TKR & oxcycodone, how long is too long?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all.  I am 6 weeks post-op with a partial knee replacement & a Total knee replacement ( was supposed to have 2 partials, but we all know how best laid plans go!).  I'm doing really well I've been told, 116 & 115 respectively.  Out patient PT 3days a week and I always feel better when I leave.    I have been trying to not take the oxcycodone so much, but after 2days with only taking Tylenol I was miserable, sleeping became almost impossible and my skin around my incisions (more so on the TKR) was so hyper-sensitive that ANYTHING touching skin there was unbearable!  I finally last night took a Percocet before bed and did indeed sleep!  I'm wondering if still needing the pain meds are normal at this point?  I was so concerned about becoming dependent, but I just can't handle this pain with Tylenol alone!  I can go more than 6 hours between, and could prob get by at this point with taking before bed and PT.  wondering how everyone else is managing?  Thanks so much for any input you guys have!  Robin.

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey Robin

I'm 7 weeks out and I know exactly how your incision feels. Mine is hyper sensitive too but I got off the oxy because I didn't like how I felt and I couldn't eat. I started on Advil and my doc said I could take up to 4 (800 mg) every 6 hours - and honestly it works! I also use a cream all over my knee either Australian Dream or Blue Emu - this works for me. I was told in pt to massage the area around the incision so do that too. The pool really has helped me get my ROM to 128 and FLEX almost 0 (not quite there yet). Getting comfortable at night and although I shouldn't I sleep sometimes with a pillow under my leg - not supposed to but I figure I gotta sleep ! Hang in there and try the otc meds - it's a brutal surgery for sure!

• Posted

Thanks so much for your response Barb!  Sometimes just hearing that others are in same boat makes all the difference!  At PT Friday I got my ROM to 120 on both legs!  Granted it was a littler more difficult for the TKR, but I'm getting there.  I was given the go ahead for lotion so I will try one of yours!  I go for my 6week f/u Tuesday, so hoping he will give me the go ahead for water!  Im an avid bike rider and am dying to get back on my bike, but they also gave me the go ahead for walking, starting out at about 15 min.I'm excited abou that!  I've decided to relax a little with the pain meds, if I need it before PT, I'm gonna take it and if I need one before bed, so be it!  I can tolerate anything if I can sleep!  I am gonna talk to him about a OTC tho!  Good luck with your recovery as well! You are right about it being brutal!  I just wasn't mentally prepared for the TKR, but I'm gonna be better for it!  One day! biggrin

• Posted

Hi Barb .. I'm 10.5mths post op and if I've over done the walking doesn't take much due to excessive inflammation still and fluid I sometimes find it easier if watching tv in bed to have slight support under my knee .. surgeon said that it can be quite common after a TKR and had no problem with me doing it if needed.  However I'm a side sleeper so I toss it out when I want to sleep.

• Posted

Wow you sound great Robin! I wasn't mentally prepared either - I was a mess for 4 weeks before I turned a corner. I must say now at almost 8 weeks I hardly have any pain except when I stand up after sitting for long periods - or when I first wake up in the am. I'm still working strengthening my quads as I have difficulty with stairs. I'm not using my cane, can walk without any pain. I don't think I would do it again but I'm glad now I did it. Those first four weeks were horrible for me. You sound great - keep working at it!!!

• Posted

Hi barb, so you're basically about 2 weeks ahead of me, gives me hope that maybe this pain will lessen even more than it already has.  I've had two episodes where I had a pity party about where I was and I must  say both were right before I turned corners, when I found this forum I was in middle of my second.  I'm so appreciative of the responses I've gotten and they have been helpful!  I can do stairs as well, but it is a struggle for me as well, I only take my cane when I'm out in places I'm not familiar with.  I'm hoping the PT will really help with strengthening my quads, that seems to be priority one!  I'm unsure about "would I do it again".  I was so tired of the day to day pain I was in, and that is gone, but wow, what a long road this is.  I'm so very glad I'm on this side of that journey!  Keep me posted on your "wow" moments!

robin

• Posted

Robin - I sooo understand . I was so distraught over the pain that I felt like it would never end and I had several melt downs! The pain made me tired and depressed. Once I turned the corner I started to improve. You just have keep working at it. I was thinking yesterday that I hardly feel my knee any more when I'm walking - but I definitely know it's there when I move the wrong way ! I have extended my pt till I feel comfortable with stairs then I'm probly done - keep in touch and let me know how you are progressing. Who knew this would be such a tough surgery? I sure didn't - I'm very busy and active and never thought it would take 6 weeks out of my life! Hugs?? Hang in there!

• Posted

Boy Barb, you're not kidding about the time to recover thing.  Today is 6 weeks, f/u with my surgeon yesterday!  Yay! I can drive again!  And I can get in water now!  That visit did wonders for making me feel like I'm a part of the living again!  It's been a long road, but I really do feel now that I've turned a big corner!  I'm too still a very active person, I was prepared for some discomfort, but I really wasn't prepared for not having a good leg to stand on! Lol!  I can laugh now! 😉  I'm do to go back to work first week in October, so hopefully I will jus keep getting better!  You too keep me posted on your milestones!  I will know what I have to look forward to!

Robin

• Posted

Hi Robin

I am a week gone my first total knee repacement and l was discharged with oxy and dihydrocodine. But before l went into hospital l.was taking tramadol co-codamol and oxy but l was only on 1 a day then when l needed it. The reason l was on so many painkilllers was that l have just had both hips replaced too and now need both knee 's replaced and thats me had my 1st one done.

Personally l need my oxy at.this moment l am taking about 2 to 3 a day. I do know the risks of taking controlled drugs and how addictive they can be but codine is the same and so are tramadol. I have been on all.these painkillers since november last year because l needed then through the 2 hip replacements. I cut down a lot after my 2nd hip replacement and was just taking them as and when needed.

Right now l am back on full amount of painkillers as l am in a lot of pain.

I think its up to you yourself as long as you are taking them for the right reason. And you know like l.know when you want to stop taking them you have to taper yourself off them ......do not just stop taking them cut them down by taking one less a day then more until.you feel you can do without. Hope things go ok. All in l have been on painkillers for 10 months. Not the best but needed in my case.

Good luck

Laura

• Posted

Wow Laura!  Yes, you do need your pain meds!  After my PT on Friday, I am relaxing on the pain med thing as well!  My therapist told me some patience was needed, if I need it then take it, you really can't make progress if you're miserable, and she is so right, I was able to work much harder if I took my Percocet before PT, and if I need it to sleep, then so be that as well. As of Friday my ROM is now 120, both legs, so I'm making progress, it's just so ever much more difficult and long than I thought it would be!  However,  thru it all I feel blessed to at least have made it through the worst hopefully and I do believe that I will be so much better off down the road!

I am so wishing you the best with your recoveries, at least you now have 3 surgeries behind you with only one more ahead!!!  Your story is inspiring to say the least!  We have to persevere!  Better days will be ahead!  

• Posted

I'm 2 weeks & 3 days since my TKR.I chose Tramadol as my pain killer.Much milder than OXC.I over did my PT one time and tore some skin away from a staple....now that is very sore.

I only take the Tram at night before bed & before PT.

• Posted

You  must have read my mind Amsoil Man, that was one of my fears. Fear of my incision area tearing and fear of falling down!  At 6weeks post op, my incision is now pretty well healed, so at least that one fear is behind me.  You will make it thru as well!  I think you will be much happier after those staples come out.  That was huge for me!  I'll as my doc at my appt. on Tuesday about a different pain med, but I have decided after reading about everyone else's recovery and talking to my PT therapist that I was prob pushing too hard and still need pain meds from time to rime, so I'm gonna listen to my body!  

Thanks for responding and best of luck!  Hang in there!  Three weeks post-op was when I really started feeling much better!

• Posted

Robin, you were given the pain medication, so you do not have severe pain.  Take the medication as you need it.  All surgeries, and recoveries are different, therefore the pain is different.

i took the oxyCodone at regular intervals for 12 weeks.  Started at every 4 hours, then every 6, then every 8, then every 12 and added Tylenol inbetween.

dont punish your body with the pain, it will hender your home exercise and mobility, therefore, it will hender your recovery.  Only you know what your actual pain and tolerance of pain levels.  

I am now 6 months TKR.  So glad I had it done.  I still have days when I am sore and swelling.  I still ice, rest and elevate.  Doc told me 12 months for my body to own the new knee and 18 to totally heal.  This was a major surgery.  Don't worry about taking the medication.....you will know when you do not need it....but use it while you do.

the sensitivity is very normal.  I wrapped mine in plastic wrap, and also used old t shirt material to cover.  Most importantly, I started rubbing it on a regular basis...bio oil is wonderful.  I know you can't imagine rubbing it, but trust me it will help with the sensitivity....and will help dissipate the scar.

pam

• Posted

Hi Pam, I responded to you yesterday but it doesn't look like it took it?  I wanted to make sure tho that you knew how much your response has helped me!  I was in middle of a pity party when I found this forum, all the responses I have gotten have been very helpful!  Yours however sounds pretty much like my PT therapists!  I have taken it to heart and it helped me to round this corner! I started gently massaging the parts of my incision area (that I can stand to) last night, and will continue.  I'm looking forward to the next step now and can't wait to get back to walking for exercise, something I have not been able to do for 7 years!  Good luck with your continued recovery! 😊

• Posted

I'm at 7 weeks TKR. My scar was like that for the first three weeks but is pretty good now and seemed to get better since I've massaged it twice a day with bio-oil. Not really easy access to a choice of pain killers in  the UK but I haven't needed any since the third week.

• Posted

Hey Dcweather, did you get my response yesterday?  It doesn't look like, and I wanted to thank you.  I just last night started massaging my scar, very uncomfortable feeling, but I can see that it will help so I will persevere!  I'm gonna relax with the pain killers and listen to my body.  We all travel a different road is one of the biggest take aways ive gotten from this forum!  I hope you continue to improve!

robin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.