Tkr pain and stiffness

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi I am reaching the 4 week mark, and I am still having problems. The major problem seams to be when I bend my knee it feels like it is catching and then locks for a second. This really hurts when I am doing steps, but it happens when I am doing heel slids or any other bending.

I was just wondering if anyone else has or had this problem. My surgeon said to keep eye on it, and it sounds like hamstring tendinitis?? So we are doing exercises to strengthen the hamstrings but I have not felt any relief.

Thanks again for any and all input

1 like, 242 replies

242 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Pretty typical Tom. It may take several months for all that to stop and then it can start up again and last a short time. Its a combination of all the soft tissue getting retuned and working together. Also, if they get fatigued you can have a set back. Again, tkr surgery is a gift that keeps on giving....you just don't know when you are doing to be surprised. The real concerns are if the knee suddenly gets very hot, turns red and/or shows any drainage. Then you need to head for ER asap because that's a high potential of infection. Most epi staph have a 28 day gestation period then a hard bump or fall call create concern. You have been making great process just be assured that the occassional bump in the road is just normal.
    • Posted

Thank my wise friend, I do have heat in the knee but not red and there is no drainage. I was just concerned about the catching and locking.

You are the knee guru thank sir

I hope all is well with you and your wife. Best wishes

Tom

• Posted

My daughter had knee replacement after she hyperextended it during a climbing fall. She had a automatic machine hooked up to her knee for exercising the knee. It was a RX from the doctor . This helps keep the blood flow and oxygen flow to the area for heeling as well as strengthening the tendons.
  • Posted

Hi Tom,

I have no idea.

Can you hear a click?

When did this start?

When did you start doing steps? Is it only since then?

Did surgeon mention an x-ray?

If it is the hamstring what did he recommend to coŕrect?

Hopefully it will be temporary,

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Hi Alan,

I hope you night was peaceful. And all is well with you.

I do have clicking, however this is not a click sound, it hard to describe it is catching something, even my physical therapist has felt it.

I did have xrays done at my 2 week check up all looked good.

The steps are at pt it is stepping up and down on a 6in step.

This has been going on for past week or two, the surgeon is aware of this, he said if no improvement in two weeks then call him back.

He thinks it could be the hamstrings??

We are doing stretches to strengthen the hamstrings.

When doing the heel slides I pull it back at I can fell it catching and then for a quick second it locks then it goes, that is the only way I can describe the feeling.

It is on the right backside of the knee, right at the bend of the knee.

The past two days or so it has been getting a little worse. I go back to therapy on Tuesday so I am going to ask for his opinion again.

So I hope you will have a great day.

Thanks again

Tom

• Posted

Hi Tom,

I am well, had a relatively good night.

I really hope the clicking you are experiencing is temporary. I will say some prayers that it disappears either with or without the help of the doctor.

Have a good day and take care,

Alan

• Posted

Thank you sir,

As always thank you for your assistance with this issue, I hope you aRe enjoying your day

Tom

• Posted

Beautiful day in the Midwest. Went to southeast Kansas to an old folks get together or otherwise known as a modified class reunion. Came homecworn out from just standing around. One thing about it, at my age everything ends early. Everyone has to be home taking medicine before 10. Enjoy your day. Sounds like you are on track.
    • Posted

Hi Alan

I hope you had a great day. How is it going?

I am doing ok sore today.

Just resting with ice and the tv.

Well enjoy your night.

Take care

Tom

• Posted

Hi Alan

Hope all is well and you are not over doing it.

I am seeing surgeon on Thursday. Had pt today still having alot of pain doing step ups.

So icing now. Knee at pt was very loose side to side today so I am hoping just need to work on muscle strength. Also stop walking with a cane.

Hope you have a great night

Tom

• Posted

Hi Tom, I get a quick sharp pain when I bend my knee then it goes, I am sure it's where it's all healing inside, I was told the outside heals quickly but inside takes a lot longer. We have to learn patience I am afraid, I am learning slowly and just keep at the exercises, I can see a definite improvement in my bend and walking in the last week. Hang in there and I hope you're getting a good night's sleep.
    • Posted

Hi sandra

I hope all is well with you, and you were able to have a restful nights sleep

As we have all stated before maybe I am overdoing it, and this is the way my body is telling me to slow down, patience is not one of strong suites, just ask my ex wife.

But I am learning,

Thank you so much, I hope you are enjoying your day, take care talk to you soon

Tom

• Posted

Hi sandra

Just checking to see how you day is going?

I hope you enjoyed you day.

I am doing ok watching TV with leg elevated with ice, very sore today, and hard to bend.

Did do my exercises plus went for a walk.

The weather here today was very nice today.

Well I hope you have a great night

Take care

Tom

• Posted

Hi Tom, I am Ok thanks, day started well, knee didn't feel too bad so I got on and did some housework and a short walk to my local shop, big mistake!! My knee swelled up and became very stiff and sore, have spent rest of day with leg elevated, ice and painkillers, it's so frustrating!! Swelling has gone down a bit now, so I am going to have an early night and hope it is better tomorrow, I am only going to do exercises and a small walk tomorrow and absolutely nothing else!! Hope you have a good day and your knee improves as the day goes on. Thanks for your support as ever.
    • Posted

Sandra,

I am sorry to hear that, I hope you will have a peaceful night, get some rest will check in with you tomorrow.

Tom

• Posted

HI Tom,

Hope you are having a good day.

We're you resting toda

Alan

• Posted

Hi Sandra,

Hope you're feeling better.

I had a good day, and probably the biggest test so far. I've been in the car for about 3 - 3.5 hours and in a busy shopping centre for about 2 hours.

Hopefully I'll sleep relatively OK. PG. If I have a good night it will be significant milestone.

Fingers crossed.

Keep you posted,

Alan

• Posted

Hi Alan, I slept well and the swelling has gone down, but I am going to take it easy today. I hope you're knee isn't suffering following your busy day yesterday, let me know how you are. I am travelling to Plymouth on Friday which will take 3 hours, my daughter has been doing a Fine Art degree and it's the opening night of her courses 3Rd year exhibition so I can't miss that!! I hope you got a good night's sleep and have a good day today - weather here is lovely at moment.
    • Posted

Hi Sandra,

Glad you slept well, and swelling is down.

I had relatively good night's sleep. Went to bed at 11.30pm, woke at 3.10am for bathroom, woke again 6.00, got up shortly after.

So, a really good night after that extremely busy day yesterday.☺

Woke a bit stiff, but that seems to be the norm.

I have a question when you (or others) say you have been for a long walk or shopping do you mean without crutches, or with one or two crutches?

Yesterday I used 2, but I don't think I could have managed with only 1 or none!

At home I am using one and feel I am ready to try none indoors.

Thanks,

Akan

• Posted

Hi Alan, pleased to hear you got a good night's sleep, I am always stiff in the morning, I start my exercises in bed before I get up to try and loosen things up. I don't tend to use crutches around the house as they just get in the way and I can manage without as there are plenty of things to grab hold of if I needed to, a week ago I took both crutches when I went out but my coordination with 2 was rubbish, so pt told me to use 1, I use it to help me walk normally with no limp, I have to concentrate really hard to walk as normally as possible, without a crutch I tend to limp and I don't want to get back in that habit. I have only managed to walk about 1 mile so far, I am going to try 1 mile with a walk round the shops today as I need a new outfit for my daughter's degree show, but I am not going to do any housework or anything else today as,I am fed up with this cycle of good day then bad day!! Hope you have a good day today.
    • Posted

Thanks Sandra.

I might try the same this week.

You must be very proud of your daughter. I hope you find a lively outfit and have a great day on Friday.

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

I am very proud, I'm sure I will embarrass her by getting emotional, but that's what mothers do!!

Take both crutches out with you, I took both but only put 1 down for a while until I was confident I didn't need the 2nd crutch, my replacement is in my right leg and pt told me to use crutch in my left hand and bring it forward in line with my right foot going forward if that makes sense, you may already know this, but I didn't have a clue beforehand so thought I would mention it in case. Good luck with your walking.

• Posted

Thanks Sandra.

I do walk a little without any crutches at home, but very conscious of the limp.

My leg overall feels a lot stronger, so I have to remind myself not to overdo it.

Enjoy your shopping. Yesterday I was in shock as to how many people spend bank holiday Mondays shopping (Yes, our long weekend is first Monday in June). I was close to shouting ' I'm a man, Get me out of heeeeere....

• Posted

You sound like my husband, not his favourite pastime either!! My mum and my other daughter are accompanying me today.
    • Posted

Hi Tom, how are you today?

Hope you got a good night's sleep. I have had a good day today, got a good night's sleep and walked to my local shopping centre did some shopping and walked back, so very pleased with that, now resting and icing as scar is feeling a bit hot and itchy and I don't want to overdo it.

Take care and I hope you have a good day.

• Posted

Hi Sandra,

Happy to hear you had a good day.

My night was ok was up every 4 hours or so, but not to bad. Was very stiff and tight when I woke. I had physical therapy session today, and that went well, did 10 mins on bike with full rotation both forward and backwards.

I am sore now after pt. So have ice in now.

I have a graduation today as my son graduates from a technical school, then on Thursday he graduates from high school, the he is off th the Marines. So should be a busy week.

I am glad you had a good day, take care

Tom

• Posted

Sounds like you're doing well, I have been seesawing on my static bike and nowhere near a full rotation yet, so well done.

Proud dad day today then, have a wonderful day with your son.

• Posted

Good stuff Tom, well done on the bike.

Congrats on the graduation of your son. You must be very proud too.

Both you and Sandra have big life milestones to celebrate this week, enjoy every second of it.

Today, I drove for about 30 minutes. Went on a Dual carriageway and also in hravy traffic to test the knee properly. So far so good. Just a bit swollen and stiff, icing now, will see what happens tonight and in the morning.

Like you I had a decent nights sleep, woke once for bathroom and then early this morning, I got up.

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Hi Alan

Brilliant news with the driving, it's another step forward, I am planning to have a go driving at the beginning of next week.

Hope you get a good night's sleep tonight.

• Posted

Alan,

Way to go!! I like sandra am going to try next week.

I am getting ready to go to graduation so let's see how that goes. Thursday's I think it will be tough as it is held outdoors in the football stadium so not a lot of room to stretch out.

Hope you have a good night

Tom

• Posted

Hi Sandra,

Hope your day is going well. Just want to say hi and thanks for all you have done.

Tom

• Posted

Sandra,

Hello how are you feeling today? I hope you had a restful nights sleep.

I am little sore as was on my feet a little more yesterday. I done therapy, then had graduation last night, so sleep was a little restless.

Woke up a little stiff as well, not to much swelling which I will take.

Just got done first set of exercises. Will not be able to get out and walk today as we have rain. So I will try to double up on the bike.

Well take care and I hope you are enjoying your day.

Thanks

Tom

• Posted

Hi Tom

Good to hear the swelling has improved, especially with your busy day yesterday.

I had a good day yesterday, very stiff again today, trying to loosen it up with exercises, I am meeting up with friends for dinner tonight so taking it easy now.

Hope you have a good day, make sure you get plenty of rest ready for your sons other graduation tomorrow.

• Posted

Hi Sandra, Tom,

Glad you are both feeling a bit better.

This is really some roller coaster ride we are all on. Good & not so good continuously. All in all it's unreal.

Overall I am doing OK, but I genuinely don't know how I would've coped if I did not find this forum.

Just Stop and think about it. Having no one who understands the TKR roller coaster. It would have been a thousand times more difficult.

Thank You to EVERYONE for sharing, listening and coaching. I am so grateful.

Thank You ALL,

Alan

• Posted

Hi Tom and Alan

You have both been a huge support along with everyone else, as you both say how would we have got this far without this forum.

Hope to continue receiving updates from you both on your progress, it helps so much to know you are not alone.

• Posted

Hi All,

Just a quick update:

I am 8 weeks PO. I went to my 6th group physio class yesterday. I was very stiff and sore going in, did some light bed exercises, Some streching and some exercise bike work. At the end I was a lot better.

My bend (flexion) was 100° and my straghtening was at 0°. So very happy with that. Thank God.

However I am just getting up from my second troublesome nights sleep in a row, lot of pain and lack of sleep. I am puting this down to doing too much in the last couple of days, I.e. Driving for 30 minutes; travelling as passenger for a couple of hours; walking around a very packed shopping centre etc

This is just an update to let people know, Overall I am happy with my progress, but even at 8 weeks be careful not to over do it.

Best wishes and Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Al,

Great news to hear you are doing well, sleep must be hard for some of us. As I am also having trouble sleeping it is 1am here in the states and can't seam to fall asleep nor get comfortable.

It could be done a lot yesterday.

I have a therapy session in the morning and graduation at night so will be a long day. I should have a measurement tomorrow last time bend was 94 and around 5 degrees to straight.

I am so glad you are doing well, and I hope you have a fantastic and pain free day.

Talk to you soon

Tom

So glad you are doing well,

• Posted

Hi Alan and Tom

Hope you are both doing well today. I had a really good physio session today, my bend is 110 degrees, very close to straightening leg and did 5 minutes full rotation on static bike, the seat went up higher than mine at home but still very pleased with that, she also tested the strength in my leg and said it is strong enough to drive, so going to try next week, overall I am feeling very positive today.

Hope you both have good days and Tom hope you are able to enjoy your sons event in the football stadium.

• Posted

Wow Sandra,

That is super news.Well done.

110 is really good I'm not sure if we actually need much more.

Re the bike, I have a small exercise bike at home, which is a good bit lower than the bike I'm the physio class. So last weekend I just placed a kitchen chair behind the bike and was able to pedal from there. It worked really well.

Anyway, your news is fantastic just in time for the graduation, I absolutely delighted.

Take care,

Alam

• Posted

Hi Sandra,

That is fantastic news, great job.

I also had a good therapy session today.

My son graduation was great 963 seniors graduated today.

Sad news my son was told he will leave for military on Sunday so I am sad he will only have a few days to say goodbye, but very very proud of him. Tears in my eyes.

I hope you have a great night take care

Very long day finally home time for ice ice ice

Tom

• Posted

Alan,

Hope all is well and you enjoyed your day.

It seams like we are all doing well, we are riding a bike getting some strength back, and some flexibility.

Great job to all.

Thank you for all your encouragement.

Thank you have a great night

Tom

• Posted

That is a quick call up. What branch of service will he be going into? I remember graduation during the draft. Many of my classmates were expecting their diploma one week and draft notice the next. I was in reserves and didn't have to worry plus I thought I was going into the naval air cadets program.....after 2 yrs college I flunked the physical....so much the better for it. Went to a 62 year reunion last weekend. I can guarantee none of them could get in their uniforms again. I was excited...they said they were bringing in strippers for our entertainment....they just didn't tell us they were our classmates. .......and life goes on.
    • Posted

Hello

He is going into to the Marines, he has been signed up for past year. He done the early enlistment, he has been doing weekly pt for past year. He was to leave in two weeks but was moved up on the list. He received the phone call right before graduation.

• Posted

Very very proud of him, he wanted this from the time he was six years old.

I hope all is well with you. And sorry the strippers were not that good

• Posted

Hi Alan

Up and about early today, ready for my trip to Plymouth.

Brilliant tip with the exercise bike, I will try that, the physio thinks I should be back on my road bike within the next month. I am not worried if 110 degrees is the best I ever get, I haven't been able to kneel for a long time. Just need to work on my walking distance and I think for the first time I am actually pleased I went ahead and had the operation. I had been thinking I should have waited until I was into my 50's.

Hope you have a good day.

• Posted

Hi Tom

I hope you are getting a good night's sleep after your busy week.

Congratulations to your son, he must be so excited if this is his childhood dream and it's wonderful as well as a bit sad when our children are all grown up and get on with their lives. You can take credit for your sons success, he couldn't have done it without you.

Hope you have a good day today.

• Posted

Hi Sandra,

Have a great day.

Enjoy every single second.

Be as proud as the proudest mother.

Remember every birthday.

Look at your husband and think how hard ye have both worked to help this happen.

Take it all in and enjoy the moment.

Best wishes,

Alan

• Posted

Sandra,

Thank you for your kind words.

May your day be filled with joy.

May your day be filled with happiness.

May your day be filled with memories.

Enjoy this special occasion.

Smile and the world smiles back.

Congratulations have a wonderful day.

Take care

Tom

• Posted

Hi Sandra,

I hope you had a wonderful day yesterday, and everything went ok. I hope your trip was not that long. Hopefully you had a great nights rest.

I am doing ok. Last night was the first without pain meds, still took the Tylenol.

Also feel a sleep on my side and with knee bent. So a little stiff today.

I also drove a little ways yesterday not to bad, so that is a good thing.

Take care and enjoy you day.

Tom

• Posted

Alan,

I hope all is well with you and hopefully you had a great nights rest.

I am doing ok, last night first with out pain meds, slept on side knee was bent so little stiff,

Doing exercises now ro get it loose. Also drove a little ways yesterday went well.

Take care and have a great day

Tom

• Posted

Hi Tom,

That's good news re driving and minimal meds, well done.

I had 1 to 1 physio yesterday. Went pretty well, bend at 104°.

She gave me some strength building exercises rather than just bed exercises. Some lunges, step ups, heel raises etc.

She told me to rest rather than take meds when pain hits, easier said than done.

But, all good here, leg iced and raised, watching rugby Ireland v South Africa and also euro soccer championship, great weekend of sport to watch 🤓

• Posted

Hi Tom

Had a wonderful day yesterday but totally overdid it, we are still in Plymouth as love it down by the coast, so I have just pushed through and overdone it again today, fortunately staying in self catering accommodation and now resting with ice, I even took my ice pack to the pub this afternoon so I could walk back 😂, my poor knee is very stiff and sore now so have taken some painkillers!

Hope you are having a good day.

• Posted

Good woman Sandra,

We'll doneed.

Thinking about you today, even my wife was asking how did Sandra get on at the graduation?

Delighted you enjoyed it, have a rest and a nice night.

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Thanks Alan and your wife.

We have a 3 hour drive back to home tomorrow, I might have to sit in the back of the car so I can put my leg across the whole seat with my ice pack, but it has definitely been worth it!

Enjoy the rest of your evening.

• Posted

Sandra,

I hope your day went well, drive not to long. Hopefully you get some rest and take it easy on Monday.

I am fine was out all day, just got home, time for some ice and Tylenol as there is some pain and swelling. I find if I am on my feet the knee gets stiff, also trying to remember that I need to bend knee when walking.

Strange that we need to remember how to walk????

Well have a good night

Tom

• Posted

Alan,

I hope all is well. How was the soccer games? Or should I say football games?

How are things going?

Busy day today was out all day, just home now, time for ice ice and Tylenol.

Have another long day Monday as need to travel 2 hours to say goodbye to my son, then two hours back.

Well hope you have a great night

Tom

• Posted

Hi Tom, struggling to sleep as can't get comfortable, I have totally overdone it and my knee is very stiff and sore.

I am having the same problem with bending my leg when walking especially when I am tired, I will rest tomorrow and see how it is on Tuesday.

Enjoy the rest of your day and try not to be too sad saying goodbye to your son, he'll be home on leave before you know it!

• Posted

Thanks Sandra

Hope you can get some sleep

Talk to you soon

Tom

• Posted

Hi Sandra

I hope you had a wonderful day. Without to much discomfort.

Today was a very long and painful day.

Started early with a two hour drive, then sitting up and down for four hours, then a two hour drive back. My son officially went into the Marines today so very proud and emotional day.

My knee is very sore and very tight. Hard to bend. No rest tomorrow as have pt in the morning.

Thanks for listening

Tom

• Posted

Alan,

HI I hope all is well with you.

Very long day, very painful and tight now.

Ice on now.

Have a great night

Tom

• Posted

Hi Tom

Sorry to hear you are suffering, unfortunately it's the price we pay at the moment for overdoing it and you had to go and wave your son off. Your pt session might help loosen your knee up.

I had a good day yesterday, I drove my car, just locally but it gives me a bit of independence back, I did full revolutions on my exercise bike and arranged to go into work next week to discuss returning.

Just woken u and my knee is feeling very stiff but I will start on the exercises to try and loosen it up.

Hope you get a good nights sleep.

• Posted

Hi Tom,

I am resting today, had a painful night. As Sandra says it's the price we pay for over doing it. I drove a very bendy and hilly mountain drive for an hour. To work and back (I didn't work, just testing the drive). Then went to the pub to watch Ireland v Sweden in the Euros. Sore last night and this morning, easing off now, so I will do some light exercises.

A big day for you yesterday, you must be a proud father. I wish him the best of everything good and I will say some prayers that he is always safe.

How is your recovery going overall, how would you rate it out of 10? The reason I ask is that up to a few weeks ago I would rate my recover 9 or 10 out of 10. But in past 2-3 weeks it would be closer to 7 out of ten.

Maybe this is normal?

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Hi Alan

I am pretty much the same, felt I was walking well yesterday so went a bit further than usual but today I struggled to walk half a mile, my knee is very stiff and sore so I am having a rest day. If you catch me on a good day I would probably say 8 out of 10, today is more like a 6!

• Posted

Thanks Sandra, I appreciate your comments.

I hope you feel better, I am now a bit better, just very tired and lots of little small pains.

• Posted

Alan,

Thank you very proud father.

I also had a very restless night, knew was very sore and stiff. Could not get comfortable.

I feel my recovery is going well on some days I would say a good day like Sandra is about 8 out of 10. Today 6 we will see after therapy

Have a great day

Tom

• Posted

Ho Sandra

I think most of us did a little to much the past few days. I had a ruff night sleep.

Just finished my therapy session. I have to work on getting leg straight I am 5 that has not changed from last Tuesday, however flexion or bend is at 107, now this is the start of my fourth week at therapy. He told me I should be 120 or more by week 6 of therapy and straight. So will continue to work hard.

Hope you have a great day

• Posted

Hi Tom,

Hope you're back on track by tomorrow.

I've just finished my exercises and feel a bit better than I did this morning. Maybe back at 8/10.

Going to try drive half an hour on motorway tomorrow morning, so hoping it works out.

Otherwise all good.

It's 4.30pm here, what time there?

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Hi Alan it is 130 am here. Just got done therapy. Straight is still at 5 bend is 107 so still have ways to go. I did drive myself to therapy. So not to bad.

Need to work on getting straight and stronger.

Right now I am about a 6 to 7 as stated just got done therapy.

Going to drive to grocery store to resupply the fridge.

How you are enjoying your day. The weather here today is fantastic right now it's 72 and cool, not bad for June.

Take care

Tom

• Posted

Hi Sandra

I hope you are enjoying your day? How was your night?

My night not so good, very stiff and tight, and had pain. Could not get comfortable tossed and turned all night long.

Done some exercises today but feel very tired so maybe time for a nap.

Well take care.

Thanks Tom

• Posted

Hi Tom

I am the same, not sleeping very well and knee is stiff and sore, I feel like I have come to a standstill or even gone a bit backwards in my recovery, it's very frustrating!!

Hopefully things will start to improve again over the next few days for both of us.

Hope your day gets better and you sleep better tonight.

• Posted

Hi Sandra,

Sorry to hear that.

I wonder is it a case that we (You, Tom and myself) are all just doing too much? and need to pull back, whether we like it or not.

OR

Is it just a timing thing and is to be expected, I am 9 weeks PO now. And I think the past 2 weeks or so have been similar. Can you remind me, how far re are out post op.

• Posted

Sorry, typo......

How far ye are out post op?

• Posted

Hi Alan

I am 5 weeks post op, it could be overdoing it I guess, I did have a busy weekend, I tried to take it easy yesterday, but maybe I need to rest for a few days, it's become very frustrating as I want to get out and about doing things! We are all going to have to be patient a bit longer I suppose.

Have you got a date to return to work? I am hoping to return at end of next week, I have a desk based job and mostly work from home so I am going to try and see what happens!

• Posted

Officially I return on July 11th, but could be earlier depending on mobility. I think we need to get into a routine again and that pushes us to do too much. That's me anyway
    • Posted

Hi Sandra,

From what I read the magic time frame seams to be at the six week mark or so. I hope that is true as I am hitting the 5 week mark today.

• Posted

Hi Tom

I will be happier when I can do more than I could before the op, I'm not at that point yet, I really hope it won't be too long.

Many thanks to you and Alan for all your support.

• Posted

I say the same the support and encouragement I received from Alan and youself have been the highlight of this whole process and along with everyone one else on this forum

Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

To all we will all get there, it's not who wins the race it is who finishes the race

• Posted

Hi all...I'm 11 weeks po. I saw marked improvement between 6 and 7 weeks. I was telling my pt guy to I have finally figured out this over doing issue. If I over do I make myself take it easy the next day. Still do my exercises just not running around. I just realized this...:-). I ever so slightly twisted my knee yesterday. I couldn't believe the pain I felt. I was still feeling it today. Took it easy today and went to pt this afternoon. In spite of how stiff I was I still measured 118! I was so happy. It will come.
    • Posted

Hi

Thanks for your words of encouragement, it really helps to hear from others further along, I know I overdo it on a good day and then inevitably have a bad day the next day, but just can't seem to get the balance right!

Good luck with your ongoing recovery.

• Posted

Sandra

Hi how was your day and night?

I hope all went well.

I had another horrible night unable to sleep, it's not pain it just uncomfortable.

Did have therapy session today that was painful, had me step up and back down step, that catching feeling was very bad during that as well it felt like it was locking for a split second, he does not know why???

The good news is I am about 2 degrees from straight. Flexion is 108 without pushing need to continue to work on that.

So again I say thank you

Take care Tom

• Posted

Hi Tom

I had a better night last night and haven't been too bad today thanks, stiffened up now so resting in front of the TV.

Maybe you should talk to your surgeon about the clicking to be on the safe side.

Sounds like you're heading in the right direction with the straightening and flexion.

Enjoy the rest of your day and get a better night tonight.

• Posted

Hi Sandra,

I just left a message with the doctor, I hoping I can get into see him soon. They are pretty good with that aspect. My next follow up is in three weeks so we will see.

Take care

• Posted

Hope you get to see the doctor sooner than 3 weeks and he can put your mind at rest, it's horrible when your worrying.

You take care too.

• Posted

Hi Sandra,

Hope you night and day went well. How are things going today?

I had to take pain meds last night to sleep as I was in alot of pain. There was also a lot of selling last night, so again another restless night.

Today the swelling went down but still some pain. I was able to go out to some stores today. Still waiting to hear back from the doctor.

Enjoy your day

Tom

• Posted

Hi Alan,

How are things going? How do you feel after the busy day? I hope well.

Its been ruff for me, yesterday and last night was painful had to take pain meds to try and sleep. Hard pt session yesterday. I left message with doctor about the catchin on the knee so waiting to hear from him.

Enjoy your day night. Take care

Tom

• Posted

Hi Tom

If you need pain meds to get some sleep don't worry about taking them, slew is really important. I still take medication some nights when I don't feel comfortable.

Sounds like the swelling was worse due to the physio, pleased to hear it's gone down today. I haven't had too bad a day, did 10 minutes on exercise bike, can now do full rotations and went for a 10 minute walk and did some housework, my knee doesnt feel too bad so I hope I haven't overdone it.

Hope you hear from the doctor soon, chase it up if you don't, you need your mind put at rest and take those pain meds if you need them.

• Posted

Hi Tom,

I hope you are well. Re sleeping, I take pain meds to help me sleep. When I do have a good night's sleep, I wakeep so positive and ready for action.

Today, I drove 180 km, and worked for about 7 hours, approximately 4 hours sitting and 3 standing with one crutch. I climbed the stairs (about 20 steps) 4 or 5 times, I used this as part of my strengthening exercises. Now I have my leg elevated and iced, I am swollen and sore, but I hope rest will help recover. I will let you know tomorrow.

I hope you improve soon, keep up the good work and you'll get there.

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Sandra

How are you doing today I hope all is well?

Are you able to walking up and down steps?

More the one at a time?

Thanks

Tom

• Posted

Hi Alan

How are you feeling?

I hope all is well and I hope you didn't over so it.

Are you able to walk up and down steps more then one at a time?

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Tom

How are you today? My knee is playing up a bit today, but could be worse!

Yes I can walk up and down steps in a normal way, although I don't do it that way when my knee is tired, I revert back to one at a time.

Hope you're having a good day.

• Posted

I am ok today aging another ruff night could not sleep.

As for steps I can go up and down one leg at a time. I don't have step in my house so I really can't practice. However doing step ups at pt, and I have s small step stool I use at home. But the pain I feel with the catching or pinching in the back of knee is very painful then the knee just swells and very stiff. I am chasing the doctor about this. All other exercises I can do without to much of a problem. I just pray the muscles need to get stronger.

Well have a great day and a great weekend.

Thanks

Tom

• Posted

Hi Tom

The back of my knee has started feeling tender the last couple of days, the area where you bend, I am assuming it is muscle tenderness where I am starting to do more. I see my surgeon for my 6 week check up on Monday, so if it continues I will mention it.

I have 2 flights of stairs in my house, so I use them along with the stair rails as part of my exercise routine.

Hope you get your catching problem sorted and enjoy your weekend.

• Posted

Hi Tom, Sandra,

Just checking in. I have been off line yesterday.

Well I really overdid it with the long drive and standing for hours on Friday, I have been sore and stiff since.

I am bending but just very stiff. In bed now, so rest might make the difference.

How are you both doing?

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Hi Alan

Sorry to hear you are suffering, I think you have to keep pushing it otherwise how do you progress and how do you know what you can do!

I have done quite a lot today, I walked for 30 minutes, did 10 minutes on my exercise bike along with my usual physio exercises and cut the grass in my back garden, which took 30 minutes. I have no doubt I will pay for it tomorrow, my knee is a bit stiff, I found the walk quite hard, it's not painful but it's not comfortable, still feels like there is a tight band across the to of my knee.

Hope you manage to get a good nights sleep and have a better day tomorrow.

• Posted

Hi Alan,

I am also sorry you are sore. I hope with rest it will improve.

I am still sore as well.

Hope tomorrow is better

Have a great night

Tom

• Posted

Sandra

I see you done alot today. I hope you have ice on it and you are resting.

Take care

Tom

• Posted

Hi Tom and Alan

Hope you are both having a good day today?

As expected I overdid it yesterday so bit stiff and sore today, I have just done my exercises and 15 minutes on the exercise bike today. On the plus side had a check up with my surgeon today and he's very pleased with my progress, x-Ray showed the replacement is exactly where it should be and he confirmed I will have swelling and good days and bad days until I am at least 6 months post op.

Take care.

• Posted

Sandra,

I am so glad you are doing well. Continue to do what you are doing.

I am doing ok, still waiting for doctor to call,

Done my exercises today and very sore so ice and tv now.

Enjoy your night

Tom

• Posted

Great news Sandra.

It's so reassuring when the surgeon gives the thumbs up.

Delighted for you.

Keep it up.

Alan

• Posted

Hi Tom,

Delighted all going well.

Interesting that we are all feelding a bit of pain at the same time.

I'm still the same, stiff and sore. My knee feels really hard and hot. I have it up and icing now, we'll soldier on.

TV for me now too.

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Hi Alan

It definitely is, I felt so much better after seeing surgeon, I don't think I realised how much I was worrying until he said everything looks good!

Sounds like we're all overdoing it to some extent, that's pretty much the norm for me now, I overdo it one day and accept that I will suffer the next day!!

Hope both you and Tom get a good nights sleep.

• Posted

Hi Sandra,

I hope your day went well.

I had another restless night as could not get comfortable again. I did speak to my surgeon and I will see him on Thursday.

I had pt session today, and still having alot of pain doing a 4in step up. My therapist was moving my knee and it seamed very loose moving side to side. Hopefully just need to gain more strength in muscles. I am right at straight and 111 degree bend. Six weeks tomorrow. Hopefully doctor will say all is good, got fingers crossed.

Have a great night

Tom

• Posted

Hi Tom

Glad you have an appointment with you surgeon on Thursdat, fingers crossed it's just a muscle problem and nothing more serious.

I have now totally abandoned my crutches and have to say my knee feels a bit wobbly when I walk any distance so I am putting it down to weak muscle tone, I have pt on Thursday so will check then, but not too worried as my surgeon was happy yesterday.

Have been into work for a meeting today and am going back on Thursday, so I will have to see how that goes!! But not too bad a day for me.

Take care and I know it's not easy, but try not to worry, worst case scenario - it will be fixable, but my fingers are crossed that it won't come to that.

• Posted

Thank you Sandra,

Don't over do it, when you go back to work.

Take care have a great night

• Posted

Hi Tom,

How are you today?

Did you get to see the surgeon?

I hope you are feeling better and the news is good.

I am getting on OK, bend still the same, straightness slightly less, but physio says I am overdoing it, need to ease off a bit.

In pssrticulsr I am driving too much, knee in fixed bent position too much, as a result straightness is suffering so I need to work harder and longer on the straightness exercises to compensate. Also muscle building exercises. This physio is excellent. I am so pleased with her. Very lucky too.

Take care,

Alan.

• Posted

Sorry typo, 'In particular. .....
    • Posted

Hi Sandra,

I hope all is well with you. Interested to se how your meeting went.

I am back at work 8am to 2pm, 4 days this week. I have found it good, but tough going. Next week I am going to work Monday, Wednesday and Friday, and on the advice of my physio rest on the days in between.

I think this will work better.

Hope all is good,

Take,

Alan

• Posted

Hi Alan

I am seeing my surgeon today.

I see you are back to work, that is fantastic, I hope you are able to rest and ice during the day.

I am doing ok. Still having pain and some swelling.I am working on the muscles and hamstrings, as I hope that is the problem I am having, but will see what the surgeon says,

I will keep you posted have a great day

Tom

• Posted

Hi Sandra

I hope all is well? I am getting ready to go see my surgeon in about an hour. So a little nervous. Still having pain and some swelling, still doing my exercises, went for a nice walk yesterday and did some steps going up was not bad however coming down was very hard knee did not seam like it wanted to bend.

Well I hope yor day is going well, take care

I will keep you posted

Thanks

Tom

• Posted

Hi Alan

How are you today?

I worked 8 am to 1 pm today, I went to the office to catch up on everything I've missed in the last 7 weeks which is a 3 mile drive so that was ok. It wasn't too bad but I had had enough by 1 pm, my knee was starting to stiffen and become uncomfortable, I came home and put my leg up with ice, it's still feeling quite stiff, I have physio in a couple of hours too! Not working tomorrow thank goodness and back in 8 to 1 on Monday.

• Posted

Hi Tom

Good luck with the surgeon today, let me know how you get on.

• Posted

Hi Sandra

I see you went to work today, hopefully you did not do to much.

I just returned home from seeing the surgeon

He explained the pain r the catching I am feeling is the IT band and hamstring that was very tight it happens in people who have had very bad arthritis. Knee looked good moved good I am at 120 bend and straight.

Continue to work on quad strength he said get out and use it, he was very pleased. He did prescribed an anti inflammatory medicine the keep swelling in line.

I hope your pt session goes well, I have one tomorrow.

Take care and thanks to you and Alan

For your support.

Have a grasp day

Tom

• Posted

Hi Alan. well done at being back at work, my GP would not let me back as my leg gets very stiff throughoit day when I do anything. I have to keep doing bike, short walks and physio but be careful with anything else.

?Take care and watch you don't overdo things and rest when home. I am glad you are breaking back in gently.

?Sue

• Posted

Hi Tom

You must be so relieved, just keep at those exercises and it should all come right.

Just back from physio and my knee is bending beyond 120 degrees, but extension isn't quite there, so have some new exercises to work on that and I'm still not quite walking correctly although she said its improved from last time but she's given me some new techniques to try around the house, like a really exaggerated walk, bending my knees as I go as though I'm peddling a bicycle, it looks really silly, but apparently I need to educate my brain to bend my knee when walking! ??.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

• Posted

Hi Tom,

Glad it went well.

Are you happy overall?

120° bend sounds great.

Well Done.

• Posted

Hi Sandra,

Glad you're back and doing well.

Being able to say when you've enough and go home is great. I lucky on that score too.

I am icing as I type. I need to make time at work to exercise. I think it'll be grand if I can manage that. My PT is focused on strength building, which are easier to carry out in work rather than lying on a bed.

So I'm happy.

Anyone standing on the bad leg only yet?

• Posted

Hi Sue,

It's a pity he won't let you back even part-time.

My leg stiffens as the day goes on.

Mt PT is of the opinion that I am doing too much, I know I am. Yesterday she asked me to agree an action plan to ease off work for a while, so I am going to do Monday, Wednesday and a half day Friday. That's 1.5 days less than this week. I can see myself doing this for 2 to 4 weeks.

Right now I am icing big time as leg is swollen. Today was my longest work / driving day yet. If I have a good night's sleep I will be delighted. Last night was not great.

All in all I know I am overdoing it, I just need to overdo it a bit less.

Thank You for your caring and I hope you do really well too.

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Hi Alan

Make sure you listen to your knee with regards to work.

Have to say my employer is very flexible and they accept I need to do some exercises and walk around every so often, I also can work from home the majority of the time so I am sure that will help as I can elevate and ice a lot easier at home.

My physio had me standing on my operated knee and trying to do knee bends today! ??, Not easy, so I am now doing squats with both legs sliding up and down the wall, the exercises being introduced are becoming harder!! I jokingly said I was looking after my new knee and didn't want to wear it out ... not sure she got that I was joking! ??

Take it easy now and have a good evening.

• Posted

Something that came up today when I was chatting to someone whose partner had a take - have you been given a medical card to go through airport scanners, as I haven't?

• Posted

Hi Sandra,

Here in the states I was told don't need a card. Just let security know before going thru and they will scan the area or go through the whole body scan

Have a great day

• Posted

Thanks Tom, I am going to ask my physio if she knows just to be on safe side, the person who said this had tkr a year ago so it might have changed. But I know US airport security is really tight and let's face it we have the scar in the right place so can't see why it would be a problem!

• Posted

I have a trip coming in September so I guess I will find out then.

I forgot to tell you this afternoon I walked up and down steps at the local high school going up was ok coming down I just need to remember to bend the knee, same with walking. I now have ice on it.

Have a great night.

Tom

• Posted

I haven't booked anything yet, but hoping to organise a trip abroad somewhere hot beginning of next year so don't want any hassle at the airport!!

My problem seems to be remembering to bend my knee too!! I am also elevating and icing now.

Hope you get a good nights sleep.

• Posted

Well I hope you get some rest tonight as well

Thanks

Let me know where you are planning to go maybe we will get together

• Posted

Hi Sandra & Tom,

Icing now and watching Hawaii 5 0. ?? I know, I know, bur it's my wifes favourite.

I am looking to book a holiday in the next day or two. Probably Costa del Sol, just for a week,Wight my wife and daughter. Aiming for mid August. Already have Canary Islands to look forward to after Christmas.

I know Tom mentioned he has lost weiht, however I have put on about 5 pounds since op.

I believe getting a routine going again will help greatly towards getting back on track.

• Posted

Hi Sandra,

Apparently our c doctor v gives a signed letter.

Not great, security wise.

• Posted

Hi Tom

Wouldn't it be awesome if we could all arrange to meet up somewhere in the world at some point. We could have a knee replacement forum meet to compare notes on progress.

• Posted

Hi Sandra & Tom,

I have thought about is all hooking someday. Who knows?

Wouldn't it be amazing to do a sponsored walk to raise money for good causes.

Might never happen, but it's up to us to make it happen..........

I need a mdium term goal........

• Posted

Hi Alan

A sponsored walk somewhere we can all take part in is a brilliant idea, we'll have to see if we can come up with a good location for everyone who wanted to participate. We could raise money individually for our personal favoured charities, I have a couple that are close to my heart that I like to support.

• Posted

The airlines just look at you with a blank state and tell you to go stand in a more private area for screening. Even with the new body scanners they double zap you. Some of the international airports are a little easier to navigate. Schipol in Amsterdam was the most lax and LAX los Angeles the most difficult. Iwould guess with

this summer's Olympic games the security will tick up considerably.

• Posted

Hooking apparently means different things around the world....in the US.it refers to the activity of those engaged in the worlds oldest profession. I'd give it a try but afraid it might be a other blow to my ego as I would would be laughed at.....but what the heck, I could always lower my expectations and my price.

• Posted

Tom ....my 1st time through I was wearing shorts so they coud we the scar, had the medical card and a letter. They lady looked at all of it and told me to go stand in a private area and someone would scan me. On the return trip I left the card and letter in my suitcase and got the same treatment. Different air ppl orgs great you differently.
    • Posted

Hate auto correct....should have said..different airports.
    • Posted

Ha, Ha.

Thanks for making me laugh this morning .

😁Alan

• Posted

Sounds like it won't make much difference if I have a medical card or not!

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Haha the difference in language is funny, even in different regions in the uk, my dad is a Londoner and he used to say he was going for last knockings - what he meant was he was going for a drink before the pub closed, he got some very odd looks when he said it in a pub in Oxfordshire!! ??

• Posted

Hi Alan,

I hope you are having a fantastic day and you are not over doing it.

Have a great day

Tom

• Posted

Hello Sandra

I hope you are having a great day. Make sure you are taking it easy.

Have a great day and a fantastic weekend.

Tom

• Posted

Hi Tom,

All good here.

Was at work today but sitting most of it. Got to some exercises in work.

Home now, elevating and icing. Tomorrow is rest day, some driving early in the morning to have a look at some race horses. Then it's exercises, rest, rugby (Sth. Africa v Ireland) then exercise, then soccer, then rugby, Ireland v England under 20s in the World Cup Final.....Can't wait.

How are you doing today?

• Posted

Ho

I am doing fine today, ding some exercises.

I think I may just take it easy this weekend. I think we all need to take some time off.

Enjoy you soccer games.

Talk to ya soon

Tom

• Posted

Hi Tom

How are you, I hope you are getting a good nights sleep.

My knee was very stiff and sore yesterday, I don't think it like the squats the physio had me doing, then travelled for 3 hours as back in Plymouth this weekend helping my daughter to pack up her student accommodation, so will definitely be overdoing it all weekend, but looking forward to having her back home.

Take care and enjoy the weekend.

• Posted

Hi Alan

Hope your knee is behaving after working yesterday.

Mine was sore and stiff after the physio I think, not feeling too bad at moment, but I am helping my daughter pack up her students digs this weekend, so I will be going to work for a rest on Monday! 😉

Enjoy the weekend and all your matches, sounds like a busy day in front of the TV.

• Posted

Hi Sandra,

I hope you enjoy yourself and please don't over do it to much.

I am icing now as have some pain. Sleep was a little tough last night as I like everyone else we start to feel better then we over do it.

I will start my exercises in about an hour but for now ice and tv.

Take care and enjoy yourself have a great weekend

Tom

• Posted

Alan,

I hope your day looking at horses is going well. Don't over do it.

Enjoy your games today.

I am a little sore sitting with ice.

Enjoy your day

Tom

• Posted

Hi sandra

Have not heard from you for a few days.

How are things going? I hope all is well.

Things here are going well. I have two more weeks of therapy.

Still have a little pain but getting better every day.

I hope you enjoy your weekend

Take care

Tom

• Posted

Hi Tom

Good to hear from you.

I am doing well, been back at work over a week, now cycling my mountain bike 2 miles every other day, planning to gradually increase that, still only walking about a mile as I don't find walking comfortable, but hopefully that will improve as I strengthen the muscles around my knee with the cycling and the squating exercises the physio has me doing!

Good to hear your improving too, keep in touch with your progress.

Sandra

• Posted

Hi Sandra and Tom,

Glad you are both doing well.

Sandra, Fantastic cycling and walking so much.

I am doing fine, but not doing enough consistent exercises, need a kick where the sun don't shine'.

I am doing them hap-hazardly. I have started swimming / walking in the pool, must say I find it fantastic.

I am back at work, all fired up, but this week my boss is in Spain, so it's 5 long days, plus commute. I am really looking forward to it, but must exercise when there.

Anyway, I am delighted you are both well, keep it up. We must start thinking about the TKR sponsored walk........

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Alan,

Great to hear you are doing well. I must agree with you, I am getting a little lazy with the home exercises as well, and I can feel the difference. We just need to do them.

Keep up the good work, and yes we need to start planning the walk.

Take care

Tom

• Posted

Tom....as I've said many times...tkr is a gift that keeps on giving. As you may recall, I'm a year out on my last surgery. This morning around 5 I woke to the call of nature and responded accordingly. I got out of bed and fimed up my stance and. Started around the foot of the bed. We have a camelback trunk sitting there and about 4' to the closet doors. I was about 1/2 way past the bed when suddenly, without warning the leg crumpled, ripping the scar tissue and causing the hip to give all in the same motion. I went to the floor screaming, hitting the back of my head on the carpet, ripping a finger nail far enough to cause substantial bleeding, putting a burn on my shoulder and floor burn on my shoulder, bleeding all over the white carpet. Scared the hell out of my wife. She had her walker sitting next to her side of the bed and was trying to move it so she could help me ( which would have been another disaster if she would have tried.) in the process, she smacked the hell out my face with the walker. I laid there for about 5 minutes trying to get organized when it suddenly occurs to me the purpose of being up in the 1st place was needing to get too the bathroom. Finally I got spun around and got my good leg under me. I got square with her walker, locked the wheels and got to my feet. With the help of the walker I was able to complete my original mission then washed the bloody and beaten parts of my body then started the ice packs. This afternoon the knee and leg really hurts. You heard people in here talk about the MUA...well in essence that's what I had except I wasn't knocked out. It was like laying on your stomach and having someone grab your ankle and shoving it up to the back of your head without warning. Not only could I feel the the tissue tear I could hear it. Definately the most pain I've ever had with any of my surgeries.of corse it had to happen on a holiday weekend and I wo t be able to call my doc till Tuesday. I'm moving but my entire body hurts from the twisting and banging off the floor. Falls and old age are not compatible.

Hope You are having a good 4th. Rainy and cool here. Really unusual for the 4th of july

• Posted

I am sorry to here that. I hope and pray you will be ok.

As we all say ice ice rest elevate in this case ice all body parts.

Here in the northeast last few days were cool

Today a tad warm but not hot, crazy weather for this time of year.

Good luck to you

Tom

• Posted

God Bless you OFG.

I am sadeemed to hear that news.

I can only offer a prayer for a speedy recovery and wish you the best.

Take care and God Bless.

Alan

• Posted

Hi Alan

Good to hear you're doing well too.

Don't overdo the working this week, make sure you take a proper break and get some exercises and relaxation in, I know how easy it is to just have lunch at your desk and work through.

Any ideas on which country we should all meet up in for our sponsored walk ... ?

Take care, speak again soon.

Sandra

• Posted

Sorry to hear you're not too good at the moment, take care and I hope you improve soon.

• Posted

Thanks.....hope to see my surgeon tomorrow. The knee is badly a swollen. In now involved in one of those romantic three way love affairs that can be emotionally traumatic and draining: my recliner, my gelpac and my pain pills. So far everyone is being satisfied at my expense. Hope to get the chain broken soon. Its keeping me awake just lthinking about it.
    • Posted

Hi, sorry to hear about your fall, hope you recover quickly and feel better soon x
    • Posted

Hi Alan,

​Glad you are doing well, take it easy this week and be careful not to overdo things beiing full time in work and the commute too. Take care sue

• Posted

Hi Sue

How are you getting on, have you been able to walk your dog yet, I know you were looking forward to doing that?

Take care.

Sandra

• Posted

Hi Sandra, good to hear from you, reading your posts you have been recovering well. Unfortunately no, I haven't managed to walk Rosie yet. My walking is not good, can only walk for about 10-15 mins without getting stiff. I can manage pottering round house doing things but walking no.. My GP is not concerned and says it will just take longer than it does for some. She won't let me back to work either due to stiffness and swelling. I am a teaching assistant and with school holidays she won't let me back to Sept.

?Will just keep doing physio, bike and trying to walk a liitle further.

?Again lovely to hear from you, keep going with super recovery. xx

• Posted

Hi Sue

Sorry to hear you're still having problems walking, I can walk about a mile but it's not comfortable so I haven't pushed it further as yet, trying to strengthen my knee with various exercises and cycling. I have a desk job so returning to work hasn't been an issue, I think I would struggle if I had to be on my feet all day so pleased to hear you have a sensible GP who understands.

Keep up the exercises and I hope you will be walking Rosie very soon.

Take care.

Sandra xx

• Posted

Hello Sandra,

I hope all is well? How is your time at work?

How's the knee feel when you arrive home?

I am doing well, I have on more physical therapy session left this coming Monday.

Still have a little pain when trying to sleep.

Monday will mark the 8 week mark so bones should almost be healed.

I am going on vacation in two weeks to historical Williamsburg Virginia here in the states and that is a lot of walking so that will be the test.

Well I hope you are well and I will talk to you soon. Take care and as always I say thank you.

Tom

• Posted

Alan,

How are you doing? I hope all is well and things are going good for you at work?

I am doing well, one more pt session to go then I should be released. My knee is doing well still some pain at night.

I hope you are still doing your exercises.

Well have a great weekend and I will talk to you soon.

Has anyone made any plans for our walk???

Thanks

Tom

• Posted

Hi Tom

Pleased to hear you are doing well.

I am still gradually improving, I am not finding work too much of a problem, only working 4 days a week for 5 hours a day and 3 of those were from home so I can still put my knee up with ice, do a few exercises and walk about a bit when I need too.

I am still only walking about 1 mile, physio has told me to push it and do the mile, have a rest then carry on further to build it up. I am cycling my push bike about 3 to 4 miles most days. My knee is still a bit swollen and still have good days and bad days but probably more good days!

Enjoy your holiday and be careful not to overdo it.

Take care.

Sandra

• Posted

Hi Tom,

Great to hear from you. Glad you are doing well.

I am doing OK, have improved my level of exercise, but could do better.

I did a full weeks work last week and felt relatively good, just very tired.

I am using the swimming pool 3 times per week. Just walking lengths and swimming a few lengths on my back. So overall going well.

Re the sponsored walk, I would love that to happen. It will take some planning and organising. My initial thought is it might need two walks on the same day, either side of the Atlantic, and Down under if possible. Though I am up for travel anywhere. And any walkers are very welcome here.

Let's put the feelers out, and see how other TKRers' feel. All ideas on how to get started most welcome.

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Hi Sandra, hope you are doing well and still improving. Itook Rosie for a wee short walk yesterday and today, only 15 mins but two happy people. Luckily where i live I can leave her of the lead for half the walk before I am on a main road so that helps. Thak you for thinking about me. Take care  Sue xx
    • Posted

Hi Sue

That's great news I bet Rosie loved it, now you know you can do it you'll be more confident to take her out more regularly.

Unfortunately a little area of my scar has become infected, it was a bit red over the weekend and looked like there was some fluid so I went to the doctors this morning and have got antibiotics, it could be a stich that hasn't dissolved causing the problem, I don't know but I am bit worried as you hear about infection spreading to the replacement, I hope I am panicking unnecessarily!!

I am 9 weeks post op now and other than that I feel I have been doing pretty well. Thanks for asking.

Take care.

Sandra

• Posted

Hi Sandra,

Just saw your post about your knee having a little infection, glad you went to see the doctor. Keep a close eye on it don't hesitate to call the doctor if you feel it is not improving. Better safe then sorry.

I am 8 weeks today and just had my last physical therapy session today, things are going well was told just to keep doing home exercises.

Sandra my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Take care

Tom

• Posted

Hi Tom

No I definitely won't leave it, I only started antibiotics today so will see how it is in a couple of days.

Thanks

Sandra

• Posted

Hi Sandra, I'm sorry to hear about the infection but glad you saw it and got it sorted quickly. I too had an infection caused by the stitches about 6 weeks post op but got it sorted quickly with antibiotics. Hope it clears up quickly for you. Keep an eye on it and if gets any worse contact dr immediately. Take care s xx

Ps Yes so glad can take rosie out again xx

• Posted

Hi Sue

Thanks for your response, good to know even if you do get an infection it can clear up without any further problems, I have taken 3 tablets now and it definitely hasn't got any worse so hopefully tomorrow it will start to improve.

Enjoy your walk with Rosie tomorrow.

Thanks

Sandra x

• Posted

Hi Sandra . I had weeks supply, just make sure to keep well hydrated and rest too.

Am so glad can take rosie wee walks and will hopefully get further daily.

You take care and watch that knee xx

• Posted

Hi Sue

Hope you are well today.

I have a weeks worth of antibiotics too, it looks a little less red this morning and has scabbed over and is dry, I have taken the day off work to rest and let the medicine do its work!

Hope you have a lovely day, take care.

Sandra x

• Posted

Hi Sandra, I'm glad it looks a little less inflamed. Just keep an eye on it and rest up

My gp and consultant at the time were very good and kept in touch with me to insure didn't spread and only was in the stitches. Take care and keep me posted xx

• Posted

Thanks Sue

I only saw my gp, she asked a load of questions about stiffness and bending, took a look at it and gave me the antibiotics, she didn't mention getting in touch with the Consultant though she did say if it hadn't improved in a couple of days to go back. But I will be keeping a close eye on it and if I'm worried I will contact the Consultant's secretary.

Thanks so much for your support.

Xx

• Posted

I did type another reply but it has disappeared, I saw my GP on a wed to get sick line renewed, shetook one look at knee and it was because iwas so inflammed and I had a temperture  suspected an infection, She gave me antibiotics and I had to return on Fri, it was still inflammed and temp still high. In N.Ireand we have to be referred back to consultant if a problem so she rang hospital and he then rang me, asked loads questions and saw me first thing mon am before his clinic. He did tell me to rest and not odo it while on antibiotics. By that stage (mon am) iwas well on way to being better thankfully. It was very bad reaction to stitches healing but you can never tell, please keep an eye on it so it does not go sinister. Thankfully apart from the continual stiffness I'm now 17 weeks and can see a big change. Let me know how you go. XX

• Posted

You can't be too cautious......................

Take it from someone that's been through the staph twice and finally had to go through the eradication to the highest degree.....removal of the prosthesis, 8 weeks of antibiotic infusions, totaol of 4 months on a walker with an immobilizer then replacement of the prosthesis.

• Posted

I know, It was a little red on Sunday and a small area had a bit of pus so I rang doctors first thing yesterday it got more inflamed as the day went on, but I started antibiotics yesterday morning. I don't feel it's got any worse today, however I have decided to ring hospital tomorrow for further advice.

Thanks to everyone for all your support as ever.

• Posted

Hi Sandra, just thinking about you and dering how you are today? Did you ring the hospital and have any joy w them. Hope your infection improving xx
    • Posted

Hi Sue

How are your walks with Rosie going?

I did ring the hospital and went in and saw a nurse who washed and put a dressing on my knee, my surgeon was in the hospital so he came and had a look, he thinks it is an in dissolved stitch, I am seeing the nurse again on Friday and the surgeon on Monday. I also took a photo of my knee yesterday and compared it with today it isn't so red so I think the antibiotics are working.

Thanks for asking.

Sandra x

• Posted

Hi Sandra,

Happy to hear you saw your surgeon. Keep taking your antibiotics.

Hope everything else is going well for you.

Take care

Tom

• Posted

Hi Sandra,

How are you doing today?

I'm just back on line and catching up. I really hope the infection is on the mend. I'll say a prayer now.

Ple as e take care,

God Bless,

Alan

• Posted

Hi Tom

How are you?

I am feeling happier now the surgeon has had a look at it and will be seeing him again Monday which is reassuring and the redness is reducing so the antibiotics are starting to work.

Thanks.

Sandra

• Posted

Hi Alan

How are you?

The antibiotics do seem to be doing their job now, it's been a worrying couple of days but feeling reassured now I have seen my surgeon and knowing he will be checking it again on Monday. Bit annoying that my GP didn't follow it up and I had to sort it out myself, as Sue was saying in Northern Ireland the GP automatically contacts the Consultant and it's the same NHS!!

Thanks.

Sandra

• Posted

Good afternoon Sandra I hope you are still improving. That was a good idea taking a photo to compare to see if knee improving. Hopefully when you see the nurse she willbe happy with it.

​Did not take Rosie out yesterday or yet today think i overdid it and so she is enjoying chasing tennis  balls round the garden instead!!!! Make a good ball girl at wimbledon!!!!!

​You take care and look after yourself xx

• Posted

Sandra,

I am glad to hear you are doing better, and that the medicine is doing its job. I hope everything else is ok.

I am doing well, I am getting out more and walking alot. Have some discomfort during the night but nothing to bad. Still doing home exercises, but as Alan once said I need a good kick in the a** to do them everyday.

Well continue to keep us posted we are all thinking about you.

Tom

• Posted

Alan,

Glad to see you back on line. I hope all is well and things with work are good. How are you felling?

Tom

• Posted

Hi Tom,

All going well. Off crutches; walking OK, not perfect, but happy with the improvement.

How are you keeping?

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Hi Sue

How are you, it's so easy to overdo it isn't it.

I am ok thanks, the redness is slowly decreasing although it's still very red around the main area, but still have another 3.5 days of antibiotics so only half way through and I am seeing the nurse again tomorrow.

Take it easy and thanks for your support.

Sandra x

• Posted

Hi Tom

Good to hear you're getting along well, your 'patience' is starting to pay off! ??

I am doing pretty well, other than the infection, though I must admit haven't done my exercises much in the last 3 days, need to get back on that.

Take care and have a good holiday.

Sandra

• Posted

Hi Sandra, just wondering how you are and how you got on with the nurse today? xx
    • Posted

Hi Sue

I am ok thanks, the antibiotics are continuing to do their job and the redness is gradually decreasing, the nurse removed the scab to see if she could see a stitch but she couldn't, but she did say new skin was forming beneath, she called it something else, but I think that's what she meant and she gave me really clear instructions on how to look after the area. I have an appointment to see my surgeon on Monday, so they are keeping right on top of it. I am so glad I contacted the hospital myself, have to say they are being brilliant.

I have a very busy weekend planned as I will be 50 next week!! Hope you are ok and have a lovely weekend.

Thanks and take care.

Sandra x

• Posted

Hi Sandra,

Don't mean to jump I'm your post, but I am glad you are doing better. I hope you have a great weekend. And HAPPY BIRTHDAY! !!

Have a great celebration

Tom

• Posted

Hi Tom

When I respond to a post it is aimed at all my friends on here so you're not. Good to hear from you and thanks.

Hope you are well too.

Sandra

• Posted

Hi Sandra, I'm glad it is improving, keep looking after yourself and watch you don't overdo things. Let me know how you go on Monday.

?Have a lovely weekend and a brilliant birthday. I turned 50 ....2 weeks after my tkr so we both planned this op well our 50th present to ourselves.

?Have a brilliant weekend, but take care xxx

• Posted

Thanks Sue

Have to say a knee replacement was not part of my plan for my 50th, but saying that, other than the annoying infection it's doing really well, no knee pain when walking, no aching at night, I can now do about the same as I could before the op and that should continue to improve so I have no regrets!

I will let you all know how I get on Monday, thanks for the support I really don't know how I would have got through without this forum, my friends and family don't have a clue what it's like, though they have done their best to support me.

Have a lovely weekend.

x

• Posted

Hi Sandra,

Glad to hear you're doing well overall. Walking so far without any aches or pains is great, well done.

Just don't dance too much at your 50th??????

Have a great weekend and remember this is just the '29th anniversary of your 21st'....not 50th.

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

????

One of the bonuses of having a knee replacement at 50 is everyone saying 'you're very young to be have this surgery'! ??

Thank you.

• Posted

Hi Alan

Hope you are well and not overdoing things.

No dancing planned yet (although my daughter is trying to persuade me to join her in a pole fitness class!??, not sure I am ready for that!!).

I have a week of celebration planned, dinner with friends tonight, BBQ with family tomorrow, my actual birthday is Wednesday and my husband has booked a nice hotel with balcony overlooking harbour with dinner at Rick Steins restaurant in Sandbanks, Poole, then long weekend next weekend boating on the Norfolk Broads. I was planning to do something each month for my 50th year, so guess what May's was!! ??

Have a lovely weekend.

Sandra

• Posted

Hi Sandra,

I hope all is well, how are things going with work?

Things here are good just returned from vacation, had a good time long days look of walking, and driving. Was stiff at night and a little sore, but I seam to be ok.

Well have a great day, talk to you soon

Tom

• Posted

Hi Tom

Pleased to hear you had a good holiday and were able to enjoy it!

I have been out and about doing quite a lot of walking and cycling, some days it's really good and I almost forgot about it, then other days it reminds me it's still healing!

Not having any problems working, I work from home a lot so can do a few exercises and get up and move about when I need too which helps I think.

Keep up the good work and have a lovely weekend.

Sandra

• Posted

Hi Tom,

Glad to hear all is going well. Keep it up and we'll done.

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Hi Sandra,

Glad to hear you doing well. Super to hear you're cycling and walking, fantastic.

All pretty good here. Still get swelling and stiffness but very rarely get pain. Working five days per week, on my feet anything from 3 to 5 hours a day, depending on the day.

Swmming 10 lengths at tge moment, and walking 10-20 in pool. So all in all so far so good.

Maybe someday we can organise a sponsored walk.

Hope you had a great birthday week.

Best wishes, Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Hi Alan

Good to hear you're doing so well too.

I would like to start swimming but still waiting for the area I had the infection around to completely heal, it's not red or hot anymore but there's still a small scab where the surgeon thinks there's a stitch that hasn't dissolved, I have an appointment with him tomorrow to check it so will see what he thinks!

Sponsored walk would be good I think next year when we've fully recovered, how many miles are you thinking, we could meet up to do it perhaps, I would like to go to Ireland again, we've boated on the Shannon which was lovely and have decided not to go abroad after all next year as my Husband has started getting sun poisoning and it has put it him off going abroad!

Don't work too hard, take care.

Sandra

• Posted

Hi Sandra, How are you keeping and hope you had a great birthday week of celebrations. . Hope your are still continuing to progress and your infection is well healed up.  I have been on a lovely hoilday to Spain and loved being able to use the pool. I was also able to cycle and walk further than at home as all flat where we where staying. Back home and struggle with the hills round where i live. Reading your post about boating on the Shannon...it is beautiful and so relaxing. My husband and I were talking about doing that next summer as we havent done it for quite a few years.

​Take care  Sue x

• Posted

Hi Sue

I am well thanks and had a lovely birthday.

Pleased to hear you enjoyed your holiday, you obviously picked the right place to go. Do you have a letter or card to go through security at the airport? I keep meaning to ask about that but forgot every time I see the Consultant!

The infection has gone but the area still has a little red spot on it, the Consultant looked at it last week and says it's a stitch which will eventually make its way out, so I am continuing to keep a close eye on it and leaving it well alone and am not going to try swimming until it's completely healed over.

I am on holiday at the moment, boating on the Thames, I am finding the locks quite challenging with all the getting on and off the boat but my knee is holding up pretty well and the weather here has been fantastic for a change.

I hope you are well and keep persevering with those hills. Take care.

Sandra

• Posted

Hi Sandra,

?I don't have a card or letter, my consultant said I did not need one just to tell security. When going through security after bleeping in Belfast they went over me with the hand scanner and felt my knee whilst in Spain they just felt all round my knee after looking at the scar. My parents who were travelling with me asked why I didn't have to go through the big body scanner and apparently with a joint replacement can't.

?I'm glad your infection is improving, we all are getting there.

?You take care and enjoy the boat, we are going down to Enniskillen tomorrow just overnight. S x

• Posted

Hi Sandra,

I hope all is well with you. How are things, how is the knee?

I am doing great had my 3 month check up today and the doctor is very pleased, I have a 140 bend and that is about as far as the replacement goes. He said all looks great. My next follow up will be in 5 years yes that is right 5 years. He said just don't wear it out.

So I am very happy with it, still have some soreness but he said that is normal.

Have you heard from Alan?

Well take care hope to hear from you soon. Again thank you and to everyone for their support.

Still looking forward to our walk.

Tom

• Posted

Hi Tom

Good to hear you are doing so well.

I have just got back from a 2 week boating holiday, we had fantastic weather for a change and my knee is doing pretty well, walking is no problem but I struggled to step up onto the bank when mooring the boat, so I need to concentrate on strengthening the muscles, more squats I guess! Have to admit I haven't done any physio exercises the last couple of weeks, so I will get back on that.

I have to see my surgeon again at beginning of November, then he does an annual email with a questionnaire which he uses to decide if he needs to see me or not.

I haven't heard anything from Alan recently but I've had limited internet access!

How many miles are you thinking for the walk?

Take care.

Sandra

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.