flying to Barcelona late October and we are one week short of three months.  Now I had been told by consultant he was not bothered about short haul flights, and by the booking clerk it had to be six weeks.   The pre op person found the printed word and apparently it is three months.  So guess what I am back to November, which actually suits me fine as we are moving house next month.

I had said when asked that I would prefer a GA not spinal injection.  Was told this would be discussed on the day with me with the anaesthetist.   I had my chest and lungs examined, BP and an ECG all of which I passed.  I was told that most of pre op would be fine and not have to be done again just I would have to pop in for an MRSA test and a blood test but nothing more nearer the time.

Whilst sitting in the corridor awaiting my blood test the first person came back and said she had made an appointment to see the anaesthetist in two weeks.   I asked why and she said well it is good isn't it - you will be able to discuss anaesthetic now rather than on the day.  Then she said and he can confirm where you are having the operation because I think you may have to have it at the parent hospital and not able to have it here.

Make what you will of it all - perhaps i will know more on Tuesday.  Since all this I have had in addition to the appointment letter for Tuesday another appointment for the full one and a half hour pre op assessment at the end of September.

Angela (confused)

• Posted

Your story sounds similar to me too (with the exception of the holidays as I wasn't permitted to fly for the entire year prior to surgery as my knee had disappeared and I was too much of a DVT risk....not good when you work for a Tour Operator. Had to say goodbye to trips to Canada & the Cook Islands 😩).

I was & continue to be on the hospital roller coaster.

I would say you're better enjoying all of that prior to surgery.

I too had to move hospitals but mine was because the other didn't have an intensive care unit...my surgeon wouldn't take the risk as I needed extra bits building in my leg.

I also stressed I wanted General Anaesthetic but did have spinal in the end. I was completely knocked out with it though, I was adamant I didn't want to be lightly sedated. I can just remember asking the anaesthesiologist to put me under before I went into the theatre. I hadn't even finished my sentence and the next thing I knew I woke up afterwards. I'd really recommend it. I also had general a few days later when I needed further surgery. I was fine with both but a bit more with it following the spinal.

Good luck with the move x

• Posted

Hi Kathryn

Thanks for that.   You weren't at a hospital in the Manchester area by any chance were you.

Sorry you missed the travel particularly the Cook Islands.

I can only think the question of having the op at the larger hospital is the same as your reason, but not sure why.

I find your comments on having had the spinal encouraging.  My main reason for wanting a GA is that I had neurosurgery nearly two years ago and although it solved some problems I have spinal stenosis so always have back pain and my lower back is very tender.  I just don't want it there.  Also having said this to the consultant he said you will have to negotiate with the anaesthetist on the day but that he thought he would not want to have to negotiate the scar tissue.   We will see tomorrow.

Angela

• Posted

Hi Angela,

I live in Cheshire but my surgery was in Liverpool. I work in Manchester though so I pretty much cover the entire North West.

With your previous back issues I would actually push for the GA. Whilst I can't recommend the spinal highly enough, there is a slight bit of pressure on the back. You need to be as relaxed as possible and you'll understandably be tense. It might not be worth the worry. I had GA for my follow up surgery (my wound burst open and they couldn't do another spinal so soon). I still recovered quite quickly and was back on the ward with a cuppa. See what they say anyway but don't let them push you into anything you're not happy with.

Good luck. Let me know how you get on xx

• Posted

Hi Kathryn

Many thanks for your support.

Went yesterday to meet the Anaesthetist who was a lovely Indian gentleman.   He did not even argue the case for spinal.  He said he could understand my worries and fears and of course I should have a GA.   He said if my neurosurgery had been at one level down in my back he would have said GA in any case.

He also said there was no case for me having to go MRI for the op so I remain at Trafford.

Angela

• Posted

Brilliant Angela. That's a relief for you. I work near to Old Trafford so not far away. I should be back to work in Sept/Oct following my next op in 4 weeks so we can always meet for coffee if you need any extra support x
    • Posted

Thank you Kathryn.  I do realise how lucky I am that this has all started much later in life, and feel very sorry for you at your age.  I do hope all goes well in four weeks and do keep us up to date with progress.

It would be lovely to meet for a coffee but I guess impractical.  Although I am having the operation at Trafford of course I shall be living at Derby by then.

Best wishes

Angela

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.